View Poll Results: What Style Manifold ?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • LOG

14 34.15%
  • TUBULAR

14 34.15%
  • RAM HORN

13 31.71%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Manifold by : F22PARTS.COM

DX User

Re: Turbo Manifold by : F22PARTS.COM

Quote Originally Posted by A20A1
    well every turbo install will be different... I mean you want to make sure the manifold and turbo size all work and it doesn't hit anything in the engine bay.
    I would say something that seperates the tubes more then a log manifold and merges them into 1 nicely without Cylinder #1 shooting it's exhaust towards the open end of cylinder #4's pipe. Above the merge, a 5th pipe to allow even access from all 4 pipes to the wastegate above the turbo flange.
    So anything that aims the exhaust flow at the turbo and not at the other exhaust flows is good in my book.
    So no log manifold.
    ----
    The extra outlined white circle in the image is just the size of the F series ports turned 90*.
    When tracing use the smaller inner whole circles as the A20 ports.
    The original image is 12" wide so scale it appropriately before printing it out. It was is 300px/in but I made it 72px/in so the file size would be smaller.
    Please double check the fit after you print it.
    I would split cylinders in pairs with a dividing wall , 1-2 & 3-4 down the center to avoid the two sides meeting head on inside the manifold.
    My theory is that if you build it facing up you have all that room underneath the manifold to use.
    Certainly room to make braces to hold the turbo and manifold up using the stock bracket on the block that used to hold the cast iron manifold to the block and some steel rods.
    It might hit the hood and certainly would require some heat shielding between the turbo and the hood.

I really like this! We can work with this if it had measurements. How did you make the pic? Flash maybe? did you also make that cool little car you have by you name? lol If so could you make me one of my car possibly? lol

dave

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch

hey dave!
    its cool to have you hear working through this with us!

can you post basic pricing profiles for these different types of manifolds or metals? ie stainless vs mild steel etc....

anyway we can get some ideas together for manifolds, but i think somewhere between ram and elr manifold would be 'best' but i agree for praticalities sake it might be best just to start with logs.

if you get a demo car can you build downpipe kits or would that not be possible? might be good to get a nissan t2 and dsm and t3 downpipes. hehe wishful thinking, but im wondering just how much we can get out of this rare opportunity.

Vehicle
    Manual 89 Se-i Accord

I vote log, because from what I have seen, other styles just don't have the same bang for the buck. (and I am cheap )

Log (and tubular) style manifolds could both probably be made small enough to fit without the need for switching to a B series radiator or doing other modifications (powersteering removal, etc). AC might even fit depending on the design, but it would probably be tight.

I am still thinking about trying to build my own manifold, but if the price is right, I would definately buy a premade manifold to save time.
    Last edited by Swap_File; 07-10-2006 at 10:20 PM.

Vehicle
    86 Honda prelude si

Quote Originally Posted by F22Partscom
    I only want to work from this forum for now. Takes to much extra time, maybe this will draw people here? Sure that’s good for business here. lol
    dave
    What all year model ludes are there my favorite is the 1995. Thank you for asking tho.
    All years are there. I'll try to get people to come look at this from over there tho.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

I like the idea of building the frame. Unfortunately I'm short a turbo and an accord at the moment or I would do this on the spot. That also stops me from doing a 3D model in Maya.

I wish the program I used had measurements... it's an old 3d program called "Simply 3D" from like 1994. Not good for much so I just eyeball it.

I like that bobafett... I mean if we build the turbo manifold with other aftermarket parts in mind then that just opens the door to use ready made off the shelf parts.
    - llia

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch

also it might be possible to build a manifold that can arrange the turbo in a location that allows the use of a currently available downpipe.

for example lots of new KA24DET hardware is popping up that allows the use of stock or aftermarket SR20DET downpipes. that kind of idea is appealing to me! cause we can get downpipes for other applications already!

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6

i vote for log because i'm a poor college student and also because that sounds like the easiest one to get up and running from a r&d standpoint. one question, though. what turbo flange is on the manifold? can we specify or what?

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Crx Dx Mini-Me

I'll buy as long as its not log style, i'm with the ram looks good and seems more compact. My hatch is gonna be blown sooner or later, so lets make it sooner

Breaking news! What has an H in it!

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by bobafett
    also it might be possible to build a manifold that can arrange the turbo in a location that allows the use of a currently available downpipe.

for example lots of new KA24DET hardware is popping up that allows the use of stock or aftermarket SR20DET downpipes. that kind of idea is appealing to me! cause we can get downpipes for other applications already!

Thanks again for your appreciation.. “bobafett“Yes we can build a down pipe also along with Any other building, machining, fabrication, tuning, you get the picture. But like you said using other available parts is great also.

By you guys, this forum, doing the footwork saves you all bucks. If we were to design, draft, fit then fabricate one it would be much more than the prices discussed earlier.

After thinking about it the log and the tubular are both really the same. If so by current votes the log/tubular manifolds are 29.41% X 2 equals 58.82% by combining both together. Does anyone agree?

dave

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lxi Coupe

you got my vote ^^^

if we could get the people that have already made their own tubular or log manifold to post up some specs as well as some pics that would put us one step ahead. but what would you need as a design? do you mean mesurements? and draft...i dont know if we have anyone here that has cad and can do one...but if we do we have to get a hold of them. i know if they were to draft one up...i can pay up...or donate some money towards the cause. to the member that is. cuz like you said...by us doing the footwork that would save us money..right? well if we get a design and everything to you just to fabricate...would that count as footwork? lol.

i say this gets stickied or an announcement put up for everyone to see. and if anyone wants to do the draft...and needs money for materials or what have you...like i said...ill put up some just let me know.

