Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weeding out members that never really existed

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

weeding out members that never really existed

has anyone ever thought about going through and finding the members who joined years ago and never posted? It would make navigating things here a lot easier. I was looking at the members list and see things like people who "joined" in 2003 and have 0 posts or 1 post when they joined.

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord Lx ( cheeseburger mobile) 1989 honda accord Lx-i ole blue

Re: weeding out members that never really existed

good point, i think it would save some space

Vehicle
    1989 240sx FB,

Not quite sure why that's necessary.... what are you having problems navigating?

Alex

Vehicle

I just think it's silly to list someone as a member who has been on here for years and never even posts or has never posted. I would think in order to be a member you should at least participate in some way shape or form. maby list them as inactive members vs active members. there is a difference between someone who is really interested in this board and someone who registered when they were bored one day,then vanished

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    89 LXi Sedan (sold) - Car free now, with hella bikes

it's pretty common on message boards for people to register but only post once or twice... (or never)

Vehicle
    1989 240sx FB,

I still don't understand why it's a problem...

Alex

It's unnecessary at this point. A few months ago Joe pruned about 1,100 inactive users from 3geez.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

hmm i think if u done that, the site would look like it bearly has any members

Vehicle
    87 Accord (RIP), 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Every so often, I prune people who have not verified their registrations and have not visited the board in 4 months. Like GhettoAccord said, the first time I did it, I pruned over 1,000 members. Now everytime I do it, it gets rid of 200 or so. I remember discussing this before, and mentioning that the actual database table that stores all of the members' info uses an extremely small percentage of the total database size.
    - Joe

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch

I have found a couple sections of 3geez that is much more exciting than the members list...

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

i see were hes coming from though when u have to find a member and u have to go throught that huge list of nobodys it gets anoying ive doen it a couple of times

Vehicle
    87 Accord (RIP), 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee

478 unique users have visited the board in the past week. Should I prune everyone else?

2818 users would be pruned if I got rid of everyone who joined more than 2 years ago and have less than 10 posts.
    - Joe

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

i see were your coming from too there have been alot of people that have been members for a couple years and have just made there first post

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    89 LXi Sedan (sold) - Car free now, with hella bikes

if you need to find a user to pm them or somethign you can use the search engine and search for their posts..

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 87accordlxi
    478 unique users have visited the board in the past week. Should I prune everyone else?

2818 users would be pruned if I got rid of everyone who joined more than 2 years ago and have less than 10 posts.
    I was talking about people who have joined years ago and haven't been online since,there are a lot of people who visit but don't post,thats different,I'm talking about peoplr who join and never go online again,

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord SEi

I visited the site for 6 months befor registering and that was so I could search then it was another 6 months befor I posted anything now that I know more I help when I can and seek help for the realy puzzling stuff. If I was prunned I wouldn't mind as long as I could reregister with the same name.
    Mods:
    CAI
    Teg Tranny
    Accel SS Coil/ Wires/ NGK plugs
    Auto up and down on both windows
    Drop springs and shocks
    2.5 inch cat and exhaust/ Cherry bomb turbo II muffler... yes it's LOUD!!!

Vehicle
    03 Accord V6, 98 and 99 Odyssey, 99 Blazer

That brings up another question. I swear there used to be somthing on the members public profile that showed there last visit/login and now it's either not there or I don't see it.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by dillirk
    I visited the site for 6 months befor registering and that was so I could search then it was another 6 months befor I posted anything now that I know more I help when I can and seek help for the realy puzzling stuff. If I was prunned I wouldn't mind as long as I could reregister with the same name.
    it's really not that big of a deal,it was just an idea,I'm primarily talking about the more extreme cases like the people who have registered in 2003 and don't have a single post maby we could do something to encourage the people who visit all the time to join? I mean it's so easy,new people mean fresh ideas and maby new talent. I mean if someone has been visiting for six months we need to do more to encourage them to join, it has made a difference cracking down on bashing noobs, i may kid with them,but I want them to feel welcome. the next person who joins might be a carbon fiber expert or something like it.who knows? I just figure if someone has joined and never posted in years,they are probably long gone.
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 08-07-2006 at 05:06 PM.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord POS tranny

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile
    it's really not that big of a deal,it was just an idea,I'm primarily talking about the more extreme cases like the people who have registered in 2003 and don't have a single post

i originally posted here with the intent of never posting again. i guess it was the fact that i got a shitty 3g that made me come back. and the whole 3g community welcomed me without flaming for my problems ive had. and the fact that elijah helped me fix basically my most serious problems

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by dillirk
    see you are interested in the site though, you aren't one of te people who joined years ago and disappeared. by the way how do you like your cherry bomb? my wife and i just went to Flordia for the meet,600 miles round trip in one day, and were doing an average of 85-90 with the windows open in traffic. and those things are loud. I have the traditional type of one with an open exaust before it. I'm really considering installing an intercom system like on a bike.

Vehicle
    98 Av6 3oh

if we really want to free up server space we should just delete all of CT's posts.

-Travis-

Vehicle
    1989 240sx FB,

I still don't understand why you care about people that don't post--I know I lurked for a LONG time, and only posted sporadically, and still for the most part in the same way (notice how I don't have THAT many posts, esp. relative to a lot of people here, though I've been here a lot longer). Leave people alone, let them use the board the way they want. If people feel the need to contribute, they can.

Alex

Vehicle
    90 ED7 Si

^^I'm with you, why do you even really care??

Sounds like someone just wants a "top secret" excuse to post whore..... j/p
    I can't read the signature rules so MrBen deleted my signature.

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord Lx ( cheeseburger mobile) 1989 honda accord Lx-i ole blue

Quote Originally Posted by 86AccordLxi
    I still don't understand why you care about people that don't post--I know I lurked for a LONG time, and only posted sporadically, and still for the most part in the same way (notice how I don't have THAT many posts, esp. relative to a lot of people here, though I've been here a lot longer). Leave people alone, let them use the board the way they want. If people feel the need to contribute, they can.

Alex

wow i out posted u lmao wow just realized i really am a post whore

Chase

Yeah about this, I had a membership that I made in like 02 used it all the way through 04 then I joined the army. I didnt have a time or even an accord so I didnt come to the site, I recently purchased another one and its waiting for me when I get back from Iraq. I couldnt find my old username or anything But im back now, I also have a 2007 Honda Civic Si ordered and Im picking that up in Germany when I get back! Oh yeah and Iraq is sucking.