Thread: 1988 Accord DX

DX User

1988 Accord DX - What to do?

Current Location: New Hampshire
    Odometer: 196,000
    Need to move (drive) to Daytona Beach FL. I've been fixing small problems with my car in order to make the trip without having the car break down. I put in a new water pump, thermostat, and radiator because some coolant was leaking out of the pump weep hole.
    I already changed the plugs and wires.
    I plan on changing the oil to 10W40 for the hotter climate.
    Any suggestions on other things to do ? I can't afford to have my car break on the way down.
    I noticed some oil leakage and took a picture of it. Any ideas on how or whether to fix it? I know the leak is new in the past few months because I've compared it to older pictures of the car that I've taken.
    Last edited by WindsAloft989; 08-15-2006 at 07:21 AM.

DX User

Re: 1988 Accord DX

looks like a easy valve cover gasket fix. but in my opinion its not all that bad. good luck with the trip.

DX User

Somebody else told me that its not that bad, but I was going through my computer and noticed that it wasn't like that a few months ago... Should I be concerned about how quickly the leak formed?

I will search the forum to see how easy and cheap this fix will be. (Haven't done it before)

Thanks

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

yeah i changed my valve cover gasket...its not hard....i think it was like 5.50 at the parts store. i would also pick up a engine degreaser bottle to wash it all off....my car would smoke since it was burning the oil that landed on the headers....after i cleaned it all up it looked nice.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

yeah pretty simple fix there. as long as its not comming from the bottom of the head, you should be fine. but do replace the gasket

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

you may want to re route those spark plug wires away from the exhaust fellow. Is that some sort of coolant hose across there, what is it doing there, get it away from exhaust too!

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

lol thats the powersteering hose, its ment to be there

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by Overdosed A18A
    lol thats the powersteering hose, its ment to be there
    Windsaloft 989 ....your boiling your fluid. , PS fluid has a pretty low flash point which it can reach easy in the summer, your talking serious fire that spreads quick. Low flash point meaning it changes to a higher flammable property.The hose should be held by retainers and appt 7-8 inches from exh manifold. I agree it is just there almost in that position, but the picture here shows it 2 inch some places almost touching it. PLEASE check it out, Ive seen lots of fords burn to the ground cause the rack hose is right on the exhaust, also early mustands with ;pwr steering servos on drag link, they rub a hole and then hot ps fluid hits exhaust and FIRE.. it is obvious in the picture the heat shield is missing from exh manifold and the hose is not held in the correct placed by retainers.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

I will stand corrected if you specify what your using in the steering asssit pump , what king of hydraulic fluid your using determines the flash point or ignitable properties of the fluid,....if any even sometimes.

either way it need not be resting on exhaust manifold nor should spark wires.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

There is a wire holder for the plug wires that is supposed to be on the valve cover along the front.

As for the hose I think the flash makes it look closer then it is. It would be nice to have the heat shield back in there though. Or wrap your stock manifold.
    - llia

DX User

The power steering hose is pretty far away ... the picture makes it look funny. When I get home I will take another picture to show you guys.

I changed the gasket, and the old one looked almost like the new one !! I applied some RTV sealant around the grommets and tightened down the new one (not too much) and it hasn't leaked since. Maybe the old one had a small crack? There was also a lot of crap and residue under the old one which I cleaned up.

It looks good now... I'll post a picture when I get out of work.

The spark plug wire holder broke a while ago ... I will try to zip strip it somewhere further away from all that heat.

Any other ideas of what to do in preparation for such a long trip in such an old car??

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

Quote Originally Posted by A20A1
    There is a wire holder for the plug wires that is supposed to be on the valve cover along the front
    my 88 old valve cover dident have anywere to connect a wire holder still even then all he has to do is turn the wires upwords and stick the kragen el chepo wire holders on there and it should work fine