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

hash man sei??? doesnt he know CAD? anyway, you get my vote too dave. it would be even better if someone could just send out one of their log manifolds so he can just make copies of it and maybe improve it. and yes i will help the cause too, even though i really cant waste any more money right know since im movin out to colorado next month
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    Manual 89 Se-i Accord

Here are some pictures copied over from the "Turbo 3geezers show me your SETUP?" thread:

Vehicle
    87 prelude SI

hello everyone, I came over from preludepower.com cause this site has so much info about a20s.
    A manifold is the only thing stopping me from getting my turbo setup complete. I was going to have one made, but the price involved is way higher than this guy wants. So I want in. I'd be interested in the tubular style more, but will go with log if that is the consensus.

Vehicle

well i really like the one that accordepicenter has:

i dont know if that would be possible for this....but one like his would be freaking awesome.

oh and welcome civicsmasher to the 3geez forums. right now we're on the design and decie part but once we get rolling im pretty sure the f22parts guys would appreciate your money lol

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

I could try my hand at CAD but I'd need to refamiliarize myself with the program. Someone is aquiring such a product for me to use.

Anyone have specs on the pipe dimensions... I mean I don't want to build it with a nonexistant pipe diameter. Is scheduald pipe ID or OD ?

...sigh.

CAD is kinda against my religion though, I'm so used to gunning it and pounding the metal and cutting till everything fits.

So anyone else is also welcome to take this project up.
    - llia

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

Quote Originally Posted by A20A1
    CAD is kinda against my religion though, I'm so used to gunning it and pounding the metal and cutting till everything fits.

im part of your religion too
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Quote Originally Posted by mkymonkey
    well i really like the one that accordepicenter has:
    i dont know if that would be possible for this....but one like his would be freaking awesome.
    Looks like 4 starter pipes and then some bends. The tricky part depending how picky you are is how the 4 pipes merge... you can squash em all together or do like Burns Stainless does, which is stupidly nice. I would say the constuction of a merge turbo collector and starter pipes will help prior to welding it all together.
    It may not be equal length but I can't see the harm in more then 1.5" off.
    I'll show you what I mean in a sec. once I get my lame 3d program working for me.

90* bends (x4) Cylinder 1, 2, 3, 4
    (Cut 90* bends x2) 45* bends (x4) Cylinder 1, 4
    Straight pipe segment 0.225" long (x2) Cylinder 1, 4
    Straight pipe segment 2.000" long (x4) Cylinder 1, 2, 3, 4
    Straight pipe segment 1.203" long (x2) Cylinder 2, 3

Cut where needed.

Flow

Thanks.
    Awe the gif doesn't have any numbers... I'll try opening the other file.
    My illustrator doesn't open it.
    I used the t3/t4 adapter one. I just used however many inches the gif was in photoshop.

I have a slow internet... if anyone can find some kind of t3/t4 gasket or diagram to measure, I just need the length and width of any opening and the overall length and width... they might also provide distances between center bolt holes which is important to know because that tells you what turbo will fit the manifold studs.

I did find some diagrams but they are not specific t3/t4.
    - llia

Vehicle
    Manual 89 Se-i Accord

On HomeMadeTurbo alot of people build manifolds out of 1.5 inch schedule 40 mild steel from http://www.mcmaster.com/

They have really nice diagrams:

(example)

Until you get your other CAD programs, there is also Alibre Design Xpress which is free:
    http://www.alibre.com/xpress/

I have not used it much, but alot of people I know like it. And who can argue with free?

Vehicle
    92 VW Jetta

at the moment i do not remember whether schedule pipe is ID or OD but i will find out as quickly as i can, i also agree on a tubular design would probably be best. but whatever works out works out thats fine. a20a1 have you tried using lightwave at all?
    gonna miss my 3gee
    next project neuspeed jetta

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i

I would definatly do it, i was just starting to looking into doing a turbo setup.

Vehicle

wat about this guys

this should allow to run everything...as in ps pump and ac right? my question would be, how would you run a pipe to a fmic?

Vehicle

but...what are you saying? is this a bad design? do you think something else could be done that has better flow? thats a definite duh...but do you think this manifold is inferior to say this one:

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

I like Mosslemans design... I think it has the right idea for cylinders #1 and #4 within the confines of a log manifold.

Look how #4 turns into the turbo, and the wall between #4 & #3 directs cylinders 3, 2, & 1 to the turbo.

Also look how # 2 goes into the pipe coming out of #1. It doesn't have any curve towards cylinder #1. But on the pipe between #4 and #3 you can see a curve... basicly what I'm saying is that subtle things like that are all directing the flow towards the turbo while not making flow in the other direction easy.

BTW our cylinders are numbered 4321.

On the manifold you just posted it is good, everything is aimed towards the turbo as best as it can using that material, but you don't have something getting in the way of #4 firing straight across into #1.
    That is my only real issue. But I would just solve it by adding in a dividing wall.

The last issue for me is that #2 has an easy time out towards #1, and #3 can do the same to #4.
    That would need straight pipe for cylinders #2 and #3 instead of 3-way T joins to get rid of that transition.
    - llia

Vehicle

hey A20A1 i found a pic on ebay of what youre talking about in the top design:

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6

Quote Originally Posted by mkymonkey
    wat about this guys

this should allow to run everything...as in ps pump and ac right? my question would be, how would you run a pipe to a fmic?
    does this one allow you to keep the stock radiator too? and you just fab a j-pipe to the fmic from wherever it comes out. and how low would the turbo sit in relation to the engine for cooling and oiling purposes?