Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Engine To Buy???

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1

Re: Which Engine To Buy???

LS/VTEC is damn good pretty much B18b block with B16a head. I'd prefer a B20 block.
    If that shop is saying $5,000 for a running swap is pretty good, though $5,000 spent on boosting your A20 will rake in a shit load more power then a stock B-series. For a boosted A20 you could have basic set up with an SAFC/boost retard for tuning for about $3,000. Then figure a well built stock engine will cost $1000 to $3000 for a fully built engine.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6

basically, the cheapest way to get the most power the most reliable way is to turbo the a20. it can be done rudimentarily for about $1000. and if you were prepared to drop $5000 on a motor swap, then $5000 can go a hell of a lot farther on a turbo a20. you could probably get your a20 handling 30 psi or so with that kind of money. and 30 psi on a a20 in a 3g will go a looooooong way. you could probably beat decently modded dsm vehicles with a set-up like that. but think about what you want. and what your wallet wants. because that will be the true test.

Vehicle
    86 Accord lx-i h/b

Quote Originally Posted by snoopyloopy
    basically, the cheapest way to get the most power the most reliable way is to turbo the a20. it can be done rudimentarily for about $1000. and if you were prepared to drop $5000 on a motor swap, then $5000 can go a hell of a lot farther on a turbo a20. you could probably get your a20 handling 30 psi or so with that kind of money. and 30 psi on a a20 in a 3g will go a looooooong way. you could probably beat decently modded dsm vehicles with a set-up like that. but think about what you want. and what your wallet wants. because that will be the true test.
    i'm interested in a turbo a20 setup and it seems to be cheaper than a b or h series swap, but what kind of streetability do you have with the car? and what kind of hp are we talking about? if i was to swap an engine i'd want to be modding it to about 250whp. i know that's attainable with a b18 and an h22, and i know that the transmissions used in those swaps have lsd's available for them. so i'm not worried about smoking one tire off with those. i'm not sure as to which transmission is even in my car, much less whether or not i can find an lsd for it. furthermore, i'm not really interested in boosting my accord. more or less because i thought that it would be extremely pricey... but i've got another car with factory turbo'd engine.. i wanted to go N/A with this one. i'm still interested though.
    "choose the form of the destructor"
    find the car here:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/sofaking_bob

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

adam is selling his set up....for 2gs witch is not bad all you have to do is take it apart and put in the new piston and then drop it in. yeah our weakpoint is the trans...but you can always make a adapter plate for a B series tranny

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

on a shitty tune my car ran like a factory boosted car, but the boost hit harder. I havent had any trans issues yet but there is alot more power to be had. I had my chassis wedged in the front with a preload on my swaybar and now it leaves perfect length stripes when i burnout, no lsd. LSD would be nice though, thats the only thing i wish i could get for the accord, but i still havent had problems with 1 legged burnouts etc. With all the calculators and stuff ive put the numbers through, the car on 13psi boost was making around 270hp at the crank (~235whp + or - 5-10hp) but this was untuned and only using a safc and a btm, i wouldnt reccomend running over 10 ish psi with an safc setup. On a good tune it should have made alot more power, but even with 13psi on slicks untuned it should have been a high 12 sec car, but i lost my oil pump and destroyed my main bearings. Pistons and ringlands as well as block etc were all in good shape after the boost too, as the entire motor was stock.
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    86 Accord lx-i h/b

235 to the wheels would be quite acceptable.

that's a good idea with the b series tranny. i'd like to see that. i'm thinking if it's possible and even remotely affordable that i'll be going with the h22. that's like finding a leprechaun riding a unicorn in atlantis or something.

i appreciate the info though.
    find the car here:

Vehicle

btw, you do know that a b18c5 makes 195 hp and the b18c type-r makes about 220 hp if i remember correctly. same as the h22. only difference is the h22 has more torque. it might be cheaper and easier for a b-series swap. but the h22 is a good motor, arguably better than a b18c. it all depends on personal preference in the end.

Vehicle
    86 Accord lx-i h/b

Quote Originally Posted by snoopyloopy
    btw, you do know that a b18c5 makes 195 hp and the b18c type-r makes about 220 hp if i remember correctly. same as the h22. only difference is the h22 has more torque. it might be cheaper and easier for a b-series swap. but the h22 is a good motor, arguably better than a b18c. it all depends on personal preference in the end.
    i thought that the b18c5 was the type r and the b18c1 was the gsr... i could be wrong. i think that there's also a major price difference in between the gsr and the type r and both are quite a bit more than an h22, but yeah, it does all come down to preference.
    find the car here:

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by sofaking_bob
    i thought that the b18c5 was the type r and the b18c1 was the gsr...
    no, you're not wrong. those are the usdm engine codes, though. if i'm not mistaken, the jdm type-r is known simply as the b18c-r. although it's listed as 200 hp, not 220. and now that i think about it a little more, the old type-r motor, the b18c-r has 200. the new type-r motor, k20a-r has 220. so the h22a with 220 does have a little more power along with the torque that the b18c-r might lack.