Thread: Hesitation + horrid mileage = carb issue?

DX User

Hesitation + horrid mileage = carb issue?

I am guessing this is an issue with the carb...
    85 hatchback, 1.8L

It hesitates pretty significantly anywhere under 2000rpms, and is getting pretty mad mileage (not sure, this is the first tank I have put in it, but estimate like 10mpg!). I can smell fuel in the car as well (definitely coming from the engine bay.

So I assume its the carb, and not having dealt with a carb before, what can I do to diagnose and solve the issue? Is this a rebuild the carb, replace the carb or something else?

Any help is much appreciated!

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Re: Hesitation + horrid mileage = carb issue?

well all carbs need to be adjusted...my carb has been rebuilt and it still ran the same so im going to have to adjust all the setings....also honda carbs have lots of hoses...get some part cleaner and try to spray it around the hoses and if the idle moves you have a bad or disconected hose....and did they happen b4 or after you put the rebuilt carb on it/.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

2ndGenGuy

These carbs are a mega pain. I don't know how much you can actually manually adjust on it.

If you're willing to do any work on the carb, you'd be best off buying a Weber carb and swapping it on. I see the Weber DGV 32/36 on Craigslist quite often for less than $200. Buy the adapter plate and bolt it on. I was able to do it, and I don't know crap about this kind of thing.

Besides that, it's probably cheaper than having yours rebuilt, then having to put it back on and deal with the 30+ vacuum hoses. The weber basically requires the fuel line to hook up, throttle cable, and a +12v to the choke.

Oooh I would also recommend it because you can remove about 40lbs of emissions crap that you never really needed.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    81 HB LX, 84 HB S, 89 LX-i Coupe

If you've never dealt with a carb., this is going to be difficult. These old Honda cars have so many vacuum lines to deal with. I know some can be bypassed and are just there for emissions. But, figuring out which ones and how to do that hack is super hard. Just hit it with lots of Gumout and see what happens...

Vehicle
    82 DX & 85 EX Accord Sedan Hondamatics

Poss corrosion of the carb in the float chamber? Seen this in most 2g carbs I've checked here & cause symptoms similar to what you've mentioned. Replacement carb is the only option if this is the case. Found carb wasn't difficult to pull to bits as long as you're really careful & methodical with it. TBH, rightly or wrongly, I even used the original gaskets to rebuild it (used a smear of gasket sealer as a precaution where necs) & it was absolutely fine after.

DX User

I am now thinking that its not a carb issue, but rather a sparkplug issue... Gotta get myself a correct wrench though!

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

Quote Originally Posted by gtivr4
    I am guessing this is an issue with the carb...
    85 hatchback, 1.8L
    It hesitates pretty significantly anywhere under 2000rpms, and is getting pretty mad mileage (not sure, this is the first tank I have put in it, but estimate like 10mpg!). I can smell fuel in the car as well (definitely coming from the engine bay.
    So I assume its the carb, and not having dealt with a carb before, what can I do to diagnose and solve the issue? Is this a rebuild the carb, replace the carb or something else?
    Any help is much appreciated!
    wow im having the exact same problem, im not 100% sure on 2geez with the weird engine codes, but could his be a a18 aswell as mine? not too sure though, these engines are pretty much the same as the 3geez arnt they? well ya my car has the same problem as his, except it aint my plugs

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX

Deleted post. I didn't realize this was in the 2g section.
    Last edited by TheWatcher; 09-21-2006 at 06:48 AM.

The Watcher sees all and knows all. I like to watch!

Vehicle
    85 honda accord LX

I wouldn't mess with the carb I rebuilt one w/ a friend It was bad, I put the carb back on and had a fuel leak that was not fun, so I had to get a junk carb and it workd out find, NOW I want a weber on my 2G. I stil have the old one u want to but it