Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: JDM B16A Manifold On B20A / Also Fits A20A

Vehicle
    a 93 z34 that's getting parted out, an 86 accord lx that now lives in a j/y, and a 90 camry le that the state no longer allows me to drive. soon to be replaced with an aprilia rs50 or a derbi gpr.
    haha yeah there were a few of those and i was like DUDE WHAT IS A FUCKING BUMBER
    if you still don't get it then find a different honda board or something
    ~<+045+ygH05+>~

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 LXI
    Yeah, ok But thanks for clearing that up bobafett.......

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX Sedan (RIP), 1989 (same) RIP, 86 Hatch Lx-i, JDM b20a, Gude headpkg, AEM cam gears/cai, thermal xhst, 2.5/3" lowrd tokico/groundctrl, 17" Seneca whls, hypereutectic pistons, .020" over, 13:1 comp
    Okay so what prevents me from drilling new holes in the intake manifold instead of new holes in the head?

I have a gold-top b20a, but I'm using the stock 86 a20 LX-i manifold, and after having a head porting, it slows me down a lot. The vacuum lines are out of control, and with the crazy cams I'm using, the car won't idle.

Regardless, my friend with a b16a (99 civic si motor) is getting a turbo set up, and he'll give me his intake manifold (YAY!)...

What prevents me from just drilling new holes on the manifold instead of drilling into my head... I'd much rather ruin a manifold by making bad holes than smack extra holes into my head. Although it would be nice to be able to bolt on any intake at a later time, if I drilled properly...

What do you dudes reccomend?

I definitely plan to use the intake... I just want to know why you don't drill new holes in the manifold plate instead of the head. Because then, what intake gasket would you use? Would you modify a b16a one or use a b20/a20 one?

Plus I want to get rid of the 193,332 vacuum lines all over the place that are probably not helping a damn soul. Vince's manifold (my friend) looks like it has about 1/19,333 of the vacuum lines (rough estimate) that my 86 a20 intake does...

That'd be the bomb. I hope my AEM intake piping that's custom fit will still slap on... lol... would suck if I have to re-custom it.

thanks dudes
    paul

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 LXI
    OK, let me give you the low down on this conversion because the only other person on this board, to my knowledge, besides Mike, Justin and myself are the only one's that have completed this swap..... First off, it's not as easy as you think if you don't have the right tools.... Secondly, you never want to drill into your head, you only drill into the intake manifold..... I'm not an expert on b20s but I do know that if the A20's intake mani. fits then a b16 mani. will fit also and you will end up using the A20's gasket...... Now by doing this conversion you will lose some vacuum lines but not that many, sorry to bust your bubble on that one..... One major thing you will have to do to the intake mani. is cut off the 2 water jacks that the b16 mani. has and then fill that hole with something like JB weld because if you don't, you'll never be able to drill the hole that goes in that spot....... Well, that's all I can think of right now but there is a lot more your going to have to know......

Vehicle
    88 Accord
    Would anyone by interested in a step-by-step how to with about a million pics? I have b16 intake manifold and a spare head. Let me know if it would be worth the effort.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    a million 56k friendly pics.
    - llia

Vehicle
    a 93 z34 that's getting parted out, an 86 accord lx that now lives in a j/y, and a 90 camry le that the state no longer allows me to drive. soon to be replaced with an aprilia rs50 or a derbi gpr.
    wow, a resurrection that wasn't pointless
    i'm impressed
    and a how to on this would rule!
    ~<+045+ygH05+>~

SEi User
    Vehicle
    burgundy 86 honda accord/ brown 89 chevy caprice wagon
    ahhh with turbo its not even worth bothering with unless your making sick power
    Want your A series to kick a B series engines ass?email me for detials or check out our site

WWW.ACCORDCENTRAL.COM

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch
    did you notice a power increase? i have a manifold floating around, and i will finish the project if its worthwhile. if i dont need it on my car ambers car can use it

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX Sedan (RIP), 1989 (same) RIP, 86 Hatch Lx-i, JDM b20a, Gude headpkg, AEM cam gears/cai, thermal xhst, 2.5/3" lowrd tokico/groundctrl, 17" Seneca whls, hypereutectic pistons, .020" over, 13:1 comp
    Thanks, joker2.

