Thread: strut clunk?

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

strut clunk?

Ok I finally got a set of lower arms rebuilt and in my car,thank god,what a job!!! when the strut was disconnected from the lower arm,I checked it for looseness and when I moved it I got a distinct clunk from it. the strut bolts are tight,and I don't have any rust whatsoever in my strut towers. I have an extra set of struts in my loft in the shop,but what causes the clunk? it's the same clunk I get when I'm driving,so I know it's the strut. also has anyone heard of the bolts that hold the lower arms to the frame wearing? know the control arm bushing pivots on the bolt and i noticed the bolt was loose when i put it in the lower arm,off the car. I figured after twenty years it might have worn somewhat. I will check an extra bolt later with some mikes. I noticed after bolting the lower arm in I could still move it slightly on the bolt,even with a new bushing. for a laugh the book says to have the inner arm bushing removed at the dealer or a suspension shop,it takes special tools LOL yea a torch to burn the bushing and a cold chisel and hammer
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 07-15-2006 at 06:57 PM.

Vehicle

Re: strut clunk?

any ideas?

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Coupe LXi

Jack it up and shake it down up and down and side to side and see if you have any movement anywhere. Put a bar under the tire and pry up with the bar and see if there is any movement. Maybe you've already tried this?
    89 Accord LXi Coupe, Tenzo Type II Titanium Exhaust, KYB GR-2 Struts, 2 JL 10's, New Polor White Paint Job, Accel Super Stock Coil, Boss 318 Black Chrome 17x8 Rims, 215-40-17 Ziex

Vehicle

I already did this,the strut clunks when moved by itself,I just wondered what in the strut causes this.

Vehicle

hey did the 89 lxi hatch front struts have a slightly different rate? I've got a set of them assembled they have fewer miles on them.