Thread: starter motor or starter solenoid

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

starter motor or starter solenoid

ive searched but there are too many abbreviations for me to know which one to replace.

Anyways, i go to start my car and turn my key and it just clicks every time. Engine does not crank or anything. This has happened every once in a while in the past few months but usually a second or third attempt will make it crank and start right away.

So if my starter is bad, do i replace the starter motor or starter solenoid or both and where could i get one of those. Are the ones at advance auto, autozone, napa good or do i have to go to the dealorship. We dont have any junkyards here where i live so thats not an option.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Re: starter motor or starter solenoid

is your battary still good? mine did the same thing and i took in the battery to the place where i got it and they charged it up for free....now everything works find....on my Dx the starter flange broke....i think it was a weak design...cuz at the junkyard most automatics had the same problem.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle

my battery is 3 years old, but i beleive its good since i listen to music from my carputer for hours and hours at a time with the car off then go to start it and it starts with no problem but i havent done that in the past 2 weeks so its not dead from doing that recently.

I checked all the cables and cleaned the battery terminals with a wire brush then tried to jump it and it did not start.

What is the starter flange, i do have a DX automatic.
    Last edited by conozo; 09-05-2006 at 09:04 AM.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

the Ear in part number #4 broke and the starter would not click in. i think my starter was 12 bucks at the junkyard...but since its your DD you should get a New one with lifetime warranty. maybe like 80 bucks?

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

could be your battery even though you say its good, batteries can last a few years, going strong, then all of a sudden not start the car. when your turning the key, does the lights in the gauge clust stay bright or go very dim or something? if the're dim, jumpstart your car, then you will know if your battery i good or not.

but if it's not your battery, you might aswell get both seeing its all just one piece

Vehicle

The flange was fine. I just took the battery in to be tested and it was good. So i ordered a new starter motor and solenoid all in one at napa for $110. Ill be installing it this afternoon.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle

I got the starter motor and solenoid all in one from napa and bolted it on then while i was bolting on the power cable the copper bolt broke, so i had to take it off and return it exchange it for a new one. The pain was that i had to wait for them to get another one in my city which only took a day but still.

I put the new one on and havent had a starting problem since.

I called up the honda dealorship for a price quote to install a new starter, they quoted me at $350 which included the part. It only cost me $110 to do it myself. Dealorships are such a rip off. In the past year alone i have saved over $1000 by doing the work myself.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I