Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Diamond Pistons Specs

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXi Coupe, 07 Civic Si Coupe, 08 Civic hybrid

Re: This May Be A Dumb Question... About Pistons

Yeah plus the valve clearance is totally different on the tops of those, thats for a 16 valve, where we have that one Huge exhuast valve

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX-i

Have you seen the top of your OEM pistons? They have a place for a fourth valve. The b18C1 has a stroke of 3.433 and the A20A3 has a 3.582 stroke. I really need the dimensions of a b18c1 piston

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

Quote Originally Posted by azazel_18_2
    Have you seen the top of your OEM pistons? They have a place for a fourth valve. The b18C1 has a stroke of 3.433 and the A20A3 has a 3.582 stroke. I really need the dimensions of a b18c1 piston

This is true, but I believe the valves are closer together on the b18 heads. This would lead to the valves tapping the pistons.
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

you mean the pistons tapping the valves ahaha hey i heard b16 pistons fit a b20a and up the compression lots is this correcT?

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX-i

I may just buy a cheap piston from Bumper to Bumper and compare it to my old A20A3 piston. I think they told me like $21. Worth a shot I guess.

Accord of the Year - 2006

send a piston in and ave them made. no hassles and you get exactly what you need fo the same price

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

my forged diamond pistons cost like $500 with rings. Thats about what it costs for good B series pistons, maybe slightly more.
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch

adam had pics of (way too small) stock b16 pistons in an a20. height SEEMED to be ok, but i dont think he ever put a head on the block and tested clearances.

if this is the case then we could possibly get package deals on pistons/rods. or maybe open up some more used aftermarket. either way it can't hurt.

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6

Quote Originally Posted by bobafett
    adam had pics of (way too small) stock b16 pistons in an a20. height SEEMED to be ok, but i dont think he ever put a head on the block and tested clearances.

if this is the case then we could possibly get package deals on pistons/rods. or maybe open up some more used aftermarket. either way it can't hurt.
    and he said the reason the pistons were too small was because he was test-fitting stock pistons in his bored block. in a stock block, they should work out better. and they were b18 pistons, if that makes any difference. here's the thread:
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52447

Vehicle

basically we could use any series pistons as long as the diameters were between 82.7mm (stock) and 84mm (.050" overbore)

assuming the height is ok, and there is not any valve interference.

SEi User

Your best bet would be to order them at 83 or 83.5mm with blank crowns and have the valve reliefs done at a machine shop and have only three put in instead of 4. The stock pistons valve reliefs are way off on both inlet and exhuast, also the depth of the dish looks bigger too so would lower the CR ratio. All that grief might as well have them custom made.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline

the quench area depends on the type of combustion chamber you have. not always corresponding to the number of valves per cylinder. (CORRECTED: The quench area i was talking about was for the Head, the valve relief should normally correspond to the number and placement of the exhaust and intake valves.) Stock overbore is set to 0.03 which lets u run a 82.99 mm piston, 83.00mm piston would be acceptable.
    Last edited by smufguy; 11-16-2006 at 08:47 AM.

so if im reading this right

get an a20 block punched to 84mm
    get a set of ls rods/blank flat top 84mm pistons
    take said pistons to a machine shop and have our valve reliefs cut in and it would work

right?

SEi User

Yes but not 84mm bore thats pushing it a little and you'd need a custom head gasket. Stick with the 83mm pistons and have the bores re done to suit the piston makers clearance specs. 83.5mm would be the absolute max you could have with a Felpro or Ajusa Head Gasket anything bigger looking at custom right Bobafet? what gasket did you use on your 84mm pistons? Oh also were looking at the LS 83mm pistons because they seem readily available from the manufacturer.

