Thread: :wtf: urgent suspension question

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

:wtf: urgent suspension question

ok I need an answer here,i have just replaced wheel bearings,lower ball joints,spindles,lug studs,upper control arms on both sides,also new upper control arm bushings of course. I can still grab the wheel on the right side and when I rock it at the top and bottom,the wheel will visibly move slightly and I get a clunk. the lower control arm bushings looked good before,could this be it? has anyone else had this problem before? I checked the strut rod bushings,they have slight wear and will be replaced,but the movement is acting like a lower ball joint is bad,but they are new of course. the lower ball joints are moog,so I don't think theres much chance of them being bad,they were properly pressed in, not hammered,wheel bearings the same. any clue?

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: :wtf: urgent suspension question

Besides making sure the upper arms are bolted in super tight sounds like ball joints. Try a pry bar under the wheel 6 o clock while you stick your head under there and see if you can see the slop there other wise you got get the wife's head under there or i mean get her to shake the tire for you.

If the boots busted the joint wears very fast. No grease eh?

wp

Accord of the Year - 2006

make sure the axles are tourqued up to spec, maybe the wheel bearings arent in all the way

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord
    Besides making sure the upper arms are bolted in super tight sounds like ball joints. Try a pry bar under the wheel 6 o clock while you stick your head under there and see if you can see the slop there other wise you got get the wife's head under there or i mean get her to shake the tire for you.
    If the boots busted the joint wears very fast. No grease eh?
    wp
    the ball joint is fine,the boot is fine,I would hope those ball joints are fine considering they are less then a month old. I know the wheel bearing is seated all the way in when i pressed it I made sure it was seated. the upper control arms are fine,I just put those in saturday. I wonder if the tapered end of he control arm could be worn where he ball joint fits in it? I checked it before installation but you never know. only other think I could think of is the inner control arm bushing is worn. this would make the control arm move in and out slightly when you rock the wheel t 12:00 and 6:00

Vehicle

ok now it has developed a clunk when turning right,I know it's not ball joints since they are new,I checked inner tie rod ends they are fine,the outers are only a few years old and they are moog,they are also tight, the sway bar has urthane bushings on it and they are fine,I'm starting to suspect the idiot who installed my tires ruined the tapered seats on the wheel by overtighting them. if he did I'm going to be really pissed since these TEG wheels are so hard to find. not to mention all the work in painting them. the car wants to pull to the right somewhat now. the clunk isn't a CV type of clunk it sounds like a suspension part. I just wonder if the lower arm bushings are wore out? wouldn't that make a clunk if the inner bushing was worn?