Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: bad warming up

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

Re: bad warming up

Quote Originally Posted by russiankid
    Also overdoes why do you have 2 vacuum lines missing near the engine mount in the pic? And the connector unplugged?
    when i done the head gasket, i broke the little piece that goes into the water line and has 2 hoses comming off it, i replace it with plugs but i took them off and lost 1 and blocked a different hose which caused alotta putt putt. i think i figured that its a choke vacuum diaphram or w/e its called, cause when theres vacuum on it, it makes a funny noise, im trynna replace it but cant get the damn screws out :@ i removed the valve cover and air box to get at them for better access but still hard (mind u i am rather weak) but im really hoping thats causing all my problems.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

pulled it apart, and found a big rip in it

excuse the big pic, but i replaced it, the car is alot better now, just the only problem now is when its warm, it idles at 1000rpm (that not the problem) but if ya turn it off and turn it on straight away, it acts as if its cold again and takes about 2 minutes to idle again, and cold starts are pure shit, but it idles at 100rpm when warm if not turned off which is a good thing, and can make a good squeel of the tyres at the lights

Vehicle
    88 Accord Hatch Lx to the i

lol... i like how u use an slr to take these pics

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

Quote Originally Posted by hotdoghogie
    lol... i like how u use an slr to take these pics
    slr??????

well now i have a completly unrelated problem here, worst thing yet, the carb backfired as usual, the accelerater locked and its tight, cant get it loose

choke flap is also stuck tight, help? pritty pleeeeeeease. we were just making prograss too :'(

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

go get a 2g honda oprelude XX and steal the twin carb package off an ES engine. WAY BETTER i tell ya. but im not a fan of carbed a18a. every signle carbed a18a engine ive seen and have never worked it allways did what urs does so i wood just give. thats how my 1.8Si came about. as for your problem it will most likely be something mechanical that jammed like a flap or something. i remember pissing round all night with a carb on a a18a trying to get it go just so i could go out and do laps... me and carbs dont go well together. i must admit YOU my friend have a fuckload more patience than me. my hammer wood have mutated your carb ages ago if it was me

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

oo my other carb has already met the hammer... sad really, im close to getting it done though, i think it may be the fast idle adjusting screw screwed out a bit 2 much

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

yay made huge progress today (kinda) well as u can see in the above picture, the throttle linkage was stuck fuck all open and couldnt move it, i removed all that shit (choke, fast idle unloader etc...)

and i decided since it was off, i might as well put on the other one since it was in good condition, and now, when cold, revs up to 2krpm, when warmed up, it drops down below 1krpm

nooooooooooooooooow the only problem is...... how do i get it to run smoothly?? im gonna check for vacuum leaks again since i hammered a heap of hoses outta the way to access the screws.,,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,. any other suggestions? im just glad i have all the time in the world and dont need money to fix this

i can see the light at the end of the tunnel
    Last edited by A18A; 10-12-2006 at 06:51 PM.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

well i think this is the best im gonna get it, very bouncy idle, but doesnt stall, and when its warm if you slap the accelerator then it locks onto fast idle untill ya rev it more, but thats ok, warm idle bounces between 500 - 1100 im happy with that

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

ok so theres no power going to that solenoid going to the back of the carb with the green/red wire.. i red on some thread that i should check that, i heard it click when i shorted it right 2 the battery, it clicked, so i turn the key, no click, so neways, i start it and runs like shit as normal, i put that little wire on the battery and it all smooths out to my surprise... so now i gott put all my settings back lol.... but it should be alright to short that wire to the black/yellow one on the coil right? coz if i had it on the battery all the time, the car keeps running after i turn it off lol

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

erghm now i have no high idle while its cold and keeps stalling till it warms up i know its not the fast idle unloader, but thats all i know lol. and its running rough again i shorted the slow mixture cut off valve solenoid to the battery with a better wire and it didnt help, but if it can just idle high when cold ill be happy.... its best to sell it while it runs like a normal 20 yr old car
    Last edited by A18A; 11-10-2006 at 12:53 AM.

Vehicle
    1990 Cadillac Fleetwood

Do you mean you know the fast idle unloader itself is ok, or the vacuum lines to it are as well? Just be sure there isn't vacuum at the hoses going to the unloader. If there is, that problem has to be traced (thermovalve or something). Other than that, it would have to be something in the linkage there. The fast idle is, in the end, just a little cam that physically gets in the way of the throttle arm (in steps) in order to hold it open some. So either there's vacuum on the unloader, or the linkage where the unloader arm, choke arm and all that junk come together is binding or messed up somehow. Spray the linkage with carb cleaner, then some WD-40. If that doesn't help, inspect it for parts being stuck or any of those little springs broken, etc...

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

oo are you talking about that little screw that you have to pretty much open the throttle almost fully open just so you could fit a screw driver and turn it?

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

After seeing that you still have issues, when you have the time and money go to a junkyard and pull a carb, and just install it. Then with this one you can slowly rebuild it and resolve the problem so later on you have a carb ready to go.
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

well i got it to idle high when cold and low when warm, without stalling , dunno what the problem was, but runs better i might end up bumping this thread if i still have problems in the future

Vehicle
    72 145s my dad has the million k 87 lx

good to see ya fixed it