Thread: vacuum line removal

DX User
    Vehicle
    '86 Honda Accord LX

Talking vacuum line removal

ok today i did the vacuum line removal. im pretty sure i did a stage 3+ cause i left the secondary on so....... the car runs great so far! it idles at 900-1100 it could idle a little better! my question is do i now need to adjust the distributer timing since i had the distributer timing set when it idled at 2k+? cause it dies down alot when you let the clutch out and you have to give it alot of gas. other then that it has alot of top end power, and runs richer then it did. does good burnouts now! i have one more question, with 236k on the motor the valve springs are probably weak, so before this it could bearly go to 7500 and just bearly sit there, but now it goes straight up there and it sounds like its valve float??? i havent heard it before, i know its not a rev limiter cause the red line is at 6200-6300 .......so im happy now. i just need to do the fi conversion now. the engine bay looks alot cleaner with everything gone. i'll post pics in awhile.

steven
    ok here are the pics!
    before:

after:

Last edited by stevenr816; 06-30-2006 at 05:20 PM.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Re: vacuum line removal

carb engines have a fuel cut that comes on around 6,800, there is no rev limiter.

You engine could be damaged if the fuel cut comes on and you rev like that... just reving that high isn't good on it's own either.
    - llia

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6

dejavu on this thread...

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenr816
    ok today i did the vacuum line removal. im pretty sure i did a stage 3+ cause i left the secondary on so....... the car runs great so far!
    it idles at 900-1100 it could idle a little better!
    my question is do i now need to adjust the distributer timing since i had the distributer timing set when it idled at 2k+? cause it dies down alot when you let the clutch out and you have to give it alot of gas.

steven
    You idle problem and the fact that it dies could be because you have a vaccum leak.
    Plug the area circled in red with Epoxy, Quick Steel, or JB Weld.

Looks like you are not using the ( Throttle Controller / Idle Diaphragm )

Did you leave it unhooked?

First thing is first, plug that hole in the picture above.

Turn the screw on the throttle controller counter-clockwise (OUT) so it doesn't put any pressure on the linkage plate behind the screw.

Next start and warm up the engine fully and set the idle around 800-1000rpm using the THROTTLE STOP SCEW (Black Screw at back of Carb)

now hook up the throttle controller to the plugged vaccum port by the accelerator cable.

Scew the throttle controller screw clockwise (IN) till it touches the plate and raises the idle a bit, now turn on the headlights and other accessories you may have and try and get the idle to be around 1000 rpm or less if you can manage it.

are these vacuum post sealed? what am I looking at excatly? It looke like a cut hose.

Anyways if those rear vaccum ports on the Brass colored metal pipe at the rear of the intake manifold are not being used then they need to be plugged to avoid it leaking vacuum.
    - llia

DX User
    Vehicle
    '86 Honda Accord LX

Thumbs up Re: vacuum line removal

Quote Originally Posted by A20A1
    You idle problem and the fact that it dies could be because you have a vaccum leak.
    Plug the area circled in red with Epoxy, Quick Steel, or JB Weld.

Looks like you are not using the ( Throttle Controller / Idle Diaphragm )

Did you leave it unhooked?

First thing is first, plug that hole in the picture above.

Turn the screw on the throttle controller counter-clockwise (OUT) so it doesn't put any pressure on the linkage plate behind the screw.

Next start and warm up the engine fully and set the idle around 800-1000rpm using the THROTTLE STOP SCEW (Black Screw at back of Carb)

now hook up the throttle controller to the plugged vaccum port by the accelerator cable.

Scew the throttle controller screw clockwise (IN) till it touches the plate and raises the idle a bit, now turn on the headlights and other accessories you may have and try and get the idle to be around 1000 rpm or less if you can manage it.

are these vacuum post sealed? what am I looking at excatly? It looke like a cut hose.

Anyways if those rear vaccum ports on the Brass colored metal pipe at the rear of the intake manifold are not being used then they need to be plugged to avoid it leaking vacuum.
    the throttle controler is hooked up, but it isnt touching the plate, so i need to do that and put some jb on the hole. the one hose that looks like its cut has a plug in it, and the one on the back of the intake is a smaller hose into a bigger connecter with jb in it so it doesnt leak. thanks for the help on the idle control and the jb!

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i

I like the way it looks, i just need to find out how to do it to mine.

DX User
    Vehicle
    '86 Honda Accord LX

Cool Re: vacuum line removal

if you need help, just ask me. at first it was confusing but in the end it all comes through! i opened the one diagram on https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11067 in paint and marked over the lines that i made, that made it easier.

steven

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i

I have a 88 lxi so its fuel injected, i dont know if i could do it or not.

DX User
    Vehicle
    '86 Honda Accord LX

Quote Originally Posted by LiTtLe xOx BitT
    I have a 88 lxi so its fuel injected, i dont know if i could do it or not.
    i dont think that you can, idk?!?

DX User
    Vehicle
    '86 Honda Accord LX

thanks A20A1, the jb made a huge difference with that hole plugged up, my throttle control is hooked up, but it wasnt adjusted, but now it is and it runs great! thanks alot!

steven

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Thats good to hear.

EFI has a different vacuum removal, it is doable but I don't think you can get rid of everything, maybe you can find an ecu that ditches all the extras the usdm model has.
    - llia

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 accord dx hatchback

so i would like to know what stevenr816 did on deleting the vacuum lines and emission stuff. His pics dont show up and yes i have searched the forum. i want to delete all the emissions and vacuum lines a possible. i do not have emissions and want a clean bay. i have an 87 accord hatch with a a20a1 carb motor. please help me. just list the parts i can delete and i can go from there hopfully. i looked up diagrams but there is soooo much vacuum switch this and vacuum switch that, im not sure what i can get rid of. thank you all in advance.

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX Hatchback 5 speed

Quote Originally Posted by neglected87 View Post
    so i would like to know what stevenr816 did on deleting the vacuum lines and emission stuff. His pics dont show up and yes i have searched the forum. i want to delete all the emissions and vacuum lines a possible. i do not have emissions and want a clean bay. i have an 87 accord hatch with a a20a1 carb motor. please help me. just list the parts i can delete and i can go from there hopfully. i looked up diagrams but there is soooo much vacuum switch this and vacuum switch that, im not sure what i can get rid of. thank you all in advance.
    I'm with this guy, I just wanna see the pics if anyone has them saved somewhere? I have an '88 LX in very good condition and I will eventually do a Weber conversion so that should clean up very nicely. I still want to see some shots of a completely tidied and deleted 3gee engine bay.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1988/ Honda/ Accord LX

Hello everyone, i just recently aquired an 88 LX. Im looking to find an updated hotlink or wiki containing the original vac cum delete diagrams. Any help is appreciated!

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by stevenr816 View Post
    if you need help, just ask me. at first it was confusing but in the end it all comes through! i opened the one diagram on https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11067 in paint and marked over the lines that i made, that made it easier.

steven
    may i azk for some assistance with devacc an a20a1

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Accord (75k)

I am currently in the process of putting a 38/38 on an 87 accord lx and I would give almost anything to find a post that still has pictures. Anyone know where I could look at some pics? I mean some of these pics posted here were posted to myspace! Wow! I feel old...