Thread: love at first drive?

DX User

love at first drive?

well ive been driving american (or american brand) cars for 14 years.

my last one died and so in desperation I got a 1988 honda accord with 290,000 miles.

My mechanic says it is way past its time for the scrap yard - i agree, but im just broke at the moment.

the only problem is that im slowly starting to fall in love with this honda.

and slowly i pour more and more money into it. today i got a new horn, and replaced a few missing screws on the bumper. tomorrow... who knows? fixing a rusted body panel? a new hood?

when i should be concentrating on getting a newer car... but i just dont know if i can say goodbye to this one!

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

Re: love at first drive?

pics

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Hatch (Sold),1989 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 88 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 89 LX-i Sedan (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by dbri
    well ive been driving american (or american brand) cars for 14 years.
    my last one died and so in desperation I got a 1988 honda accord with 290,000 miles.
    My mechanic says it is way past its time for the scrap yard - i agree, but im just broke at the moment.
    the only problem is that im slowly starting to fall in love with this honda.
    and slowly i pour more and more money into it. today i got a new horn, and replaced a few missing screws on the bumper. tomorrow... who knows? fixing a rusted body panel? a new hood?
    when i should be concentrating on getting a newer car... but i just dont know if i can say goodbye to this one!
    I know how you feel I purchased my Honda in Dec. 05 for a daily commuter car the price of gas was killing my wallet having to fill up my truck at least 3 times a week.
    I too have fallen for the Honda and have done all sorts of minor modifations to it (tires & rims, stereo, CAI) my friends think I'm crazy for putting money into this car but they just dont know
    Enjoy and

Oh I forgot to mention I have 2 of them now one to drive and one for parts....
    Last edited by Pico; 09-05-2006 at 08:47 PM.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

yeah my mom bought the honda back in 88...and she keeped it and changed the engine and trans for my birthday...i learned how to drive in it....so i knoe the feeling...it was giving me probs so i just got a LX-i with 5 speed trans. and now i love the 3gee even more...oh yeah and hope you can do some nice stuff to your car.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1988 EX-i 4dr, 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 2006 TSX

Welcome back... And I know what you mean, I kinda want another car just to mess around with, but I love driving my car, and it makes me dump more and more money into it. They're great cars.

And welcome to the board.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lxi Coupe

its funny how most of us bought this lil car as a commuter because of gas. then you look online to find a solution to a problem you find with it, find 3geez.com, and youre hooked! lol

welcome to the forum and enjoy the car!

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

Quote Originally Posted by mkymonkey
    its funny how most of us bought this lil car as a commuter because of gas. then you look online to find a solution to a problem you find with it, find 3geez.com, and youre hooked! lol
    that would be me all the way and now i own 2 lol

Vehicle
    1989 LX Sedan, 1989 LX-i Sedan (Parts Car)

Quote Originally Posted by mkymonkey

That's exactly my problem. Bought it for gas savings, piddle around with it for a year until I got it reliable enough to title and inspect and start using it, drove it for a year and kept doing small improvements. Now I really love my little car and I dont know why. I never liked cars, I swore I would always have a truck (country boy, dont ask) But now that my car is down, I feel like I'm missing something in my life already. Never thought I'd fall for a 17 year old car that wasnt that stylish really, but I think it's happened LOL. Otherwise I wouldnt have a second one in the garage ready to donate it's organs to mine to keep it running longer.....
    View my Image Gallery
    1989 Honda Accord LX
    2006 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    1996 Dodge Ram 1500
    2000 Dodge Ram 1500
    1996 Acura Integra GSR VTEC (GONE)

MY 3G UPDATE THREAD

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

lol my uncle just came by and he said that he hated flip lights and i told him that i loved them and he should not he hating since i have 2 of them and they both work....he had a lx for like 10 years...and his car was good but dumped it cuz it would not pass smog...i was piss with him until now cuz he threw a 170k car .

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX

Before I bought my 89 I was anti-honda. I decided since I saw a lot of them around that they might not be as bad as I thought. I drove that car for over a year and a half. I drove her up until she couldn't drive anymore. It broke my heart to have to let her go. She always got me where I needed to go without incident, up until that fateful day of the trans going. Even with that, she still got me home safe and sound. The bearings in the trans went and I lost 1st, 3rd and 5th. She still got me home, only able to do a max of 45. I checked her out and she had a cracked trans case, one of the CV's was coming out of the case and the carb starting pouring out gas. So I knew it was her time. As you notice I refer to my old car as "her". This thing had one hell of a personality if that were possible. Now I am looking into getting an 88 that needs some love. These cars will treat you well so long as you take care of their basic needs. You fall in love with them, then you can't drive anything else because you don't feel right. I have went through three cars since and I can't find anything I liked as much. I have tried the VW's and those are a nightmere waiting to happen, so all I want is another honda. Gotta love em.

Vehicle
    72 145s my dad has the million k 87 lx

they were well built for their time it seems that most of the hondas have a soul

dbri Welcome to the forums glad to see your injoying your 3gee. if you decide to part just make sure it gets a good home peac
    Last edited by 1ajs; 09-05-2006 at 08:46 PM.