Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: california "anti-rice" law?

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6

california "anti-rice" law?

has anyone else heard of this new supposed law in california where basically they'll ticket you if you have anything not stock or even mildly performance related? i heard a little commercial on the radio last week, but didn't really pay much attention til the end when i heard "that means you can get a ticket just for having a souped up ride." but by then, it was over, no more info. then today at work, one of the fellows said his friend got ticketed for it in a stock evo. so does anyone know anything more about this or have heard about it and know what i'm talking about?

and is it only for imports or for domestics as well? because if i get ticketed for my intake but a guy in a mustang doesn't get ticketed for a holley carb, there's a problem there.

Vehicle
    89 LXI Coupe "Slighty Modified",,71 Chevelle,, 92 civic cx

Re: california "anti-rice" law?

I dont think they can do that.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Quote Originally Posted by B16KILLA
    I dont think they can do that.
    yeah it was on the news like 2 months ago...they were doing it in the south bay...they would check if everything was smog legal...so no Ebay CAI or ilegal headers....thats why my friend sold his 98 lude with alot to mods and got him self a SUV

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle

Thats the only reason I can see why they would ticket you. All my parts are carb e.o certified. They've been giving tickets for that around here for a while. They tried to get me for a "modified exhaust" but I got out of it because it was I told him it was less than 100db at 100ft. The only reason they ask to pop your hood is if they have reason to believe you have illegal parts or if your street racing. But as far a cosmetic stuff I dont see why they would ticket you unless your car looks like a rolling disco.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

around here they mostly look to see if you have those annoying strobes and any kind of blue lights on your car, which makes sense, strobes are fine for parking lots or he strip at spring break,but not for every day driving. how about a law that says if your spoiler is out of complete proportion to your car? I saw one here the other day ,no kidding,three feet tall.

Vehicle
    1990 CRX, 1992 Honda Civic DX (sold, then stolen! :(), 1988 Honda Accord LX (sold + missed :()

Hmm.

HAH.

I doubt they give tickets just for you having any modification to your car.

But i can understand like.. illegal intakes (even though theres no DIFFERENCE) and headers and no cat.. etc.
    Alas, no more 3gee. She was a wonderful car and will be missed..

No more 92 hatch either! I go through cars too much.

90 CRX

Accord of the Year - 2008

Vehicle
    89 Accord No Motor and 88 Accord HB LX-i

Here where i am the PD is impound any cars with mods for 30days then when they get it back it has No Motor and tray in it Now that F*** Up The PD impound Fee for the 30Days is 1190.00
    LX-R coming soon Here's a hint. 89mm stroke/ 41.60cc head /ARP head & main stud's /SRP piston's 81.5mm 9:5:1/Crower Rod's & more to come

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord Lx ( cheeseburger mobile) 1989 honda accord Lx-i ole blue

that fucking sucks man!!! all our hard work and they just take it away. gayness. i remember at the beginning of the year the city of Los Angeles was going to start to impound and destroy any cars that were Involved in any kind of street racing

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

do what i would. crush the cop cars. maybe a little thermite.

catch one while he's doing one over the speed limit, put him under citizen's arrest, and have his car crushed at the side of the road. do that a few times and you'll see that they'd start listening to us "kids" with "mods." scrap prices are up. trust me, there's going to be a scrapper somewhere that has a rolling crusher that will happily oblige.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile
    around here they mostly look to see if you have those annoying strobes and any kind of blue lights on your car, which makes sense, strobes are fine for parking lots or he strip at spring break,but not for every day driving. how about a law that says if your spoiler is out of complete proportion to your car? I saw one here the other day ,no kidding,three feet tall.
    I totally agree. they should go with the name they chose "anti-rice". So that means if anyone has a car with tasteless mods/bodykits, sticker/graphics/colored tint, and any cheap ass neons, or leds on the windshield wiper squirters. Exhuast tips that exceed 31/2 inches, spoilers taller than car/wider than, no false ideantification by puting on vtec decals or haveing cobra decal all over your mustang , even though it a v6, ETC........ I could go on for ever
    Last edited by B16KILLA; 08-07-2006 at 10:42 PM.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    89 LXi Sedan (sold) - Car free now, with hella bikes

apparently the ticket is a fix it ticket and if you dont fix it then you get the big ticket. heres an article from last year

Police in Sacramento, California announced Wednesday that they would use $5 million in federal money to begin cracking down on auto enthusiasts who modify their vehicles. The money will be used to form an undercover "Drag-Net" unit to stop motorists who appear to be driving modified cars.

