Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The winter beater

DX User

The winter beater

Hello, I just bought my first honda. Got it for $500 off my friend. Its an 88 accord LX with 175,xxx miles on it. Exterior was beat to hell, but the interior is almost mint. I put new upper control arms, a new carb and new struts all around. Very sweet ride for the winter, needs a spray paint job tho as all the panels are different colors after a junkyard visit. I'm thinking primer grey, but we'll see.

I'm using this to protect my Miata from the michigan salt. Its a 1993 Mariner blue, 5sp 1.6. Has a greddy turbo kit, greddy e-manage, koni sport yellows, hawk pads, powerslot rotors, braided lines, act clutch, roll bar and toyo T1-R's. This winter I'm working on the intercooler, exhaust and a good dyno tune.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lxi Coupe

Re: The winter beater

pics of both!!!

and welcome

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

i must warn you if you hang with us a bit too long you might want to fix it up....lol

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    86 Accord Lx-i

^ and you'll find out we like pics......A little to much......show us some skin...You know like that one night.....lol just kidding but welcome and I hope you aren't to scared of me now.

My 86 Accord Lx-i

Quote Originally Posted by Legend_Master
    Damn D-series propaganda. And BT stands for Better Torque, thats something you D-series guys wouldn't understand.

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Hatch (Sold),1989 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 88 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 89 LX-i Sedan (RIP)

And Ummmm watch out for some of these guys....
    BE AFRAID, BE REALLY REALLY AFRAID
    j/k......

Vehicle
    72 145s my dad has the million k 87 lx

the bug will bight ya just as it has biten many other 3geez members.
    injoy your ride for as long as its still kicking around

Vehicle
    1988 EX-i 4dr, 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 2006 TSX

Welcome... And cool to see a miata owner on here... I'm a big fan of those cars, and with a turbo, mmm that must be fun.

Be sure to post pics and enjoy your stay.

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord Lx ( cheeseburger mobile) 1989 honda accord Lx-i ole blue

welcome to the site maing! hope u like ur stay

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

Hi pic pic pic pic pic pic pic pic pic pic pic pic pic pic pic now thank you

edit:

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

DX User

Well thanks for the welcome. I just went out to get pictures of the beater, in all its ugly glory.
    Its "ugly" side. I could not find a single passenger fender in good shape.

Its "pretty" side. You can see the new panels, needs some paint. On the hood you can see where it was egged.

The engine, runs like a champ. Still has a leak dripping on the exhaust causing smoke, but I cant find it. Its in the back of the engine, I fixed the valve cover leak which did the same thing.

And now for my pride and joy. The miata. The center caps are now silver.

And the engine. This is the day I installed it. When I bought it, it had a supercharger. The airfilter is from the s/c and was too big to fit into the fender, so I had to drive for a week without a hood . Since this was taken I put in NGK blue wires, a K&N green airfilter, made a heatsheild for the turbo and installed the hood.

This winter I will add the intercooler for sure! Thanks for looking, If you want more pics I'll be glad to take em. I'm gonna be lazy and ask if anyone knows what color the accord is before I search for it. Its a dark blue, I need to order up some paint. Off to search it up...

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

the accord needs a lil help....nice miata

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lxi Coupe

daaaayum that looks insane for a miata

Vehicle

that car is not in all that bad of shape from what i can see other than the drivers door botem rust.. once it gets like that the door is fucked. and the fender
    nice find

be sure to show her some love and it will love you back it looks like your doing

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

weber swap

that miata is badass!!! you need to get an intercooler for that thing quick!! you should turbo the accord aswell. our engines love boost!!
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

DX User

I really do need an intercooler. I put the turbo in over labor day weekend, and I didn't get a chance to install one as the miata was my daily. It was never too warm out so I haven't had any heat problems, and now that fall is here it runs awsome.

The accord looks worse than it is. After I paint the panels should look like new! And the interior is in awsome shape. I highly doubt I will do any performance mods to the car. Its obviously not in the best of shape, and its an auto. I just want to make this a good reliable commuter. I'm still amazed at how well it runs, I drove it to work and to the g/f's house and not a single problem. Even tho its a bit rough, I love it.

Vehicle

any rust under the tail lights? rear wheel wells?

DX User

None around the tail lights. Drivers rear wheel is shot, passenger side is bubbling.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by miataspeed
    None around the tail lights. Drivers rear wheel is shot, passenger side is bubbling.
    pasinger side i would take a wire brush and clean it up and spray it with some zink oxide primer. the zonk oxide helps stop rust

drivers side pics plzzz

but no rust around the the tails WOW!
    Last edited by 1ajs; 11-10-2006 at 12:55 AM.

DX User

I will take pictures tommorow when there is daylight. I'm hoping to have some in progress painting ones as well.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda
    i must warn you if you hang with us a bit too long you might want to fix it up....lol
    falling on the floor laughing, reaching for prozac, oh Senior' MMessy
    you are such an enabler, pusher man
    \good one bro

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Mazda Miataman, nice car ......biting tongue cuz im nice, body kit that car is screaming for one of dose,,,,,,,
    odds are your oil leak is oil filter adapter gasket/o ring weird shaped o ring. many other things it could be but 90 percent odds thats it. but once you fix that another one comes, fix that one and clean out the pvc system ,entirely and you may not spring another leak somewhere else. excellant buy excellant beater, keep it that way, nothing better than a stock 3G , unless you go full turbo set up on it too, they do look really good lowered an inch or so, and nice wheels, and paint, they drive really better than most fwd cars of the same caliper.

DX User

I'm keeping the miata as a sleeper. Sitting there only 2 things give it away, the roll bar and the high performance tires.

As for the honda, I'm sure it is a really nice car to do up. Mine is a peice, and I think its a great car. Mine just isn't worth the money I'd spend making it fast. I already have my toy, this is just my rusty but trusty winter car.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

I'm keeping the miata as a sleeper. Sitting there only 2 things give it away, the roll bar and the high performance tires.
    As for the honda, I'm sure it is a really nice car to do up. Mine is a peice, and I think its a great car. Mine just isn't worth the money I'd spend making it fast. I already have my toy, this is just my rusty but trusty winter car.

that sounds like a plan...but if you stick with us....il bet you will want to drop a b20 in it...lol....that is wut i said when i got my car...its going to be a car that goes everyware....now that i knoe how much stuff you can do i fell in love with it....both my cars wil get 50/50 from me...even tho i like the lx-i since its a fun car....hope you like the miata...my uncle has worked at mazda for 14 years he says that some ppl put corvette engines in them. i wonder how they make them fit...but i guess every one has a project car and a beater car.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

DX User

Yeah they usually put ford 5.0 v-8's in it. There is a red one around here with a 5.0 with all the internal work and a paxton s/c. Its CRAZY fast. There is also one trying for a land speed record of some sort. Top speed on the first practice run was 189 mph, thats sweet.

If the accord's rear fenders were in better shape I might try and fix it up to look nicer. Sad fact is that they are pretty rotted. If it lasts another few years I might make her look pretty. I wont ever do performance mod's, miata has taught me a good lesson. Make it fast and it wants more attention and more money. So far the honda hasn't asked for much, I've spent a total of $730 on it. I hope it stays that way for many years to come.

Vehicle

Yeah they usually put ford 5.0 v-8's in it. There is a red one around here with a 5.0 with all the internal work and a paxton s/c. Its CRAZY fast. There is also one trying for a land speed record of some sort. Top speed on the first practice run was 189 mph, thats sweet.

If the accord's rear fenders were in better shape I might try and fix it up to look nicer. Sad fact is that they are pretty rotted. If it lasts another few years I might make her look pretty. I wont ever do performance mod's, miata has taught me a good lesson. Make it fast and it wants more attention and more money. So far the honda hasn't asked for much, I've spent a total of $730 on it. I hope it stays that way for many years to come.
    sounds like this accord just wants some love in its last few years and has found that person to give it the love