Thread: Help! Brake restraints (springs)

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i (4AT)

Help! Brake restraints (springs)

I got a set of brake pads from the dealer (way too expensive but hey, I don't have any performance parts on my ride & was told to use only Honda pads due to soft Honda rotors) for my Accord. I took off the calipers and my old springs don't look anything like the new ones. The restraints (springs) that came with the dealer's set just do NOT fit the caliper contours. I checked your online Shop Manual & the picture of the springs is very close with those long arms on the springs but the picture of the caliper is not like I got on my vehicle. Mine says "Nissin" and since the new springs did not fit, I called the parts person at Honda again & they swear the springs are correct for my 89 LX-i. I tried putting the new springs in but the indentations don't match the bends and turns of my calipers like they are supposed to? Honda part #45022-SE0-505...I'll try calling Honda again but if you guys know of why this is not working, please let me know. Even the pads stick out from the rotors about 1/4" out and if I push the pads inward, it'll hit the axle. Thanks.
    3gs rule!

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: Help! Brake restraints (springs)

Take your old ones to any generic part store and match them up. There are differant styles I dont know why but there confused on our cars for somereason.

You can reuse your old ones for the time being. I would also change the caliper pins as well when you can afford it thats the source of the brake clack when you hit pot holes and stuff along with those junk pad holders.

You can look up on www.rockauto.com for a picture or maybe advanced autos website and try to viually match them up. That help the parts jockey's out as well.

EDIT: Even the pads stick out from the rotors about 1/4" out and if I push the pads inward, it'll hit the axle. They maybe the totally wrong pad as well reading this last line. If you have the 10.3" rotors you should have a brake pad with a D409 number somewhere in the parts number/box/ or even on the pad itself. Thats the correct pad for that year accord. There are some accords that had smaller brakes on it DX models.

wp
    Last edited by Oldblueaccord; 07-08-2006 at 11:14 AM.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i (4AT)

Thanks, OldBlueAccord. Yeah. I went back to the dealer & told them the pads they gave me are just not possible on an 89 LX-i. Well, you'd never guess...but what da ya know, eh?!? They made a mistake!! The parts person said I was given the pads for the SE-i! I even told them specifically that it wasn't that model. Well, I can go on ranting to no avail. OldBlueAccord, you are so right on the number that appears on the pads on the correct ones. They even say "Nissin" on these as opposed to the wrong set. The Honda part # is 45022-SD4-528. Thanks for your help and also for the additional info about these parts at an auto parts store. Maybe I should get Brembo slotted rotors and those fancy pads you all are talkin' about on this board. Hmmm...
    3gs rule!

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Well good you got it straight.

I try to explain to my wife all the time how parts are never right and jobs that take 20min take like 6 hours and 3 trips to theparts store etc.

She doesnt buy it.

wp