Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: My suspension thread

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

Re: My suspention thread

Quote Originally Posted by mkymonkey
    ok so where do you people go to get shit pressed in? im a noob when it comes to suspension...shit im a noob at a lot of things lol

I took my LCA to O'riellys Auto parts. They were referred to me by napa

Quote Originally Posted by keruhas184
    Those nuts on the studs, are you going to take them off? Or will they act as spacers with your extended wheel studs?
    Those are the lugs that hold the wheels on. The only spacer I am using is one washer underneath the rotor on each wheel stud.
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

Vehicle
    Previous: '89 Accord LXi hatch, '89 Accord LXi hatch, '86 Prelude Si

Quote Originally Posted by Legend_master
    The only spacer I am using is one washer underneath the rotor on each wheel stud.
    Are you using cut or ground washers to offset the rotor?
    Mike

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by AZmike
    Are you using cut or ground washers to offset the rotor?

I'm not sure, what is the difference between the two?

Vehicle
    Previous: '89 Accord LXi hatch, '89 Accord LXi hatch, '86 Prelude Si

Cut washers are stamped out of a sheet of steel. They are inexpensive, but have loose manufacturing tolerances. This type is much more common. Ground washers are machined to much more precise thicknesses with sides that are much closer to parallel.

If your four washer spacers are not he same thickness the rotor will wobble between the pads as if it was warped.
    Mike

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by AZmike
    Cut washers are stamped out of a sheet of steel. They are inexpensive, but have loose manufacturing tolerances. This type is much more common. Ground washers are machined to much more precise thicknesses with sides that are much closer to parallel.
    If your four washer spacers are not he same thickness the rotor will wobble between the pads as if it was warped.

I beleive they are cut washer, but I used a guage to make sure that the washers are all the same thickness. The one thing I am worried about is the pressure that is applied to the rotor when the wheel is turned and the car is moving. I know that the studs actually flex a little. I guess I will just have to see how this turns out and go from there.

Vehicle
    1988 EX-i 4dr, 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 2006 TSX

Did you have to use the washers to make your brake setup work? could you not have used washers to space the caliper instead of the rotor?

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Hash_man_Se_i
    Did you have to use the washers to make your brake setup work? could you not have used washers to space the caliper instead of the rotor?

I could have used them on the caliper, but that would be a hassle to work with every time I wanted to change brake pads. The washer has to be held in place while the caliper is placed on there. You could also shim some metal off the caliper bracket to allow for the alignment to work, but that has to be perfect and if you shim to much you will come into more problems.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Yeah i used spacers it is a PIA kinda but it only adds like 5 more mins to a brake job.

I really surprised you didn't do the grind job> I think your set up is better than mine as the DIY since grinding is easier than making 4 mm spacers.

If there interest I can whip up a spacer .I got them drawn out just never got around to it. Ill make them you R+D them and get a CNC shop to make a few dozen.

wp

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord
    Yeah i used spacers it is a PIA kinda but it only adds like 5 more mins to a brake job.
    I really surprised you didn't do the grind job> I think your set up is better than mine as the DIY since grinding is easier than making 4 mm spacers.
    If there interest I can whip up a spacer .I got them drawn out just never got around to it. Ill make them you R+D them and get a CNC shop to make a few dozen.
    wp

Your spacers are actually a little different then mine. THe legend offset is different then the prelude (witch is the rotor I believe you used). I am curiose to see how the setup works with the store bought washers. If this setup works well, a big brake upgrade kit from a type R wil be a simple upgrade.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Nice setup,I'm going to try that brake setup myself,looks pretty easy. i just did a lot of this myself. 89 lxi knuckles,arp studs,powdercoated hubs,new wheel bearings,moog lower ball joints,new upper control arms and new kits to rebuild them,urthane end links on the front sway bar, rebuilt the lower control arms, still have to put in the new steering rack,and new strut rod bushings,springs and struts. moog tie rod ends,installed and rebuilt a factory rear sway bar. the only difference was that I did all the bearing,wheel stud pressing,and bushing replacment. for a note,replacing the lower arm bushings is not for the mechanically challenged or those with a temper. I had an entire machine shop at my disposal and it was a son of a bitch. I have a link on here somewhere with some of the pictures.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile
    Nice setup,I'm going to try that brake setup myself,looks pretty easy. i just did a lot of this myself. 89 lxi knuckles,arp studs,powdercoated hubs,new wheel bearings,moog lower ball joints,new upper control arms and new kits to rebuild them,urthane end links on the front sway bar, rebuilt the lower control arms, still have to put in the new steering rack,and new strut rod bushings,springs and struts. moog tie rod ends,installed and rebuilt a factory rear sway bar. the only difference was that I did all the bearing,wheel stud pressing,and bushing replacment. for a note,replacing the lower arm bushings is not for the mechanically challenged or those with a temper. I had an entire machine shop at my disposal and it was a son of a bitch. I have a link on here somewhere with some of the pictures.

