Thread: uhhhhhhhhh hi!!

DX User

uhhhhhhhhh hi!!

Hi everyone i'm a newbie! my name is Destiny and I'm 17. I live in Nebraska. Ok I'm sorry if this was already posted I searched the engine and I found one that said Buying and Accord but it didn't work anymore. Well the question is my cousin's roommate is selling a '86 honda accord for $400. I really don't know that much about it but I'm going to stop by and see it today or tommorow. I know there's a hole in the motor (but he has a friend that does welding) and the bumper is off (but since he works on cars he said he would put it back on). I wanted to know what should I look for when I go Check it out. I know I should check miles, overrall condition, how it shifts etc. I really don't know alot about accords (that's why i'm here). But I don't want to dump alot of money in it if it won't last ya kno? So if anyone could help me I would really apperciate it....thanks!

Vehicle
    2005 ES2 Civic, 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4

Re: uhhhhhhhhh hi!!

hole in the motor???? that doesn't sound like a very good deal.

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Hatch (Sold),1989 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 88 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 89 LX-i Sedan (RIP)

Is it a hole in the Oil pan or a hole in the block itself
    Oh Yeah Welcome

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LXI Coupe

um, hole in the motor?? maybe there is not motor? lol. if there is a hole in the motor, i dought its a good deal. lol.

oops forgot Welcome!!!
    V12 Supercharged Toyota Accord

DX User

i'm not sure . I will find out for sure. What else should I look for?
    Last edited by LilMizzdede; 06-30-2006 at 10:29 AM.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LXI Coupe

just take a bunch of pics of the car, and post them up, we will let u know right away if its really worth it or not, and find out forsure everything about the car, what the hole is from, has it been in accident, and has it ever been repainted. those are some of the first questions....

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe

how in the world would there be a hole in the motor.......anyway welcome to the board, well help ya out.
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

prolly just a hole in the carb cleaner or something, but by the sounds of it, doesnt sound too great
    and

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LXI Coupe

^ most likely what he said.

Vehicle
    72 145s my dad has the million k 87 lx

hole in the motor... ok

ya pics are guna be needed

and welcome to 3geez!
    Injoy your stay
    Last edited by 1ajs; 06-30-2006 at 06:14 PM.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lxi Coupe

so your name is destiny....does that make you a girl? wow you'd be, i think, the second girl on 3 fucking geez! nice! lol

anyway like everyone else has said...just take pics of everything he/she points out to you and post them up. take pics of the interior. check the rear wheel wells for rust check under the car to see if there is a bent frame....if you go into the trunk and remove one of the panels and see a different color...well that will tell you if it was repainted or not. check if the pop ups still work....check that all the lights are functioning. and well i would tell you to listen to the motor for any weird noises but you say there's a hole in it...which doesnt sound good from the get go. so just take pics...take some notes and post them here....im pretty sure that we would all be very happy to help you. thats what we're here for

and welcome to 3geez.com

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe

well now im curious, howd you hear of 3geez?
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

DX User

I was looking around for information on yahoo and i looked under accord forums and i found 3geez

Thanks everyone I'm happy to be here and the 2nd girl........(right?)
    Last edited by LilMizzdede; 07-02-2006 at 09:54 AM.

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

Quote Originally Posted by LilMizzdede
    I was looking around for information on yahoo and i looked under accord forums and i found 3geez
    Thanks everyone I'm happy to be here and the 2nd girl........(right?)
    Welcome to the forum first off, and second I would be weary of a car that has a hole in the motor. There might have been a miscommunication so let us know after you check out the car. Something else you need to look at along with what everybody else said is the brakes. Make sure they function properly and that the E-brake lever actually works.
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

hey i cant believe she came back!!^lol but i would really look closely and take pics and let these experts at 3geez look at them and they will tell you wut the deal is. but neways heres a big
    Last edited by reanimator420; 07-02-2006 at 10:39 AM.

DX User

Well i went to look at the car today everyone. I just stopped by really quick and took a look so i don't have pictures. But I am going back to drive it in the next couple days so i PROMISE to take pics. But here are some fact
    *Ok it's a 1986 Honda accord LX, 4 door, the color is black the interior is really nice (but you can decide for yourself) it had 308 thou. miles on it. It's an automatic. I did not start the car because the battery died and he didn't have time before he went to work to go get it recharged that's why i have to go back. One thing that I did notice was he tried to put the bumper on but there was rust on both of the sides near the bumper. The driver's side was worse though. He is asking $400 and he is willing to take payments from me because I don't have it all right. But in my situation I really need a car. He said the car has been sitting in the garage since last summer because he had his license taken away (but my cousin, his roomate drives it once in awhile). He said he was selling it to get his old car back. Someone else is going to be looking at it soon. I know i haven't gotten the pics yet but from what I've told you what do you think? Ohhhhhhhhh yea i asked about the hole in the motor and it's not the motor it's the muffler so he said it will just be loud until he gets it welded (sp?)

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

A hole in the muffler is alot better than one in the motor. Well, it's still a problem but not of the same magnitude.

If the car is drivable and the suspension/direction parts are in good condition, getting a car for 400$ is a good deal. However, be aware that it might need some work. People just don't sell 100% running cars for just 400 bucks nowadays.

If you know someone that can work on cars for cheap, this might be a good purchase. However, I would definetly have it checked first before buying it, especially the balljoints and engine condition in general.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

Quote Originally Posted by carotman
    A hole in the muffler is alot better than one in the motor. Well, it's still a problem but not of the same magnitude.

If the car is drivable and the suspension/direction parts are in good condition, getting a car for 400$ is a good deal. However, be aware that it might need some work. People just don't sell 100% running cars for just 400 bucks nowadays.

If you know someone that can work on cars for cheap, this might be a good purchase. However, I would definetly have it checked first before buying it, especially the balljoints and engine condition in general.
    and since it has 308K on it with an auto tranny, ask if the transmission has been replaced or not. If it is the original transmission, that will be going out soon.
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)