Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Engine To Buy???

LX User
    Vehicle
    1988/Honda/Accord

Exclamation Which Engine To Buy???

Well i just got off the phone with a local shop, and anyone in oregon should know them Garage 808... Anyways i asked them about what motor swap would go good with my 88 accord.. The first thing he asks me is "Do you realy like your car" Im assumming that he was just going to tell me to sell my car and Civic or a Teg or something like that. But anways i asked about how much would be for a H22 and he said about $5,000 for everything and then i told him that i though the H22 is pretty heavy, and he said "yeah but a lot of power (200 HP)" which is true then he said we could go the B16 GSR route which if we went the i would only get about 150 HP. But its much lighter. Basically i just wanted to hear from some people who have done both the H22 and the B16, and your experiences. And how is the handling with the H22 in as well as the B16?
    -Pat-

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

Re: Which Engine To Buy???

well i dont think anyone has done the h22 thats on here but i do belive a couple have gone the b series route but truly put that money into a turbo and some internals and u could esayly get 400whp with the a20

well there is only a small number of h22 on this site, by that i only mean 1 maybe 2. they all have no complaints but if you need to work on something under hood of your car, good luck. there looks like no room at all to do anything b/c that motor is so daamn big. i would prefer gsr but in powerwise
    h22 would be my path but have fun

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthrea...ght=motor+swap
    the only h22 swap i know of. see for your self
    and this one to be more precise and i think there is also a vid too
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthrea...ght=motor+swap
    Last edited by reanimator420; 06-28-2006 at 02:46 PM.

SEi User

Depends if your after go kart handling or all out drag car really thats what you have to decide. And as the others said a well built A20 with Turbo could be done for similar price, or maybe even consider sourcing a B20A if it's not going to get abused much.
    Personally i'd consider a B18C from Type R with a supercharger could knock out easily 270-300bhp and won't be too heavy.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

a stock A20 turbo will make more power than that h22 is NA, and can be done for maybe 1/5 the cost of that swap, depending on how wisely you spend your money. A fully built A20 for 300-400whp will still be probably less money than that H22. I guess it depends how fast you want to go and how much money you wanna blow.
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

^ that is the damn thing!!!

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1

Well I have heard some bad and good about Garage 808. There is one member in Eugene that did a B16 swap himself for dirt cheap and I think he was talking about an H22 swap. For H22's I have seen a few droped in but never have heard of one running in a 3G yet.
    For money wise you could turbo your A20 and get much more for your money compared to a swap. If you really have the money I can build you a turbo for cheaper then garage 808 can offer. Plus since you are close by I would be willing to help install everything.
    Last edited by Justin86; 06-28-2006 at 08:50 PM.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

Quote Originally Posted by Justin86
    Well I have heard some bad and good about Garage 808. There is one member in Eugene that did a B16 swap himself for dirt cheap and I think he was talking about an H22 swap. For H22's I have seen a few droped in but never have heard of one running in a 3G yet.
    For money wise you could turbo your A20 and get much more for your money compared to a swap. If you really have the money I can build you a turbo for cheaper then garage 808 can offer. Plus since you are close by I would be willing to help install everything.

there you go, justin will turbo your car. I dont think youll regret any of his work
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6

Quote Originally Posted by rjudgey
    Personally i'd consider a B18C from Type R with a supercharger could knock out easily 270-300bhp and won't be too heavy.
    sleeve it really good and run a turbo on there as well. i've seen a few ford engines that are s/c and tt, so i figure it's time someone made an s/c-t honda engine too.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by snoopyloopy
    sleeve it really good and run a turbo on there as well. i've seen a few ford engines that are s/c and tt, so i figure it's time someone made an s/c-t honda engine too.

but why????? too much money and pointless imo.
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6

Quote Originally Posted by gfrg88
    but why????? too much money and pointless imo.
    no, not necessarily pointless. just not the cheapest way to make power. but it sounds good. and it could work almost like staging turbos. although the sc will probably be the limiting part of the set-up because the turbo could probably boost more than it can flow.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1988/Honda/Accord

Justin86Well when i called them they said the only swaps that they could to were the H22 and the B16 GSR, They never said anything about an A20 Turbo how much do you think it would be to get the engine and the turbo, sorry if i sound really unexperienced about my engine its becuase i am, im here to learn though...Umm yeah i am all for saving money, the only tricking thing is, when i was planning on doing this is when i get home from basic training in December i dont know where i will be going after that. I will only be home for a month. How much do you think it would be for the Turbo A20? Does anyone know how much the H22 weighs compared to the A20 Turbo?

Vehicle
    86 Accord lx-i h/b

first off, 5 grand for an h22 is an outlandish price. if that's 5k for the whole swap that's different. but you can buy a good h series for like 1500 bucks.

second, there's no such thing as a b16 gsr. the integra gsr used a b18c. those will run about 3k out of your wallet(maybe, maybe not coming with a transmission).

the b18 has a larger aftermarket than the h22 and LOTS of people have them. i'm sure this shop could do a b18 ls/vtec swap, if you're gonna turbo something other than an a20 that'd be the way i'd choose to go.
    "choose the form of the destructor"
    find the car here:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/sofaking_bob

LX User
    Vehicle
    1988/Honda/Accord

oops my bad on the whole GSR thing, umm yeah they said 5,000 for everything, but i am starting to lean away from the H22 because i really do like handling and the fact that the H22 weighs so much itsn't appealing. How much horse would the b18 ls/vtec swap get me? your saying that it might not come with a transmition? What kind of transmition would i need for that?

