Thread: PLEASE HELP!! engine gasket questions

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988/honda/accord lx

Exclamation PLEASE HELP!! engine gasket questions

i need to replace my intake manifold and carburator gaskets... i have heard from everybody that it's a pretty tough job and it's really time consuming... i know that i probably couldn't do it myself... which is why i'm wondering how much it would cost to have it done by, either a shop, or a private party... i have heard that i could fix it temporarily by filling it with liquid gasket, but that doesn't sound too promising... can you guys please help me, i can't even keep my car running ta drive it down tha block... PLEASE HELP!! thanks a lot everybody

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX

Re: PLEASE HELP!! engine gasket questions

you can do it yourself. the reason it may take a while is because the bolts on the bottom of the intake manifold are hard to get to.
    it is hard to say how much it can cost you. you best bet would be to go around shops and ask.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    1990 Cadillac Fleetwood

If you have a few socket extensions and spanner wrenches, the bottom bolts on the manifold aren't too bad really. The only pain in the butt here is the vacuum connections to the carb. I used five different colored paint markers to mark which hoses go where when I took mine off. In the process, I got rid of most of them lol...but the markers work well for keeping track.

You will also have to remove the EGR valve on top of the manifold to get it off that return pipe...and the other pipe that goes right into the manifold. I ended up having a tough time just pulling it out (there wasn't much room), but it can be done that way instead of removing everything on top of the pipe and then the pipe itself. Some of those other emissions solenoids are bolted to the manifold, but that's no problem.

In addition to the bolts holding the manifold where the gasket is, there are two that go up from underneath that hold it onto a support bracket. Don't forget those.

Essentially, it's not at all a technically difficult job, just rather tedious....which means it costs about 5 bucks to do yourself, and I could see a shop ripping you off a good 100 bucks because of the time it takes...just a guess though.

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

The price on doing that job depends on where you take it too. Honda could charge close to $500 while Joe & Billy Bob's shop might charge you $150-$200. Just make sure ASE certified technicians work on your car.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988/honda/accord lx

since i'm probably just gonna be doing this myself, can you guys give me steps on how to do it? i searched for a tutorial or something to help me, but couldn't find anything... and chilton's is garbage when it came ta this subject haha... thanks a lot everybody...

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988/honda/accord lx

damn, thank you so much... this helps everything out... it's not as hard as i thought it would be... thanks a lot man, i really appreciate it

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I did the IM gasket on my '92 Accord not too long ago. Some say you don't have to remove the IM, but I had to since I wanted a clean gasket mating surface and not just slap on a new gasket. So I took removed the manifold, which was a bitch cuz the 12mm bolts are hard to get to on the bottom. But after that it was pretty straightforward (removing injectors/rail, coolant hoses, etc.) Just remember not to nick the area where the gasket sits with a razor.