Thread: need diagram for idle adjustment

DX User

Angry need diagram for idle adjustment

Im having problems with the idle. the car when cold idles at 3 to 4k. when warm it idles at 2.5 to 3k when its in park or neutral. when i put in in gear it drops to 1.5 to 2k, warm and cold. the engine doesnt overheat, i checke the oil, the coolant, adjusted the stop screw to the lowest point possible, adjusted the timing, closed some vacuums to keep the idle this low. is there anything else im missing. someone told me to adjust the Fast Idle, and the Choke. could anyone help me with a picture of where this is located. any help would be appreciated. im getting frustrated with this car since its eating gas like crazy. 160 miles in a full tank at a regular 30mph speed.

thanks,
    Francisco

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

Re: need diagram for idle adjustment

I had this problem a while ago and took it into the dealorship. I have a 88 carbed auto. They replaced my hot air vavle since it was creating a vacuum leak. Thats the thing on the intake that opens the flap so it takes either cold air or hot air from around the exhaust. They also disabled my frequency control valve c by bypassing it. That has vacuum lines #20 going to that part.

Those parts could be fine on your car, but my problem in general was that i had a vacuum leak so just inspect all the hoses under the hood to check for leaks.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

there are SO many things on the carb car that can cause that. Searching the thread is a really good idea and sort out the symptoms. I can not cover all of them here. When my car first started that same crap , I figured to back off the fast idle adj as far as possible and disable the choke plate (open it) by tie wrap. the first action stops the car from running 4K out of control and the second stops the fuel sucking choke blade being closed when the car is warmed up. You still will have a funny idle at times but it wont be tached up so high and gargling gasoline. This will get you by until you can trace the exact cause.
    Going thru the idle adj. procedures most likley will not correct that problem but will cause other problems on top of it because something is not functioning as designed. You can find the adj info on the tech area, factory manual from pauldesign aerodeck website.
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 07-27-2006 at 07:30 AM.

DX User

thanks for your replies. i tookk it to the mechanic, and couldnt figure out anything. i know its not a vacuum leak cause i checked all of them, and closed the ones that were giving me problems. if any one has a picture of where the Fast Idle, and the Choke is located, i would greatly appreciate it. thanks

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Did you look at this thread?
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53700
    there is an image there, it might take a while to show up depending on your internet connection.
    It basicly shows the operation of the throttle controller/ idle diaphragm. That diaphragm has a little screw on there to set the idle speed.

Remember to only adjust idle when the car is fully warm... maybe a 5-8 minuet drive will be enough depending on the temp outside.

Usually an excuse for me to pick up fast food.

Automatic cars will use solenoids to regulate vacuum when in gear to try and activate the idle diaphragms or the other idle/booster that is on the fuel line side of the carb, this then bumps the idle a little higher.
    - llia