Thread: HeadLights??

DX User

HeadLights??

Ok i just bought this 87 accord lx and i had been sittin down 4 a while and it needed an head gasket so got that fixed..But now im havin trouble with tha headlights they come up but they wont come on...so i went to auto
    zone got some new Lights tha same problem? ? I changed all tha fuses cuz all of em where blown... all the other lights work so could it be tha light Relay?? http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2493932

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: HeadLights??

If you have a 12volt tester try and see if the light sockets are live meaning the have 12v or more. All the fuses being blown not a good sign to start with. There;s no relay on the low beam side just the highs. Kinda dumb on hondas part.

There is a fuse box under the hood as well.

wp

DX User

i already changed tha ones under tha hood 2 i thought that was gonna fix it but didnt..tha dude i bought it from had an amp hooked up to tha fuse box i belive it must have short circuited cause under tha right tail light fuse tha panel is melted a little!!

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

have you checked the fuses under the sterring wheel to the left a bit. my high beam was blown and i just replaced the fuse and it worked.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

Wiring schematic & test light. Know how to test electrical by looking at it is the key.
    Last edited by 88Accord-DX; 11-03-2006 at 09:11 PM.

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

Old Blue, you said there is a relay for the high beams? I wasn't aware of that, at least on my '89 I don't think there's any relay in the headlight system except the one that controls the retracting motors. Am I wrong on this?

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Without the schematic in front of me Im gonna say yes. I do not know where the high beam one is of hand.

wp

im searching

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthrea...ination+switch
    Last edited by Oldblueaccord; 11-03-2006 at 09:25 PM.

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

I mentioned combination switch, but edited my post, good call.

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

At least in my '89, there is no relay for the high beams. I looked at the circuit diagram, and here is a quote from a nifty book I got on eBay, the "Honda Accord electrical troubleshooting manual 1989:"

High Beam Operation
    With the headlight switch in "Head" and the dimmer/passing switch in "high," voltage is applied through the headlight switch, the dimmer/passing switch, and fuses 8 and 9 to the "hi" filaments of the dual beam headlights. Voltage is also applied to the high beam indicator.

I had an unfortunate experience with the lack of a headlight relay. A couple of years ago, I upgraded my Hella/PIAA lights to a higher wattage. Because of problems with melting the connector on an Audi, I was careful to watch for signs of this. Everything seemed ok, so I relaxed. Unfortunately, within a couple of weeks my combo switch failed. It just wasn't designed for the 30% greater current. I pulled the bulbs and went back to stock wattage. If I was going higher again I would put a relay in both the high and low beam circuit.

DX User

yeah i changed tha fuses under the dash to still didnt work...But i was lookin it tha honda manual and it says there is a headlight high beam lighting relay under tha dash

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

I have an '89, so I don't know if things were different in '87. In my book, the only time that the high and low beams share circuitry is at fuse 19 under the hood (40amp), the white wire going to the dimmer switch, and inside the dimmer switch. If you changed out the 40a fuse (check to see if you have 12volts coming out of the fuse), my guess is that you've got a cooked headlight switch. When I cooked mine, either the lows or highs didn't work, I can't remember. Good luck.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

looking at the helms this morning I dont see any relays on the low or high beam side.

wp

DX User

in tha book i got it says head light high beam relay...but ima just take it to tha shop and see what they say...

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Which book might I ask? is it the green thick Chiltons manual?

wp

DX User

It tha haynes Maunual..got it from autozone