Thread: New to the old school!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord DX

New to the old school!

Well first off I wanna say that this forum is sick and Im glad I came across it! I just got my '86 Accord DX (carb) and im trying to seriously put a LOT more power in it. The reason why a want to beef it up so much is because the car I had before was '98 Prelude which was turbocharged with a lot of work I put into it. I dont know if I want to just quickly do an engine swap first or do research and see how much I can get out of the stock engine. Not trying to get as much power as I had in the 'Lude but I cant stand having an ordinary rig!!! So im asking for some guidance from the engine swap side and original tuned motor side of anyone who has the time. Thanks!

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Re: New to the old school!

well you should check out the performance section of the forum...well the carb is alot harder to tune...you can do a vaccum removal and its worth it if your state does not do smog inspections. for engine swaps you would have to convert the car to fuel injection...you can get a parts car and convert everthing over... i would just do the fuel injection swap and then drop in a turbo...you should compression test the engine and if it turns out good you can let it rip with like 8PSI on a stock engine...oh yeah and what happen to the lude? you should take pics of both if you have them

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Hatch (Sold),1989 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 88 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 89 LX-i Sedan (RIP)

And What He Said

DX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord DX

Yeah everyone is telling me to go towards an engine swap but the only thing is I wanna do it right and I would have to get it done by a shop since I dont have the space or tools in my garage. I just sold my Prelude last week and Im missing the hell out of her! Been getting into too much trouble around here in it plus I was at a stopping point of tuning it so it was time to say goodbye *sniff*. Ill put some pics of it and the Accord up soon as I have time to.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    89 LXi Sedan (sold) - Car free now, with hella bikes

instead of spending the money on an engine swap you might consider just buying an LX-i. With the DX you're missing out on sway bars and disc brakes as well as the 20 horses
    Last edited by frantik; 07-06-2006 at 11:18 PM.

Vehicle
    1986 lxi 4 handle, 77 gmc 4x4, 97 astro van on 18's,98 Honda Shadow Aero 1100

Yeah, seriously you need to ditch the LX if you want to do anything performance wise to the car. The ONLY way to get serious power is.....first off, fuel injection. Second, turbo. And incase you have not SEARCHED yet, there are no production turbo parts for these cars.
    Everything is either custom built, or second hand custom built, so you should look at what you really want to accomplish with this car. Is it a driver, or a serious project which you don't plan on selling.......cause you will NEVER recoup what you invest.
    Anyway, hello and welcome, all that b.s. And also remember the search function, it will save you some bashing before you ask repeated questions.
    http://members.cardomain.com/3gn86lxi
    ~Ryan~
    Custom STEEL z3 fenders, and true HID

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord Lx ( cheeseburger mobile) 1989 honda accord Lx-i ole blue

welcome to the site bro! yet another cali member!

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    89 LXi Sedan (sold) - Car free now, with hella bikes

word cali is taking over this mofo!

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LXI Coupe

welcome to the club!

if i were u, and u were very serious about modding the 3g, get an lxi or sei if ur lucky,

then, if you want to have something fast and very custom, turbo the a-series, if not, then swap in a b-series,

but i sugest getting an lxi or sei first!
    V12 Supercharged Toyota Accord

DX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord DX

Well after research I decided not to go far in performance. Im just gonna restore the rig and make it nice to drive with a lil bit of mods. Guess ima be out of the speed scene for a while since my new car is gonna be a SUV, lol. Oh well I still have my motorcycle. Thanks everyone for your input!

Vehicle
    72 145s my dad has the million k 87 lx

nothing rong with these cars glad you to see you made the jump
    have fun with your DX just rember show these cars resepect and they will respect you back