Thread: Antenna! Power v. Manual... How to?

SEi User
    Vehicle
    81 HB LX, 84 HB S, 89 LX-i Coupe

Antenna! Power v. Manual... How to?

I have the 84 3 door model. It, nor the 3 door LX, came with a power antenna. I don't believe it was an option/dealer added accessory, either. Well, the 83-85 four door LX and SE-i's had the power antenna. I'd like to hook mine up. The dash plug is there, so I would need a switch, a motor, and a mast. Can I get just the mast separately? I know I could on the 89 Accord lx-i. But Honda's parts picture looks like I have to buy the antenna assembly. It doesn't list a separate mast only for the LX sedan. I can get just the mast for the 3 door and four door DX. Could I use a manual mast on a power antenna setup? I think I can get a motor and a switch, but the mast is the trick. How hard is it to pull out the mast and reuse it (from a power setup)? Drop some 411 on me so I can start the parts hunt. Kinda pointless if I can't get the mast separately though. I would buy a new mast from Honda if they were like $40, but not over $100!!

Vehicle
    82 DX & 85 EX Accord Sedan Hondamatics

Re: Antenna! Power v. Manual... How to?

The mast pulls out the motor no bother. At least it did for me when I got a spare for my car some years ago off an Accord I broke up. Undo the 2 screws & pull the mast up & out & the plastic thing that feeds into the motor assembly will follow.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    81 HB LX, 84 HB S, 89 LX-i Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by denhonda
    The mast pulls out the motor no bother. At least it did for me when I got a spare for my car some years ago off an Accord I broke up. Undo the 2 screws & pull the mast up & out & the plastic thing that feeds into the motor assembly will follow.
    Yes, but could you reuse the antenna mast after you pulled it out? I think the mast has plastic teeth that wind around a gear inside the motor. That would be sweet if I could reuse the mast. I'm doubting a manual antenna has the teeth like the power mast would have.

Vehicle
    82 DX & 85 EX Accord Sedan Hondamatics

Quote Originally Posted by offthahook
    Yes, but could you reuse the antenna mast after you pulled it out?
    I believe you should be able too. I've never needed to replace my power aerial on the Honda but I've renewed power aerial masts on a Cavalier (UK model) & a Jag (not my car!) and they seemed to work by the same principle. Pull out old mast with plastic teeth & feed in new one. Make sure motor gear is in fully extended position when removing old aerial & when feeding in new mast motor should pull teeth & mast in.