Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto up issue solved!

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA

HOW-TO: Enabling Auto-Up feature

This guide explains how to enable the Auto-Up feature on the driver's window. It is possible to do this for other windows as well, but it involves additional wiring and the need for additional driver door control boxes for each individual window. It must be noted that two different switch types were used on the Accords. The switches found in 1986-1987 cars already have the auto-up contact installed in the switch and only require some soldering and plastic trimming. These switches can be distinuished by the white bottom piece as well as an unused contact on the side. Cars made in 1988 and 1989 have a switch that does not include an auto-up contact. These switches are also completely black. The modification is most easily done with the 86-87 switch type since only a little soldering and trimming is required. The 88-89 switch modification requires another donor switch from which the additional contact can be taken. In addition, holes need to be drilled and the switch body has to be trimmed for the contact to be installed. The pictures in this how-to show the 88-89 style switch.
    Basic steps (assuming that the switch array has been removed already):
    1.) Remove the driver's switch from the switch array and use a pin to disengage the wiring from the main connector. (Sketch/write down/memorize where the wires go in the connector)
    2.) Disassemble switch and install the additional contact.
    3.) Trim the switch body to allow for more travel.
    4.) Reassemble switch and make sure that it operates in its full range and engages the new contact.
    5.) Solder an additional wire to the new contact. (This wire can come from a donor switch)
    6.) Reconnect the wiring to the main connector. The shop manual (available at http://www.pauldesign.ru/) has the connector wire colors if you do not remember where they go. The wire that was soldered to the new contact goes in the only unused spot on the connector, which is identified by the shop manual as "Unused" and an X.
    7.) Test the switch.
    Photos:

Total time for this project is probably about an hour, not including actual installation of switch in the vehicle. I suspect the Coupe models with power windows can also take advantage of this feature, but I personally haven't looked into that.
    Last edited by '89AccordLX(Rus); 07-17-2006 at 07:38 PM.
    3axap.
    ------------------------------------------------

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA

Re: HOW-TO: Enabling Auto-Up feature

Last Images:

Last edited by '89AccordLX(Rus); 07-17-2006 at 07:39 PM.
    3axap.

Vehicle
    89 accord lxi

nice how-to! if you want i can post a pic of the '87 switch.
    Originally Posted by Justanothermike
    my A20 is not SLOW. ur A20 is slow.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

do your cars already have the auto-down feture? or do you gotta make that yourself? i find the auto up and down feture good on my car coz it always slips on its way up so i can help it up without getting sum1 2 hold the switch

it's only a matter of time before this gets put into the how-to section

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA

Quote Originally Posted by Strugglebucket
    nice how-to! if you want i can post a pic of the '87 switch.
    A pic of the white cover switch would definitely be a nice addition to this.
    3axap.

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA

Quote Originally Posted by Overdosed A18A
    do your cars already have the auto-down feture? or do you gotta make that yourself? i find the auto up and down feture good on my car coz it always slips on its way up so i can help it up without getting sum1 2 hold the switch

it's only a matter of time before this gets put into the how-to section
    All 3G Accords with power windows have the Auto-Down feature for the driver's door.
    3axap.

Vehicle
    89 accord lxi

here is a picture of what the 86-87 switch looks like. note that the extra contact is already present.

oh, my wife wants credit for taking the "extremely difficult" picture.
    Originally Posted by Justanothermike
    my A20 is not SLOW. ur A20 is slow.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord SEi

I got my switch and module at junk today. When I got to the shop I found I too have the White bottom switch in my 89 SEi. My dumb ass left my soldering iron at home so this will have to wait untill I get back from Vegas next week. I looked at the pass door and I noticed the motor only has two wires so to work I think we have to use a drivers window motor for each auto window we want because the drivers motor has four wires. Im guessing the extra two are for telling the mod when the motor has stopped. I do auto glass for a living and with out looking Id guess the motor is riveted to the regulator and they should be identical to each other so the driver motor should fit the pass regulator. I also think that you can only have one switch for each window because of how its wired. I will try to wire two switches in parrellel and see if it works though. If not I will have to move the switches to the center console so the driver and passenger can both opperate the pass window. Any way Im off to Vegas for a week with A/C and no more CEL. Thanks 3Geez
    Last edited by dillirk; 07-18-2006 at 07:37 PM.

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA

Quote Originally Posted by dillirk
    I got my switch and module at junk today. When I got to the shop I found I too have the White bottom switch in my 89 SEi. My dumb ass left my soldering iron at home so this will have to wait untill I get back from Vegas next week. I looked at the pass door and I noticed the motor only has two wires so to work I think we have to use a drivers window motor for each auto window we want because the drivers motor has four wires. Im guessing the extra two are for telling the mod when the motor has stopped. I do auto glass for a living and with out looking Id guess the motor is riveted to the regulator and they should be identical to each other so the driver motor should fit the pass regulator. I also think that you can only have one switch for each window because of how its wired. I will try to wire two switches in parrellel and see if it works though. If not I will have to move the switches to the center console so the driver and passenger can both opperate the pass window.
    I've taken the motor off of the driver's window regulator before, so its possible. I didn't go into detail concerning wiring up Auto-Up and Auto-Down on the other windows since I personally haven't done it yet. I think you are correct in saying that you'd need the driver's door motor. Also, the control box needs to be mounted in the passenger door too since it has the circuitry for the auto features. Then you can just run two wires from the driver's door. You may even be able to adapt the 4-position driver's door switch for the passenger door, so the passenger can utilize the auto features. Maybe I'll do that when I get some spare time off from work and school.
    3axap.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Quote Originally Posted by '89AccordLX(Rus)
    I've taken the motor off of the driver's window regulator before, so its possible. I didn't go into detail concerning wiring up Auto-Up and Auto-Down on the other windows since I personally haven't done it yet. I think you are correct in saying that you'd need the driver's door motor. Also, the control box needs to be mounted in the passenger door too since it has the circuitry for the auto features. Then you can just run two wires from the driver's door. You may even be able to adapt the 4-position driver's door switch for the passenger door, so the passenger can utilize the auto features. Maybe I'll do that when I get some spare time off from work and school.
    il bet a JDM motor would work since its on the left hand side...nice write up im going to get a switch next time it go to the JY

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

so how much for u to make me a set for all 4 windows for 2 cars auto up and auto down

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA

Quote Originally Posted by ghettogeddy
    so how much for u to make me a set for all 4 windows for 2 cars auto up and auto down
    It's questionable whether or not this will work on all four windows since I haven't even looked at the rear motors and regulators. "Monitored" motors may not even mount back there. The idea is pretty simple though. You need at least three extra four position switches for the driver's control panel. Three more if you want each door to have its own switch (again, not sure here, but theoretically, they should mount in place of regular switches). Then its a matter of running two signal wires to each individual control unit in each door (need to know which wire does what in the connector as only a few are going to be used). Sorry ghettogeddy, I don't think I have the time or the materials right now to piece together this setup even just for my 3G. Try doing it for just the front two windows first. If you can get that working (definitely possible), you will have enough know-how to get the rear windows setup too.
    3axap.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord SEi

the auto switch will screw rite in to the pass side. and yes one box one motor and one switch for each window maybe two switches so the driver and pass can both opperate.

I think I payed 5 for the switch and 10 for the box motor would cost 20 used but new I can get the motor and regulator for less than 140 through aftermarket sources... Tempting since mine are warn out and slow and I only need two.

I was also thinking of adding power to my Quarter windows using mini van motors.

So Many Mods... So Little Time

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA

Quarter windows? I'm guessing you have a coupe?
    3axap.

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

man and i was hoping i wouldent have to do any work i guess ill have to do this after i get my ac fixed caus eif i mess up and cant roll my windows down ill be scerwed

Vehicle
    89 Accord lx, 94 BMW 325i

Exclamation Auto up issue solved!

Ok, so here it is.... if you do the "auto up" feature and your switch checks out ok after your mod but it still doesn't work... Here's why:
    There are 2 different window controllers! I had a "united technologies" controller. On the 6 pin side, there are only 5! The one that's missing is the pin for Auto Up! What you need is a "Mitsuba" controller. They have all 6 pins and work perfectly. I checked a 2 door and it had the same controller as mine so either it's aftermarket replacement, or it's a hatch/2 dr. thing. Anyway, do the mod, check your switch and don't forget to CHECK YOUR CONTROLLER to make sure it has all 6 pins!
    P.S. Mods/admins please add this to the Auto up how to so no one else has this problem!

