Thread: Trans swap parts, auto to manual

Vehicle
    2010/Honda/Civic Si

Trans swap parts, auto to manual

Is this every thing I need for the swap?

Manual Transmission
    Manual transmission mount
    Shifter imitation leather boot
    Shift linkage
    Clutch cable
    Flywheel
    Driver’s side axle
    Clutch pedal, springs, and switch
    Brake pedal (manual ones are smaller)
    (Whole pedal box highly recommended)
    LX, LXi, and SEi came with cruise. pedals bolt to the brake booster
    Gauge cluster (is it needed?)
    Make sure you get a new clutch
    Clutch number is 22105-PH4-A01
    Get a new release bearing
    Resurface the flywheel

Is there a difference in transmissions of the fi and carb manuals? or are they the same? The trans will come from a junk yard along with the pedal box what else should I grab? Also where can I get the rest of the parts

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Re: Trans swap parts, auto to manual

the carbed car has taller (higher) gearing. the LXi trans will give you a higher engine speed at the same vehicle speed than the carbed trans.

Vehicle
    2010/Honda/Civic Si

I plan to turbo this car so which will be the better gearing? Still don't know where to get the other parts.

Steven

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

if you are going to spend a crap load of money save it and find your self a nice clean 3gee....maybe you will get lucky and find a se-i coupe or soemthing

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

you need a manual starter too and the bolts. An automatic starter will not work. For boost either transmission will work just fine. Ive ran both and i think there is only a few hundred rpm difference between them at the same mph, it wasnt that noticeable. I think somthing like a teg hybrid trans for boost is rediculously short gearing, too short for boost by far.
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    2010/Honda/Civic Si

Well I probly won't be doing the swap. My parents don't want me to turn this car into a project car and save up foor something newer. I still want to mod this car. I think I'll turbo it with the automatic. Sorry to bother yall
    Last edited by irondragon013; 11-12-2006 at 06:11 AM.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Quote Originally Posted by irondragon013
    Well I probly won't be doing the swap. My parents don't want me to turn this car into a project car and save up foor something newer. I still want to mod this car. I think I'll turbo it with the automatic. Sorry to bother yall
    lol the automatic cant even handle bolt on mods....yet alone a turbo...

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    2010/Honda/Civic Si

Thumbs up Re: Trans swap parts, auto to manual

Talked it over with my dad and came up with this plan. We will keep it running as is and replace the trans with an auto but get a lower mileage a20a3 engine and 5 speed. We will keep the car going until the second motor and trans is turboed and is assemed along with the other parts needed fo the switch. this seems best as I can work on the engine without the confines of the engine compartment. I will keep you updated on this project as it comes along. Also I'm leaving the exterior of the car alone except for some simple wheels and the muffler.

Steven

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX

i hape you have a plan for timming management for your new turbo engine. Stock accord management won't cut it. You have to convert to OBD1 or stand alone.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i

I think that you might not have enough automotive expierance to be thinking turbo at this time just by reading what you posted. If you are hesitataing about doing a 5-speed swap and arent sure what you need, where to get parts and things like that i wouldnt touch a custom turbo project, but thats up to you. You should look for a nice manual LX-i. You need to do a good amount of work to put in a F/I engine also, and even if you have the tranny connected to the engine you still need all the parts listed. The amount of money you will spend to do a manual and F/I swap will probably be in the $700-$800 range if you do all the work yourself, it will be cheaper to buy a LX-i 5-speed. My car had 100k on the auto transmission and i did a few bolt ons and it blew, it wont be able to handel a turbo at all or anything above a I/H/E.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

It aint nothing to it but to do it !
    everybody has to learn from their own experiences and mistakes along with advisment from others...
    I did my first swap in my parents driveway when they went on vacation. it was a F100 pickup inline six 3 on the tree, I put in a LTD 351 Windsor C4 automatic, I made mistakes, learned some. had bugs to work out but overall it was a succuess. Nobody told me much of how to do any of it except that it could be done. I was 19.

I have a question for the topic, and that is what about the pilot bushing, is there a need for one for the swap to manual? That was a good mention about the starter, the HOW TO thread fails to mention that.

I also have to still side with the endurance of these automatics, how do we know that all of you that spent the auto tx that you didnt abuse the heck out it and or had it out of adjustsment. Undoubtedly the manual will be stronger against abuse and raw HP racing. Nobody has ever documented an auto tx bulletproofing, or even an attempt on this forum.
    no flaming here, but hey it seems like an aweful lot of you are having major 5 speed and clutch problems as well....True any transmission is going to catch it when you try to dump HP down with sticky tires on a FWD car. You will break axles and trannys regardless.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

the only thing to beef up an automatic is adding a external cooler...i helped a member do it and all it took was like 2 hours...and the car ran smooth.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    94 accord DX coupe , 89 LX (R.I.P) , 89 LX-i Coupe (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda View Post
    the only thing to beef up an automatic is adding a external cooler...i helped a member do it and all it took was like 2 hours...and the car ran smooth.
    thats only a band aid.... with almost all bolt ons on a auto carb.. i was starting to get flywheel slip.. thats even wit ha nice hyden trans cooler.. they help alot.. but if you want speed... save yourself the hastle and go 5 speed

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

yeah...if you want to go fast the 5 speed would help...i cant wait to report back to you guys on my hybrid tranny

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned