Thread: Front Control Arm Bushing replacement

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA

Front Control Arm Bushing replacement

Hello everyone!

I'm in the process of replacing both axles, tranny seals and also the lower control arm bushings (where the shock fork mounts to the arm). Like most of the brave ones who tried to do this, I had to deal with a seized lower shock bolt. I cut it out and removed the remains of the bushing from the arm. Now I must install the new MOOG booshing I ordered. Unfortunately, I cannot remove the arm from the car because the inner mounting bolt is age-welded to the metal insert in the inner bushing. Thus, I'm forced to install the new bushing with the arm still on the car. I've tried freezing the bushing and heating up the control arm, but the bushing will not go in. I doubt that I could find or build a device that could press this bushing in while on the car (if anyone has any ideas, please share). My last option, it seems, is to cut a slit in the outter metal shell of the bushing and press it in. This should allow it to go in much more easily and shouldn't cause any adverse effects. What are your opinions on this plan?

P.S.: My old bushing had its rubber piece almost separating from the outter shell in places and it showed no ill effects. A small slit in the metal shouldn't cause a problem IMO.
    3axap.
    ------------------------------------------------

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: Front Control Arm Bushing replacement

whew thats gonna be a bear. Could try a big C-clamp to press that baby in there or maybe run a bolt and wahers thru the bushing and pull it thur some how like that. it will take some rigging.

If its the front bushing that the strut is hooked into I would consider cutting it into 2 pieces to insert it.

wp

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA

Yes, this is one of the front bushings. I can get a large 8" C-clamp that might be able to press this sucker in. I might try the bolt idea first. Hopefully it doesn't take that much pressure to press a new bushing in and the heating/freezing/lube technique helps relieve some of the stress. What exactly do you mean by cutting it into two pieces? I've been told that cutting the outter sleeve might cause the bushing to have a loose fit and as a result cause noise.
    3axap.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

I meant just that cut it in two a left and a right . im assuming its the lip that wont clear the hole. I dont think its the best deal but it might be your only option short of a new arm with new bushings in it.

If you can pull it thru with a long bolt washer deal and maybe an over sized socket upagainst the arm and lots and lots of lube.

wp

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

I can almost garranty no C-clamp is going to push that bushing out. If you had a press with some fittings to fit the bushing & press it out, then your good to go. Other than that. good luck...

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA

Well, after trying my C-clamp idea and getting the bushing half way in, it has come to a halt. So I am now waiting to get new inner bushings and bolts. The center bolts are getting cut out and I'll press new bushings in at work. Good excuse to get a nicer grinder Now if only I could get some time to do all this. In the meantime, the bimmer is a daily commuter (16mpg goodness). Thanks for all the input!
    3axap.

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA

UPDATE:

I finally managed to remove the control arms and the new inner bushings arrived today. New bolts are also en route. I ended up cutting the inner bolts into three pieces and then using a pipe wrench to remove the remains of the bolt from the body threads. Two hours of work and we are on a road to recovery.

Favorite new tool: Angle Die Grinder...love the sparks
    3axap.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

Quote Originally Posted by '89AccordLX(Rus)
    UPDATE:

I finally managed to remove the control arms and the new inner bushings arrived today. New bolts are also en route. I ended up cutting the inner bolts into three pieces and then using a pipe wrench to remove the remains of the bolt from the body threads. Two hours of work and we are on a road to recovery.

Favorite new tool: Angle Die Grinder...love the sparks
    That's how I did mine... this just SUCKS how much they can seize up.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742