The concept, which originated in San Diego in 2001, has been spreading throughout California generating significant revenue for the state and local departments. In Santa Fe Springs, for example, twelve officers on Drag-Net duty issued 300 citations and impounded 50 vehicles in just one weekend. Several cities have drag-racing ordinances that allow police to auction off seized cars and keep the profits.

Under Drag-Net, San Diego officers come to train other departments how to look out for what they believe to be tell-tale signs of illegal modification such as window tinting, large spoilers, extra gauges or racing stickers. Police say this gives them probable cause to stop and inspect a vehicle and its engine compartment.

In practice, "excessive exhaust noise" tickets are the most common violation. California law does not require police to measure sound levels objectively. Instead, according to the California Highway Patrol, the "citation is based on officer's judgment."

Those receiving a vehicle modification "fix-it" ticket must visit a California Bureau of Automobile Repair office and pay a $35 fee to have their car inspected. If the car fails, a judge can impose another fine of up to $2000 for failing to meet California emissions requirements.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/05/576.asp
    Last edited by frantik; 08-08-2006 at 02:36 AM.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lxi Coupe

wow

2ndGenGuy

Holy load of crap. Glad we don't have emissions here. I'm never moving down there... Window Tints and spoilers are probable cause?? Since when? Talk about a major violation of rights. Thats not right that they can just pull you over for visual modifications that have nothing to do with whether or not your car is mechancially modified.

Vehicle
    89 accord EX-i 88 accord hatch s

There was a thing on the news, I think it was W5 about a rolling crusher the police were using. If you were caught raceing/speeding and your car was modded they crushed it on the spot. They showed a civic and some other car getting caught street racing and they crushed both of then right there on the side of the road. I think it was in ontairo somewhere

have a look at this http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...0615/20060615/
    Last edited by EX-ileAccord; 08-08-2006 at 07:00 AM.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lxi Coupe

wow that sucks

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

so would insurance cover that

Vehicle
    1996/Acura/3.2 TL

Quote Originally Posted by frantik
    apparently the ticket is a fix it ticket and if you dont fix it then you get the big ticket. heres an article from last year
    Wow that sucks! It looks like they are taking a piece of our freedom here. So your pretty much stuck with driving stock cars, unless you want the cops pulling you over all the time...

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord Lx ( cheeseburger mobile) 1989 honda accord Lx-i ole blue

Quote Originally Posted by mkymonkey
    wow that sucks
    that just dosnt suck bro. it really sucks lol...

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Fucking police no wonder no one likes them... they use us as their payroll and say it's for the public good.

Maybe stick racing stickers on the cops daily driver cars. "Tunned by Ford"
    or chevy or whoever put the performance engines and parts into the cruisers.
    - llia

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

just a good reason to have a sleeper 8)

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

well, the cruisers have their speed limiters removed, right? that's illegal modification. those cars are covered in lights. another illegal modification. a lot of them have a cage in them. there's another.

again, find a scrapper that will help you guys out. i know that you'll find one with the price of scrap metal high as it is.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    89 LXi Sedan (sold) - Car free now, with hella bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Overdosed A18A
    just a good reason to have a sleeper 8)
    yuuuuup

Window Tints and spoilers are probable cause?? Since when?
    i doubt just tint or a stock looking wing alone would be enough for probable cause... but if your car looks straight then chances are you've got some mods too.

in downtown san jose there are so many modified cars.. cops wouldnt have time to bust them just for being modified. i could see if you got pulled over for something else how a dicky cop could get you for modified engine too, but they're not just pulling people over here for driving while rice

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord lx ,2006 accord se 2.4l i-vtec 166 hp 5spd

yeppers kiddies its time to vote!
    repeal that patriot act law and replace with a real law and while you are at it get the unreasonable search and siezure clause in OUR FOUNDING FATHERS BILL OF RIGHTS! reinstated!
    pic's of project at my homepage: home.earthlink.net/~andyk65

^took the words right out of my mouth

http://www.myspace.com/reanimator420
    originally posted by ACCORDEPICENTER
    it should be there tuesday... So take your keyboard and wrap it around your neck and hang yourself with the cord.

Vehicle
    1998 Honda Civic Dx Hatchback

Hmm i wonder if getting their car crushed would actually teach them dumb fucks who street race not to do it again? I got no probelm with that. You wanna be stupid and put peoples lives in danger than you dont deserve to drive or own a car so i got nothing against the cops crushing a car for street racing. Think about if if they auction of modify cars then you could probably get a ride that someones spend a ton of money and time to modify for a fraction of the cost. (think civic hatchbacks with b16s, b18s etc going for a grand or 2
    Coming soon, wheels, drop, carbon fiber and if i ever decide, paint.