Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: dual carb conversion?

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Re: dual carb conversion?

thats great... at least I can see the 3bbl working now.
    - llia

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2
    boy am I loving this thread, and I am totally intrigued Tim by your creative think tank plus 'counterforming' foresight ability, also I will mention Im glad A20A1 chimed in there are so many motorhead unstoppable engineers in this threadm Vanilla Sky, Shep, all of yaas. Thanks for the links too, I was not aware of the 'japan webers' , and A20A1 that bike is you bro, raging bull, never saw a three barrel carb quite like that one either.
    OK regarding the dual carb setups, my 2 cents worth from working on corvairs and vw's is yes you need a set of very good vacuum guages Small aircraft tool specialty vendors is a good place to look. A lot of what your working with here is old school, remarkable shitzit Lost... The carbs, when you build them, ensure they are identacle as possible regarding specs and settings you can not get to once installed, attention to detail will really come into play. Porting &polish of the intake mani. under them will need to be presice as possible too I figure. I use to have a trio setup of vacuum guages to sych carbs with. Just like you expect with weber style carbs, you are constantly trying find the best of both worlds to get it tuned, thus having mulitlples haveing them be perfect matched sets really helps. LIving in Ga. will be a little headache since we get several months of extreme temp changes throughout one day, that trend is moving further south so know you have seen some 40+ degrees changes inside one 24 hour period.
    your really motivated dude, this is awesome R & D , and what year is the mg under the fallen barn? restorable mg and mg minis are hot right now, I would not mind running across some deal on one, esp a mini mg.
    the mg has been sitting under a colapased barn with no top for years,I'm sure it's destroyed. SU carbs are very easy to bring back from the dead. even if frozen in place. I'm trying to find one of the later sets from 87-88 yes they made them that long,I found an SU tuning book from a rare book search site,need to get that ordered. only one they had. the famous one like on the site. I think I'm going to send the carbs off to import carbs.com he said he can rebuild them,and get them pretty close. there is a wealth of info and parts available on the web about these carbs. these are the original import tuner carbs. it seems to be becoming popular with the datsun 510 guys now to use them on their cars also.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

a thing of beauty BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!
    from a datsun 510 sss

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

awesome.

It even has a balancing tube to get a more stable vacuum signal from behind the two carbs.

So you going to weld that to the stock manifold?
    - llia