Thread: Is my distributor good?

DX User

Is my distributor good?

I got a new car to toy with. Theres no distributor on the motor right now. But theres two in the car. How can I tell witch ones good? Any way to test them? or can I get some parts to rebuild one? I see thay go for over $200. to much for me..

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX

Re: Is my distributor good?

open the distributor cap and look inside. there shouldn't be any light brown dust. if there is, it is cooked.
    you can take it apart and clean it up. but as far as rebuilding, there are no kits for them.
    Alex.

DX User

cooked, as in no good? thay both have some brown dust in them....Theres no way to test them not installed?

DX User

I just took my old dizzy apart and found that the weights are really loose and that the two springs a way different from each other. And the middle shaft looks like it had grease in it and it got hot and spin out all over the inside wall of the dizzy and got hard too. Is this stuff normal. and this one had no brown dust. just a weird clicking noise...witch was the weights.

I will try to get pics if you like...

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXi Coupe, 07 Civic Si Coupe, 08 Civic hybrid

pics = goodness...

DX User

OK, I got some pics now....Sorry if there to big. I didn't wont to lose any detail. So I should just clean that stuff off and its all good? And how do I get that last shaft out? I got all but what you see, out. I didn't clean anythig that you see.

A- were it comes from it looks like

B- were its all dry and hard.

EDIT: The pics will be up in a bit...sorry
    Last edited by Some Guy; 10-30-2006 at 02:10 PM.

Vehicle

i had the same problem. I just cleaned mine and installed new springs.
    I used a kit for Chevy HEI advance curve kit. It is made my MR. Gasket. You can get them at any auto parts stores. I got mine from advance auto parts. They should have it in stock.
    the kit comes with 3 diff springs. black (light) silver (med) and gold (heavy). I used black and silver springs.
    To clean all that oil grease i used my wifes nail polish remover and q-tips. it worked great.

After i put all together and test drove it, i realized that springs were a little tight. I had to adjust the rod on vacuum advance. You can screw it in all the way to give extra vacuum advance for low end. It helped a lot on lower end but my top end is slow. I am still playing with it, but it works great.

You can also use two black springs to give you extra mechanical advance earlier in power band. This should give you a little more power at bottom end.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Quote Originally Posted by shepherd79
    i had the same problem. I just cleaned mine and installed new springs.
    I used a kit for Chevy HEI advance curve kit. It is made my MR. Gasket. You can get them at any auto parts stores. I got mine from advance auto parts. They should have it in stock.
    the kit comes with 3 diff springs. black (light) silver (med) and gold (heavy). I used black and silver springs.
    To clean all that oil grease i used my wifes nail polish remover and q-tips. it worked great.
    After i put all together and test drove it, i realized that springs were a little tight. I had to adjust the rod on vacuum advance. You can screw it in all the way to give extra vacuum advance for low end. It helped a lot on lower end but my top end is slow. I am still playing with it, but it works great.
    You can also use two black springs to give you extra mechanical advance earlier in power band. This should give you a little more power at bottom end.
    that sounds like sticky material...nice work...

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

DX User

OK, so the two black would be the most all round friendly then? I don't want to mess with it really. Just make this car run like it should. But low end is always a good thing. And how do I remove the rest of the parts you see in the casing? I cant get it out.

Vehicle

since you removed the screws for the lower part, just gently rock it out. It should come out.
    as for the main shaft, it is a lot harder to move. You don't need to remove it since there is nothing you need to replace it or clean it. The bearing is a sealed bearing. so unless you hear sound of sand when you turn the shaft, it is fine.
    Alex.

DX User

I cleaned up the dizzy and it looks good. So all that stuff I cleaned off the sides came out of the sealed bearing? That's not good is it? Can I just install the black advance springs without messing with anything else?

Vehicle

the staff you cleaned out used ot be on the shaft.
    You can use black springs, but you may still have to adjust the vacuum diaphram.
    Alex.

DX User

Did I get the correct curve kit? A is what I pulled out of the dizzy and B is from the curve kit. Should the first spring look all stretched out? It was just hanging on the posts.

Vehicle

you are correct. spring A for some reason is always stretched out. you can replace both of them with spring B (lighter spring).
    spring B is a lot softer spring compared to springs A.
    Alex.

DX User

thz for all your help with this.

My next question is about the "air gap" I think. The top piece that has the four points between the two posts. At times, they look like there touching. Can I set or change this?

Vehicle

it shouldn't be touching. the gap should be equal on both ends. If you have two filler gauges it will be walk in the park.
    Alex.

DX User

ya I got a filler. what should it be at and how do I change it?

Vehicle

the shop manual doesn't give exact numbers. you just have to go with your own feel.
    to adjust it, loosen 2 screws that hold the plate and it will slide.
    Alex.