Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: $50 paint job...dyi..and hot as hell

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

Re: $50 paint job...dyi..and hot as hell

Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    wow, going back to read my own post on this old thread. I was out of my ever lovin mind, I don't even remember writing it. That was a little over a week after having back surgury and pretty heavily medicated
    Basically nothing was said that was not true but dam.
    Don't do drugs folks, even though you think you are all together you really ain't and it shows... anyway back on topic
    It is very possible to get a nice look out of rattle cans, and brushes or rollers. Use high quality materials, no nylon bristles, and pay close attention to your environment. Sanding- very important to use sponge blocks for wet and hard blocks for dry. Use a tack rag, have two on hand if you can.Also, there is equipment out there now that You can use to spray professional automotive paint without having large shop two stage compressor and expensive paint guns. Harbor freight, pep boys, for example have paint guns that clone the high dollar ones.. for a tenth of the price , just fine for personal hobby use.
    Also You can use small oil-less compressors, hooked together to an extra air tank you use for tires.
    would a Elec paint gun work?

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    88 Accord LX-i

Where do I get Tremclad I was told rustolem professional in gray gallon is equivalent to tremclad. Does it have to be oil based or no? No one around here has heard of Tremclad. Any pictures of the rustoleum gallon would be appreciated.

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

yall haave walmart rite? go get the rustolem in the quarts from there they should be like $7-8bucks thats what most ppl use theres some how toos and shit on like honda-tech

Vehicle
    1987 Lxi Sedan with manual tranny

Just thought I would give you all a chance to see what it is about.

http://www.chrisrowland.com/honda1.htm

This is my car and I have been working on it. Approx 4 days worth of work (working about 1-2 hours a day at the most).

For a 20 year old car I don't think it looks too bad.

Also I haven't polished it up yet so it will be looking better than the pictures (I also have to remove the painters tape, fix mistakes, etc).

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

Quote Originally Posted by partyharty View Post

This is my car and I have been working on it. Approx 4 days worth of work (working about 1-2 hours a day at the most).

Also I haven't polished it up yet so it will be looking better than the pictures (I also have to remove the painters tape, fix mistakes, etc).
    nice timeline

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

damn that looks pretty good i was going to do mine that same color

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Accord View Post
    damn that looks pretty good i was going to do mine that same color
    I like it, I was really getting worried about it because when I first started painting, the color was John Deer Green

Once I got a few coats on the car, the color started darkening up. It is still not what I consider hunter green but it is getting there.

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

I like it, I was really getting worried about it because when I first started painting, the color was John Deer Green

Once I got a few coats on the car, the color started darkening up. It is still not what I consider hunter green but it is getting there.
    yeah i think ima get a can this summmer and try it out on my trunk and if i cant get it to come out good il just sand it back down and primer it again lol

Vehicle

Be warned the first few coats will look like crap, if you are doing it right , they will not cover up the paint job below. It took 4-5 coats before I started thinking that it might actually work

(I was checking out paint for my spray rig, because I thought the current paintjob was ruined, I decided to finish up with the paint I had and in the end it started looking a lot better)

Vehicle
    88 Accord LX-i

Hey Partyharty nice looking paintjob. What kind of paint did you use? Did you wetsand after 2 coats? I want to do mine one of these days I think I'll go over the stock paint like you did.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX Hatchbacik

Partyharty, did you even do any prep work? Did you paint right over the pinstripe lol?

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by bank2me View Post
    Hey Partyharty nice looking paintjob. What kind of paint did you use? Did you wetsand after 2 coats? I want to do mine one of these days I think I'll go over the stock paint like you did.
    I used rustoleum professional hunter green.

I wetsanded after about 3 coats (I started painting one day and didn't quite finish the car so I just did 2 more coats and wet sanded after that. The rustoleum will stick to the stock paint fine. I did screw up a place on my car where the rubber molding is, I taped up around the molding so I could spray the bedliner coating on the moldings. When I pulled the tape the paint was not dry enough and it pulled some of the paint off below it. I get to fix that. Did the other side with no problems whatsoever so I am guessing that the paint simply was not cured enough on that side of the car.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by BITESIZE View Post
    Partyharty, did you even do any prep work? Did you paint right over the pinstripe lol?
    ya caught me

I did a little prep work. I sanded the car with 600 grit paper before I painted. I tried to remove the pinstripe and it was not coming off (I tried a heat gun, taking it to the car wash and using the high pressure sprayer to "cut" it off, I even tried to use a scraper to just scrape it off (ended up messing up the paint around the pin stripe). I got a lot of it off but there was a lot that simply would not come off. As I was going for functional more than looks, I elected to paint over what was left.