I know for a fact I'll feel the increased, after I match the b16 intake to my ported head... this 86 a20 intake is a real killer of my power (not to mention I need to clean my throttle body), and even if I had an 88 or 89 a20 intake, I'd probably be in better shape. I figured, why not just go for a much better intake anyway, since i'll be getting a b16a (99-00 civic Si) intake.

If no one's done it before I get to it, I'll take a ton of pictures as we go through the process. I may end up never doing it if this kid decides he's not going to get a turbo for some reason, but that's how we are when we're 20 (nothing is really planned, we just pretend)...

Anyway, even an improvement over the single butterfly setup the a20 intake has will be to my advantage. Like I said, between my cams and ported head, I can NOT get this car to idle without a) a vacuum pump or b)making the valves REAL loose, advancing the exhaust timing all the way, and retarding the intake.

The vacuum pump is REAL expensive. I like the alternatives, but I won't make the same power.

ugh...
    thanks dudes

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 LXI
    Well I can tell you this and that is the B20 uses a EGR valve like the A20 so what you're going to find out is that the car will loop funny anyway without that valve....... So if it's already doing it now you will probably be used to it once the B16 mani. goes on...... But seeing that you have other cars and this may not be your daily driver then I wouldn't be to concerned about the looping idle as long as your getting power from the setup......

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    Looping idle is bad ass. I love it when I hear a old muscle with a looping idle pull up next to me. You can allmost feel the car running next to you.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    Nah actually it's supposed to be my daily driver. I need the car. I have to get to class and work every day, and have been bumming rides for the past 3.5 weeks because I blew the head gasket and messed things up real bad because the timing belt jumped time.

I just spent almost that entire several weeks getting a hold of a head gasket, and now one of the gromets popped out and I don't know if I can still use it or not. The gromet pops back in, the one with the pink seal oval-shaped, and it looks as if it's supposed to just melt once the car runs for the first time, to seal it up. I don't know if it's a good idea or not though. Anyone know?

And I should use the a20 gasket for the b16a intake after I drill the new holes... and I'd drill the holes in the INTAKE and not the head... I am told never to drill into the head like that.

Either way... this sucks. I'm so mad. My car needs to be running now. I'm about to send the head gasket out to get it copied CNC machine-style, just to make sure it doesn't blow again.

ugh.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 LXI
    Which company do you plan on sending the headgasket to??? And yeah, use the A20 intake gasket to mark off your new holes on the B16 mani..... The bottom holes of the A20 gasket line up on the B16 mani. but it's just the top holes that you'll have to drill.....

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1986 prelude
    hey guys im also in the process of doing my conversion
    i got the holes on and everything for my b20 i got it on i just havent covered up the water jackets yet when i do im not gonna put a hole there the machine shop said it would be necessary my question is what gasket do i use and i want to run the b20a5 ecu and the distrubutor how would i make this distrubutor work since i got vaccum advance im littel confused and any one knwo what i do with the extra lines i have
    rhd restoration 2nd gen prelude

Vehicle
    85 accord (2x DCOE) 88 Nova (4AGZE + msII) 98 Jetta TDI
    Either t the vacuume lines off an existing port on the manifold or go to home depot and pick up a hose fitting that'll fit the vacuume line you want to attach and a pipe tap. Find a convienet spot on the manifold plenum, preferably where its got plenty of meat, then drill and tap a hole for the fitting. Use an a20a intake gasket or a thin layer of permatex.

andy

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Hatchback LX-i
    you guys also might want to check out using a nylon IM gasket. I'm using one on my 3G prelude right now and it lowered air temperatures by 50 degrees F inside the plenum. The thick nylon insulates the heat from the cylinder head so the air inside the IM stays cooler and denser. I don't know how much power it actually adds, but every little bit helps. I figured if you already have the IM off, you might as well put a nice gasket back on.

Some companies make nylong gaskets like i'm talking about, but there's no aftermarket support for the prelude. I had to make my own. I ordered a sheet of that special nylon online. I bought a brand new honda gasket and traced it on to the nylon. Then I just took my air dremel and a utility knife and got to work. After an hour, i had a perfect copy of the stock gasket -- except 1/8" thick and nylon.

just a thought...