Vehicle
    86 Accord lx-i h/b

Quote Originally Posted by Trick87Accord
    How much horse would the b18 ls/vtec swap get me? your saying that it might not come with a transmition? What kind of transmition would i need for that?
    just to clarify what i said eariler. there's a difference between a gsr b18c and a b18b ls/vtec. a b18 ls/vtec is a hybrid motor built up of parts from different motors. there are many websites that explain exactly what goes on with it, and many different results. that being said, there's really no definite hp rating for an ls/vtec. most people beef up the internals and go from there. then boost. i'd say somewhere upward of 250hp to the wheels would be acheived pretty easily with a turbo setup. it has many advantages, such as being much cheaper than a gsr or type r swap. the b18b has a more power in the bottom end so you'd take off faster and with the vtec head, you'd have the intake enough to keep going.

as far as the tranny goes, a y1 or s1 from a crx would be the way to go. i've heard tell of a ys1, but i've never come across one. there's a site out there something like "h2b.com" that makes a plate to mate up the h22 engine with that same transmission. but if you're getting this done at a shop and paying them to do an entire swap, you won't have to worry about that. but it'd be nice to know what they were putting in your car.

after seeing a thread where someone actually managed to get an h22 into a 3g, i'm kinda more excited about that than the b-series.
    Last edited by sofaking_bob; 06-29-2006 at 03:51 PM.
    find the car here:

LX User
    Vehicle
    1988/Honda/Accord

So your saying that they B18B would be a better engine for me, yeah i like the idea of taking off faster, just incase someone might wanna ... well you know... :-) So after the B18 gets swapped over then I would turbo it? Also i was looking at this site called JDMShit.com and i see a B18B, and a B18C and the B18C is almost 2,100 dollars more then the B whats the difference?
    Last edited by Trick87Accord; 06-29-2006 at 04:09 PM.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX

Hmm.. does this garage 808 have a website?
    Oregon State! Fight! Fight! Fight!

Vehicle
    86 Accord lx-i h/b

Quote Originally Posted by Trick87Accord
    So your saying that they B18B would be a better engine for me, yeah i like the idea of taking off faster, just incase someone might wanna ... well you know... :-) So after the B18 gets swapped over then I would turbo it? And the B18b comes with the Vtech head right?
    i hate being confused. i'm not really saying that any of these engines would be better. i'd love to have a 3g with an h22, a turbo a20, a b18c gsr, b18b ls/vtec, or a b20a2. any one of them is a good choice.

the b18b is the building block of the ls/vtec frankenstein. a stock b18b is dohc, but is not vtec. i've got an integra gs with a b18b and i can tell you that it is indeed fast on takeoff, but after that it's kinda bleh. but no, a b18b does not have a vtec head. you or the shop will have to source one out from a gsr, but that's not hard.

a b18c is both doch and vtec. it's got hella crazy high end power as well. it's was probably the most coveted honda engine until the k-series came out. that's why it's so much more expensive than the b18b. this choice to me is the best. it's easy to find, there have been quite a few more success stories with swaps on the board using those engines than h22's.

turbo is all on you. some people can't live without it, some people can't stand it. if i had a ls/vtec, i'd waste very little time before i boosted it. but if i had a b18c or an h22, i'd keep it N/A. that's just my preference.

but i'd ay the best thing for you would be to study up on each one and find out which one would be the best for your tastes, wallet and what kind of driving you're going to be doing with the car.
    Last edited by sofaking_bob; 06-29-2006 at 04:28 PM.
    find the car here:

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

turbo LS/Vtecs are pretty hardcore. My friend has an NA LS/Vtec in his gutted civic (173whp, on a Dyno Dynamics dyno, thats over 200hp at the crank) and i walk away from him in every gear. With our best passes in hand, ive gone 6 tenths faster than him on a cheaper setup, untuned.
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter
    turbo LS/Vtecs are pretty hardcore. My friend has an NA LS/Vtec in his gutted civic (173whp, on a Dyno Dynamics dyno, thats over 200hp at the crank) and i walk away from him in every gear. With our best passes in hand, ive gone 6 tenths faster than him on a cheaper setup, untuned.
    and spinning the tires all throughout first and second gear
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Accord of the Year - 2008

Vehicle
    89 Accord No Motor and 88 Accord HB LX-i

Here is a good motor to buy-----------------------------------------
    LX-R coming soon Here's a hint. 89mm stroke/ 41.60cc head /ARP head & main stud's /SRP piston's 81.5mm 9:5:1/Crower Rod's & more to come

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by TWOLOUDNPROUD
    Here is a good motor to buy-----------------------------------------
    can i put a vtecH head on that??? and how much horsepower do you think thatll get me??

seriously though, read up on the turbo faq... it seems as if you have no idea on what justin or you or whover is going to work on your car is going to do....
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Accord of the Year - 2008

Vehicle
    89 Accord No Motor and 88 Accord HB LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by gfrg88
    can i put a vtecH head on that??? and how much horsepower do you think thatll get me??
    seriously though, read up on the turbo faq... it seems as if you have no idea on what justin or you or whover is going to work on your car is going to do....
    LX-R coming soon Here's a hint. 89mm stroke/ 41.60cc head /ARP head & main stud's /SRP piston's 81.5mm 9:5:1/Crower Rod's & more to come

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LXI Coupe

wow, i never knew that turbo a20 could walk the ls/vtec, how reliable is it??? im lookin for long term ideas for my 3g....
    V12 Supercharged Toyota Accord