I am planning to run another pinstripe over it (in the same place) when I am done so that way it won't look too bad. It needs something to break up the green now (lol)
    Last edited by partyharty; 04-17-2008 at 09:21 AM.

Vehicle
    88 Accord LX-i

Nice Harty do you have any pics of the car now? and how many gallons of paint did you use?

Vehicle

Nice Harty do you have any pics of the car now? and how many gallons of paint did you use?
    I just updated the site

I used about 1.5 quarts.

-Chris

Vehicle
    88 Accord LX-i

Party how did you wetsand yours? And how long did you wait after painting to wetsand?

Vehicle

Party how did you wetsand yours? And how long did you wait after painting to wetsand?
    I tried to pretty much stick to a 2 a day regiment

Meaning I would usually wet sand in the morning, wash down the car, dry it off with a cloth and then paint, then I would roll it again in the afternoon. I am on my 2nd wet sanding and my 5ish coat of paint (some area's have 4 and some have 5).

Now yesterday I just did a little touch up to several area's and wet sanded (it was going to rain). It is supposed to be good weather this weekend and I am hoping to finish it up by Sunday.

and to answer a question you had on another thread, I have washed the car down with a hose (just with the pressure from the house) within 12-24 hours of painting but I would not use a power sprayer for a while. The paint takes a while to dry. I have a couple of places where I taped the car (for trim and what not) and when I pulled off the tape a small section of paint came up with it (because it was not dry enough).

Vehicle
    88 Accord LX-i

Harty Did you use just the foam on the roller or did you put the fuzzy fabric over the foam and paint it that way? I'm gonna start today on my hatch and see what happens.Also did you wipe the car with mineral spirits after painting?

Vehicle

Harty Did you use just the foam on the roller or did you put the fuzzy fabric over the foam and paint it that way? I'm gonna start today on my hatch and see what happens.Also did you wipe the car with mineral spirits after painting?
    I did wipe the car with mineral spirits each time BEFORE I painted it. Since I was painting outside, this allowed me to wipe off all the pollen, bugs, etc

I just used the foam on the roller (not sure what you are talking about regarding the "fuzzy fabric". Be sure to get the right roller though, pretty much anything else leaves a pattern in the paint.

Vehicle
    88 Accord LX-i

Thanks Party for the help my rollers came with the fabric you put over the foam and then paint. I will just use the foam then. Maybe I'll try wiping the car with mineral spirits first. Do you know if the rustoleum will be ok over bondo?

Vehicle

Thanks Party for the help my rollers came with the fabric you put over the foam and then paint. I will just use the foam then. Maybe I'll try wiping the car with mineral spirits first. Do you know if the rustoleum will be ok over bondo?
    I did not use bondo but I believe that it will work. Check out the thread over on moparparts (do a google search for $50 paint and mopar and it should be the first result). I actually finished my car tonight (pictures are up at my site).

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

I have a couple of places where I taped the car (for trim and what not) and when I pulled off the tape a small section of paint came up with it (because it was not dry enough).
    You're usually supposed to pull the tape off when the paint is still wet. This prevents the tape from peeling the paint off. However, since you're obviously doing many coats, I'm really not sure what would work best for you.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by guyhatesmycar View Post
    You're usually supposed to pull the tape off when the paint is still wet. This prevents the tape from peeling the paint off. However, since you're obviously doing many coats, I'm really not sure what would work best for you.
    You are correct. This was one of the things I figured out afterwards. The good thing is that I was able to fix it up in the end so it is really hard to tell where the paint was pulled up.

This is my first car to paint so I did have a bit of a learning curve. I am pretty sure if I had picked up a spray gun though I could have really done some damage

Vehicle
    88 Accord LX-i

Harty How long did you wait between painting separate coats? How long do you wait til wetsanding it?

Vehicle

Harty How long did you wait between painting separate coats? How long do you wait til wetsanding it?
    Usually about 8 hours between coats. If you paint a second coat b4 the first is dried then you will have problems. Wetsanding was done pretty much 8 hours after the paint was put on the car.