Thread: Smoking, in the bad way

DX User

Angry Smoking, in the bad way

quote taken from WindsAloft989's thread
    Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda88dx
    yeah i changed my valve cover gasket...its not hard....i think it was like 5.50 at the parts store. i would also pick up a engine degreaser bottle to wash it all off....my car would smoke since it was burning the oil that landed on the headers....after i cleaned it all up it looked nice.
    Ok... so for the 86 dx that I've been asking for help with, I got the starter in and batt replaced and fired it up. Props to everyone that helped.
    But now I see smoke coming from the same area as WindsAloft989. Could I assume its "just" a valve cover gasket prob as well? Its leaking from at least 2 spots.

The [long] story, in case it helps with diagnosis:
    Was my mom's car, but my older brother's car was stolen or something and he asked my mom to use her's. She ok'd it and he drove it for a couple of years.
    In 04 it failed smog and had some other probs as well, so he decided to dump it in the driveway and its been sitting for just over 2 yrs. Now, I'm trying to get the thing up and running for my younger brother.

Charged up the batt and all I got was click click click. Researched and came to the conclusion of starter.
    Starter replaced, charged up batt>> was told by the guy at Autozone that it was bad.
    New batt in today. Took 2 tries before I got it to crank up, revved at 2000ish continually for 5-10 secs, then shut it off as I remembered I lost some coolant when originally moving around the hoses. Figured the 2k was normal is it had been sitting for so long.
    Topped it off, fired it up again without probs and it slowly revved up to 2300, pumped the brakes a bit and it got down to about 2000 again. Saw some wisps of smoke, shut it down and now I'm here again with probs instead of only props.

Additional info
    Didn't have the dipstick in there, so I had put in an additional 1/3 - 1/2 quart of oil to top it off when I first tried starting it up. Got a dipstick later and it measured above the mark by about 1/2 inch.
    *note* The car had been parked facing down the driveway, which is angled..... about 15-20 degrees.

So.... "just" the gasket prob?
    Rpms related, or diff prob?
    Additional maintenance/repair advice?

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Re: Smoking, in the bad way

well if you see it leaking you should replace it...also since the car has been siting the carb could be a lil jacked up....since it didnt pass smog you cant drive it right? i would say go drive it...put some gas since gas breaks down over time....you can use some seafoam...they sell that at autozone for 6.50...added it to my car and i got a bump in MPG and now the responce is nicer...and give the engine a good humm...i would also give it a tune up...my Dx is also in the process of geting it ready for smog. so far i changed the air filter, pulgs and wires, headgasket(since it busted) and valve cover gasket.im going to be doing the O2 sensor. like i said pick up a engine or any grease cleaner and spray it on the engine so you can clean it...then if it leaks you can identify were the leak is coming from. good luck and hope it passes smog...

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

DX User

Yeah, I gotta pick up some cleaner. Added about 2 gallons of gas before I started anything. I still have some seafoam left from when I treated my car, I'll put the rest in the accord's tank. There should be just about enough for the 1 or 2 oz per gallon recommendation.
    The main prob was the NOx, I've ordered up a new cat.

I also want to try getting the car level and doing an oil change. Maybe the engine angling down like that for so long has deprived certain parts of the internal components of lubricant.

What about the rpms? Normal?
    If it had been a while since a tuneup, and your accord was sitting for about a week, would it rev that high when you fired it up again?

Also, can someone post some pics of the stock batt terminal holder/enclosure?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

well the car had a cracked head and water would leak into the cylinders....it was siting for around 18 months....my mom ordered a JDM engine and trans and we swaped it in but i used the same carb and it did not like it. im not sure about pics but you can look at this https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52138

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

DX User

Ok, so update. Thanks for the link to the pics.

I was hoping to get everything done today and pick up some new headlight motors and misc items next weekend to finish it up.
    Some clarification on the smoke. It seems to be coming from beneath the headshiled for the headers. The worst is it seems to smell metallic! Did some searching for heatshield removal instructions and didn't find anything, just that the hose from the headers is really just the pre-heater hose. I don't hear any components grinding, so I'm hoping the smoke isn't from that.

Any ideas before I invest any more time and money?