Vehicle

i used a custom cometic head gasket. cost wasn't bad. $65 shipped for a .050 (crushed) gasket. i just sent them a stock one and they sent the stock gasket and the copper gasket back to me.

was pretty simple really... but its trickier to get a copper gasket to seal. takes a little bit more effort, but it's doable.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by ZackieDarko
    so if im reading this right
    get an a20 block punched to 84mm
    get a set of ls rods/blank flat top 84mm pistons
    take said pistons to a machine shop and have our valve reliefs cut in and it would work
    right?
    84mm IS a bit extreme. i went with this (taking diamond racing's suggestions) in order to allow myself to use a really badass set of chrome steel rings. i could have gone 85 mm, but i didnt want to risk it, and the block had to have at least 83.5mm to get rid of the scarring that was there from before.

i would suggest not boring any more than you have to. order some custom pistons from diamond racing, and then buy a nice set of off the shelf LS rods. when you get the pistons made make sure they have 21mm wrist pin diameter, and you are set.

why get custom pistsons if you can just get your block bored out a smidge and use stock oem rods/blank top pistons with our valve refliefs cut in from an integra?

or do you think it really would be cheaper to drop $500 on 21mm wrist pin pistons?

Vehicle

what honda motor has pistons that will be between 82.7mm and 84mm?
    http://www.teirney.net/civic/B16AReference.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_B_engine#B20

dont know if these are accurate, but it shows them as significantly smaller bore than what we would need at a bare minimum.

what oem pistons are you looking at buying? if you are planning a boosted application more than likely oem pistons won't cut it, which is the reason to go aftermarket in the first place. unless u can find a stock 83-84mm honda piston, with the same pin height, and approriate ring location, which will generate a compression ratio you actually desire (we don't know the affect of a B series piston on our CR), i would seriously just suggest a custom piston setup. it will be cheaper in the longrun imho

B18 - 81.0 x 87.2mm
    B16 - 81.0mm x 77.4mm
    B20 - 84.0mm x 89mm

EDIT: so its possible that an oem size b20 piston will work assuming its other characteristics lend itself to boost.
    Last edited by bobafett; 02-25-2007 at 06:40 PM.

SEi User

You can't get oem pistons with a blank crown they ahve to be aftermarket but you can get JE and Wiseco pistons for B18 that are 83mm and with a quick word to the manufacturer should be able to supply with blank crown but technically would be a custom piston. It's easier for the manufacturer they can use the same pattern as what they have but just not bother machining the crown.

Vehicle
    1989 LXI Coupe Kswap, 1989 LXI Bswap

if i have time before our builds are started ill have my buddy measure his stock b18c pistons/rods in our blocks
    Style Quality Uniqueness And Design
    S.Q.U.A.D. Engineering
    www.squadengineering.com

http://www.facebook.com/squadengineering

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline

You have to use the same motor combo as in B18 rods+pistons or A20 rods+pistons. The reason is, sometimes the bearings are in the piston and sometimes they are in the rods and sometimes both. you dont want to mix and match because once you order your parts, you dont want to end up with parts where there is no bearings for either.

SEi User

If i remember correctly the ACL bearings are listed for B18, B16, B17, and ET, ET1, ET2, A18, A20 so they should all be the same. I'll try and double check next tiem i'm in my workshop.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Quote Originally Posted by rjudgey
    If i remember correctly the ACL bearings are listed for B18, B16, B17, and ET, ET1, ET2, A18, A20 so they should all be the same. I'll try and double check next tiem i'm in my workshop.

well we have a member that had A20 bearings...here is the link

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56757

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    86 hatch, and 93 maxima SE w /VE30DE

Re: A20A3 specs

does anyone know if b18c1 83mm je pistons would work with b18a/b rods on our blocks? the only thing that could mess this up is the compression height which the b18c is i think .010'' higher at 1.176 how bad could this screw up my plans??? btw the je part # is 242879
    CA5 for life

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Re: A20A3 specs

Quote Originally Posted by hondaman1986 View Post
    does anyone know if b18c1 83mm je pistons would work with b18a/b rods on our blocks? the only thing that could mess this up is the compression height which the b18c is i think .010'' higher at 1.176 how bad could this screw up my plans??? btw the je part # is 242879

i dont think any one had ran b-series pistons....and the pistons have to be from a b18a/non vtec engine. but the pistons and rods will fit our crank. only a machine shop would tell.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned