Thread: a20a1 bottom intake manifold bolts

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988/honda/accord lx

need help removing intake manifold

so i have a carb'd 88lx and i need to replace the carburator and intake manifold gaskets. i have the carb off, and now i need to take off the intake manifold. i have the top bolts off of the manifold, but i dont know how to get to the bottom ones. can anybody help me with this? any tricks or anything? thanks a lot everybody, you've all been a great help for me throughout this whole thing, thanks a lot.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord Lxi

Re: need help removing intake manifold

When i was rebuilding my 87 carb accord i just had the car on those things that you drive the car on not jack stands but the big yellow ramps.. and i just crawled under the car and got like 2 or 3 of them from there and like there very side bottum ones on the left and right i believe i got them from top... but they are a pain to get it ... just need small hands I got mine out pretty easy just putt them back on was kinda tricky i think

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

you slide in a socket with a pivoting elbow joint from the top of the manifold to the screws under the manifold... there are gaps in the intake manifold but it's hard to get to them with all the vacuum crap in the way some times.
    - llia

Vehicle
    1990 Cadillac Fleetwood

I got a few of them with extenders so I could put the socket underneath where I could reach. and one near the middle I used a spanner wrench 1/8 turn at a time lol.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988/honda/accord lx

yeah, i didn't even think about pivoting sockets haha... and i looked at it from tha bottom and didn't see any way that i could get to them any easier, but then again it had already started gettin dark haha... thanks everybody, i really appreciate all tha help

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988/honda/accord lx

Exclamation a20a1 bottom intake manifold bolts

i have an 88 accord lx and have been in the process of changing the carb and intake manifold gaskets on the a20a1. i've been trying to find ways to unbolt the bottom bolts on the intake manifold for several days, on and off, but no luck. thank you to the people that were helping me before, you've gotten me this far haha. people have given me sites that show how to take the manifold off in general, but they dont really explain how to get the bottom bolts off. i need to know the best way to get these damn bolts off once and for all haha. it's frustrating cause i cant figure this shit out haha. thanks again everybody, i really appreciate it.

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

Re: a20a1 bottom intake manifold bolts

You need to remove some hoses & anything in the way if your trying to do it from the top. Like the water hoses by the distributor & such. Some of the bolts might not be easy to get but from the bottom. Just put the car up on jackstands, use a good drop light. Use about a 12" extension & swivel on a socket from the bottom. IF you have problems getting to them from obstacles in the way, remove them or take them loose. Take in mind that ratcheting wrenches are the next best thing to slice bread.

Vehicle
    72 145s my dad has the million k 87 lx

also pull your rad out it helps

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

No need to pull the radiator out. Not sure what he is talking about or if he knows.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Oh pivoting joint + extenders... also the socker you use has to be thin enough to fit over the nut and deep enough too.

You could also try 12mm wrenches and reach under the manifold... but I would remove the PCV stuff and maybe the oil filter.
    Also the intake manifold supports that bolt to the intake manifold from the block... if they get in the way.
    - llia

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

i knoe his job sucks....thats why when i did my headgasket i left the intake mani and the exhuast on and had to get help to pick it up cuz it was damn heavy.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988/honda/accord lx

yeah... im a pretty lanky guy, i got some big hands (i play too much bball haha)... but yeah, i tried to reach underneath with a 12mm open and closed wrench but didn't have any luck... and what are spanner wrenches? i was thinkin about using pivoting extensions though... thanks for all the information fellas, i really appreciate all of this

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

Spanner wrench is any wrench that grabs the bolt basically. Anyhow, think about replacing the head gasket & removing the whole head with the intake & header attached.

Last edited by 88Accord-DX; 10-12-2006 at 02:47 PM.

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

i think thats how im gona do it when i do the fi swap it looks so much easyer

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

More than likely you could use a new head gasket if never replaced in the life of the motor. Make sure you clean the both the head & deck on the block REAL GOOD. Don't knick the aluminum head with the a razor nife when cleaning gaskets off the intake or head gasket. Your can use the old head bolts, must torque them to about 24 lbs. on first pass, then 53 on second pass. (couple extra tourque lbs. on reused bolts) Clean the bolt holes in the block good & dip the clean head bolts in fresh oil to provide proper torque useing a torque wrench. The link should help too in a previous thread I mentioned.

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

Quote Originally Posted by ddude2uc
    More than likely you could use a new head gasket if never replaced in the life of the motor. Make sure you clean the both the head & deck on the block REAL GOOD. Don't knick the aluminum head with the a razor nife when cleaning gaskets off the intake or head gasket. Your can use the old head bolts, must torque them to about 24 lbs. on first pass, then 53 on second pass. (couple extra tourque lbs. on reused bolts) Clean the bolt holes in the block good & dip the clean head bolts in fresh oil to provide proper torque useing a torque wrench. The link should help too in a previous thread I mentioned.
    what link

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

Quote Originally Posted by ghettogeddy
    what link
    I'll get it when I get home from work.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX Hatchbacik

Those bolts suck a mean nut!

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

Here the link that shows how to pull the head off. I done mentioned it to him in another thread...

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d800cf55f.jsp

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988/honda/accord lx

i aint tryin ta take tha whole head off, but thanks for the suggestion. i just cant get ta these damn bolts, it's killin me haha. id rather not take tha head off, so if anybody knows any hints ta get these little fuckers off of here, lemme know haha. thanks everybody.

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

The only way your going to get them bolts out is to remove hoses & such on both sides of the intake & reach down up under the intake. Or use some extentions with a swivel & deep 12 mm socket from underneath. That & try to go in between the intake spaces. Don't think there is much more options. Pretty straight forward. Good luck..

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988/honda/accord lx

i knew this was gonna be pretty complicated, but this is just ridiculous haha... i just wish this mother fucker would run right haha... and on top of that, ima need ta replace my clutch asap, it was slippin like a bitch tha last time i drove it haha. so yeah, thanks again everybody, i really appreciate all tha help and support i've recieved. thanks a lot.