Awsome dude, sounds like a very nice setup. They charged me $91.00 to put 4 bushings in. I think I got ripped off, but I couldent find anybody else around here that would agree to do it. I even cleaned the old bushings out before I brought it to them. Good luck with your setup

Vehicle

Awsome dude, sounds like a very nice setup. They charged me $91.00 to put 4 bushings in. I think I got ripped off, but I couldent find anybody else around here that would agree to do it. I even cleaned the old bushings out before I brought it to them. Good luck with your setup
    I could see them charging you 91 bucks to remove that metal sleeve on all four,but that was just to press them in? thats a rip off!!! heres the link https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52746

Vehicle

I could see them charging you 91 bucks to remove that metal sleeve on all four,but that was just to press them in? thats a rip off!!! heres the link https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52746

They still had to remove the metal sleeve. I melted the rubber out and left the sleeve in there.

Vehicle

They still had to remove the metal sleeve. I melted the rubber out and left the sleeve in there.
    that was fair then,the only way to get those out is to remove the rubber part,then you have to chisel through the sleeve all the way down,then knock a corner of it down and basically hammer it until it peels out. you can't press them out,the sleeve cold welds itself in there over the years,and it's too thin. it's a son of a bitch to get out. I almost went and bought rebuilt control arms,and I had paid 50 bucks for these for cores to rebuild. when i tried to press one of the bushings out,it flew out of the press and went almost 20 feet. that was after turning arbors for pressing them out.

Vehicle

that was fair then,the only way to get those out is to remove the rubber part,then you have to chisel through the sleeve all the way down,then knock a corner of it down and basically hammer it until it peels out. you can't press them out,the sleeve cold welds itself in there over the years,and it's too thin. it's a son of a bitch to get out. I almost went and bought rebuilt control arms,and I had paid 50 bucks for these for cores to rebuild. when i tried to press one of the bushings out,it flew out of the press and went almost 20 feet. that was after turning arbors for pressing them out.
    well that is a little more settleing, I still belive that they used a press to remove the old sleeves, but either way I am just glad it is done.

Vehicle

well that is a little more settleing, I still belive that they used a press to remove the old sleeves, but either way I am just glad it is done.
    I would like to know how they did,I made those special arbors outof steel that fit inside the old bushing holes and used a 20 ton press,all that happened was the bottom plate failed and the part flew out. the sleeve didn't move. I put so much pressure on the sleeve that it buckled a 3/8 thick steel plate.

Vehicle

ok Everybody here is the picture thread and I updated the first post a little.

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthrea...966#post654966

Vehicle
    88 LXi

I would like to know how they did,I made those special arbors outof steel that fit inside the old bushing holes and used a 20 ton press,all that happened was the bottom plate failed and the part flew out. the sleeve didn't move. I put so much pressure on the sleeve that it buckled a 3/8 thick steel plate.
    I did the same and I never got them out of the spare set of arms I have. I think they must have made a cut in them and tried to peel them out.

wp

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

Anyone tried VW Corrado discs?

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by carotman

the guy at fastbrakes told me the offset is very different (much deeper I believe), but we can make them work.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by carotman

Yeah its the G car rotor. Very hard to find least for me. theres another post on it somewhere here. It's pretty close.

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthrea...t=53188&page=2
    EDIT: post #28

wp
    Last edited by Oldblueaccord; 08-19-2006 at 06:38 PM.

Vehicle

Re: My suspension thread

I just thought I would update a little. After driving around the brakes work great, I still have not been able to bleed the brakes properly. I am going to wait until I put my new rear calipers and SS brake lines before I bleed again. I can lock up the front brakes with ease. With all the poly bushings and replaced ball joints, the car handles like a dream. There is no slop in the front suspension at all. The 35/40 prop valve seem to help a lot with the rear brakes also. Also there is no odd rotor wear or anything, the pads completely cover the disk and are wearing properly.

Vehicle

Just a little suspention update

I modded rear Legend calipers to fit on my car. Here is the thread and a little comparison pic.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe

pretty

i wanna do a meet so bad now....well do it sometime soon
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 2drSE-i
    pretty
    i wanna do a meet so bad now....well do it sometime soon

Bring your car down here and I will upgrade your brakes. All you need is Type R calipers, Legend rotorss and we can do the front. Then throw on some Legend calipers in the rear.