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord SEi

Re: Auto up issue solved!

Bump to get this moved to the How To Section

And yes I put auto up and down on my pass door too. Just need to run two wires from drivers door to pass door (I used 12 ga. speaker wire) add auto switch to both doors wired in parrellel with each other using those two wires and the three blue ones already there. Add mod box to pass door and mount a drivers side motor upside down on the pass regulator. OK its a bit of work But I've had it on for three months and I love it.
    Mods:
    CAI
    Teg Tranny
    Accel SS Coil/ Wires/ NGK plugs
    Auto up and down on both windows
    Drop springs and shocks
    2.5 inch cat and exhaust/ Cherry bomb turbo II muffler... yes it's LOUD!!!

Vehicle
    1989 LX Sedan, 1989 LX-i Sedan (Parts Car)

Someone needs to re-load the pics to the first thread. I'd like to try this while the car is apart.
    View my Image Gallery
    1989 Honda Accord LX
    2006 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    1996 Dodge Ram 1500
    2000 Dodge Ram 1500
    1996 Acura Integra GSR VTEC (GONE)

MY 3G UPDATE THREAD

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA

Quote Originally Posted by RamThis
    Someone needs to re-load the pics to the first thread. I'd like to try this while the car is apart.
    My webspace dumped again If someone would like to host these more permanently, I will gladly send them. The How-To links will need to be edited though, and I can't do that because its locked.
    3axap.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Quote Originally Posted by '89AccordLX(Rus)
    My webspace dumped again If someone would like to host these more permanently, I will gladly send them. The How-To links will need to be edited though, and I can't do that because its locked.
    just talk to a mod or admin...they have acess to the forum so they can host pics on here so they wont get deleted....

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA

Ok, pictures are back up, but the How-To seems to have disappeared from the How-To section. What did I miss here?
    3axap.

Vehicle
    1989 LX Sedan, 1989 LX-i Sedan (Parts Car)

Cool thanks for putting the pics back up. Looks pretty straightforward, and I have alot of extra switches from my donor car that I can use to try this out!
    View my Image Gallery
    1989 Honda Accord LX
    2006 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    1996 Dodge Ram 1500
    2000 Dodge Ram 1500
    1996 Acura Integra GSR VTEC (GONE)

MY 3G UPDATE THREAD

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA

Quote Originally Posted by RamThis
    Cool thanks for putting the pics back up. Looks pretty straightforward, and I have alot of extra switches from my donor car that I can use to try this out!

Since both of your cars are 89s, you'll need to use the drill method to install the extra contact. Considering that you car is stripped right now, how about running some wires to the passenger door and setting up auto-up there? You'd need to swap the passenger door window motor out for the driver's side spare (which would have the extra connections for a travel limiter) and install an extra control unit in the door. After that its just a matter of wiring the control unit and switch. A little extra project...let's hope it doesn't turn out big like the sunroof install :-p
    3axap.

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

Quote Originally Posted by dillirk View Post
    Bump to get this moved to the How To Section

And yes I put auto up and down on my pass door too. Just need to run two wires from drivers door to pass door (I used 12 ga. speaker wire) add auto switch to both doors wired in parrellel with each other using those two wires and the three blue ones already there. Add mod box to pass door and mount a drivers side motor upside down on the pass regulator. OK its a bit of work But I've had it on for three months and I love it.
    Ok, zombie thread revive here. Has anybody done this? How exactly do you mount the motor upside down? Wouldn't that mean up was down, and down was up?
    Last edited by Legend_master; 06-04-2012 at 07:02 PM.
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Legend_master View Post
    Ok, zombie thread revive here. Has anybody done this? How exactly do you mount the motor upside down? Wouldn't that mean up was down, and down was up?
    It's not so much the motor that you mount upside down, as the big magnet. And yes, it does reverse the polarity of the motor. Press up on the switch, and the window goes down. It's REALLY funny and EXTREMELY frustrating when you figure it out.
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced