Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: PROJECT: A20A to B18A Tranny Adapter Plate

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: PROJECT: A20A to B18A Tranny Adapter Plate

I redid your you tube. The picture hosting I dont have a good solution as of yet. Sorry.

EDIT:

Well for me I use Imageshack its 3.99 a month. I reuped and they cut you a deal on a whole year for 37$.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post
    I redid your you tube. The picture hosting I dont have a good solution as of yet. Sorry.

EDIT:

Well for me I use Imageshack its 3.99 a month. I reuped and they cut you a deal on a whole year for 37$.
    So tried after I seen you did it and now its not working at all lol
    everything is always harder then it needs to be over here lol

So here's the link and again idk why we cant just post links its hella dumb to have a mod do it for it to work
    A2B Swap update - YouTube

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by obd0driver View Post
    So I've tried it a couple time and its not working either tap talk or the site is cockblocking me same with the photos. I have a ton of them but even with the pro tap talk I can't ad half of them. I'll try on my desktop in and see what happens

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    /SHAZAM

I cant do anything on a phone either I almost always use a PC.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

/SHAZAM

I cant do anything on a phone either I almost always use a PC.
    I did it from my laptop it didn't work. I literally copied and pasted the embed link to the post and it was dead from the gate. At least with the web link it would allow you to go to the page if post the embed link it just shows as text

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

side note you can see when I post from the app/mobile it says sent from tap talk
    Thanks for the help tho

Vehicle
    88 LXi

No problem. Merry Christmas.

If you need me to re title something or move some links around just PM me. Ill do my best.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

No problem. Merry Christmas.

If you need me to re title something or move some links around just PM me. Ill do my best.
    Merry Christmas to you as well and definitely will hit next time.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Ok so it's letting me upload photos today so Merry Christmas. I'll start were I left off yesterday I was able to cut the alternator bracket to make the necessary room for the half staft mounting bracket.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Wow ok idk what give but here's more photos of things

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

There were after I cut the whole for the axle.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Before and after the holesaw. Also laid the plate with a hole on top of the piece of plexiglass that I had originally made next to the automatic bellhousing so you can see how different the whole is this is what leads me to believe that there would be a difference between the front wheel drive transmission axle placement and all-wheel drive. I'll have to fine a fwd transmission to compare for sure tho. Welp that's all the photos for now.

I'm assuming this area will be tied together?going back and looking at your mounts. That would be no.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    un-motivated!
    someone make me an offer i just could not say no to.

3GR

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Welp that's up for debate. However I'll point out that the mount you see in the photo is far from done as it literally has a single tac holding it because I'm waiting tell I have the axles and halfshaft plate in on and everything on the car to do and welding in place to make sure the angle is correct. Also not matter what happens the rear mount is every man for themselves as the rear mount wasn't part of the deal with Allen built. The agreement was for plates only so the mount really has nothing to do with the plate itself but more of a exploration of available options. I also have plans to work on making a mount based off my current mounts measurements and dimensions for the template after its welded all the way around but this also depends on final plate design because there may be no need. Also I'll be added the 4 mount of the trans as well which also isn't part of the plate arrangement.

If left open as it is now spacers and/or modifications to the rear mount would make this work for all b series transmissions. The catch would be the ½ spacers and welding to the rear mount. It would be a good thought to just make a rear mount all together if this route is chosen because I can see how you make my mount may be weak if driving crazy hard like your.

But if we have tha area added the plates would have to be specific to each trans as I'm sure the axle placement is different forms one to each other. This route would be easier for the mount as there would be not welding to stock mount but you would have to modify the holes to allow them to fit the larger bolts and the angle. This would be a lot stronger but still also have its probably under hard driving conditions but for most it should be fine.

And the third would could give others opinions as well and that would be to use the b series t bracket. The would require the most modified of them all as you would have to make the rear cross member mount and mostly likely modify the t bracket as well. Spacers would work because would once again allow for the plate to stay the way it is and keep it open for all b series transmissions. But if the part you have outlined is filled there is a possibility that you'll have to modify the mount both at the cross member and at the transmissions to fit. Also only two this would also eliminate 1 of the 4 bolts points where the stock mount would have all 4 of the bolts.

The only other thing I would consider about mounts is that there is still the passenger side transmissions mount which would only add strength and rigidity that wasn't it once there so as much as the rear mount may look or be weak there is the potential to have 4 mounts when the car only have 3. I would imagine that the mount in the Innovative kit could possibly be used in some fashion but I'm sure that much like everyone it will have to be modify and most likely need to be weld in place.

These are my thoughts and observations from what's I've gathered so far. I don't have a t bracket to play with to test that theory and I don't have a innovative passenger side to test that theory but if anyone has a lead on either side it my way and I'll explore them no problems. I was really work on k.i.s.s. thoughts progress. As always hit with your thoughts and insights

Something like this would cut out all the welding. The last picture was not the final plate.

un-motivated!

3GR

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Yes but as you and I have discussed before(in February screen shot for Allen's words not mine ) a mid plate isn't something he would run and from the looks of thing's neither design wouldn't work without modification to it. It would also increase the cost of the plate by at least double because of the add material therefore make the plate that much more unaffordable for everybody else making it less of a option.

Also it looks like a rear mount off the rear cross member would have to be made as well. I see lost of areas where your mid plate and the a2b plate would over lap so you could modified the a2b plate or your mid plate to make it work for your application but having your mid plate and the a2b as one isn't something I see happening. Plus let's face it you are the most capable person to make adjustments or changes to the end result no matter what the final plate is like. Cutting the plate in half then drilling new holes in the mid plate you have made for the b series transmissions shouldn't be as hard and it would be more cost effective than to make the plate itself that much bigger. My suggestion/solution would be to have him send you this plate prototype and you can hack it up more or at least keep the plate design as close to this as possible because it would be plenty easy to
    1: use the a2b plate for a template for the bottom half of the transmissions hole's to make the necessary changes to your mid plate.
    2: after the holes are drilled just cut plate in half and use the top part to mate the motor and transmissions together.

Only problem I see is the axle hole is different for each transmissions do you would have to cut your mid plate to accommodate for what ever transmissions axle placement. You also still have the ability to add a 4th mount with would help support the weight of thing's and help reduce the movement some which may help you in the grand scheme of things.

Yes but as you and I have discussed before(in February screen shot for Allen's words not mine ) a mid plate isn't something he would run and from the looks of thing's neither design wouldn't work without modification to it. It would also increase the cost of the plate by at least double because of the add material therefore make the plate that much more unaffordable for everybody else making it less of a option.

Also it looks like a rear mount off the rear cross member would have to be made as well. I see lost of areas where your mid plate and the a2b plate would over lap so you could modified the a2b plate or your mid plate to make it work for your application but having your mid plate and the a2b as one isn't something I see happening. Plus let's face it you are the most capable person to make adjustments or changes to the end result no matter what the final plate is like. Cutting the plate in half then drilling new holes in the mid plate you have made for the b series transmissions shouldn't be as hard and it would be more cost effective than to make the plate itself that much bigger. My suggestion/solution would be to have him send you this plate prototype and you can hack it up more or at least keep the plate design as close to this as possible because it would be plenty easy to
    1: use the a2b plate for a template for the bottom half of the transmissions hole's to make the necessary changes to your mid plate.
    2: after the holes are drilled just cut plate in half and use the top part to mate the motor and transmissions together.

Only problem I see is the axle hole is different for each transmissions do you would have to cut your mid plate to accommodate for what ever transmissions axle placement. You also still have the ability to add a 4th mount with would help support the weight of thing's and help reduce the movement some which may help you in the grand scheme of things.

The mid plate I built is for the a20 transmission. I could re-drill the plate for the b-series though.

Or I could just make a full a2b plate. Just need time to do it.

un-motivated!

3GR

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Welp shit happens people lag but better late then pregnant. Awd transmission delivered to Allen built on Friday. Had a short conversation with him about what else is needed on my side and he said he needs nothing else from me to make the adjustments and/or redesign the plate. So we wait. S/O tdurr for pulling the trigger on the trans for his a2b swap making this possible

Now that that's been said y'all better get your money right because this pretty much is a done deal. The a2b plate will be based off the AWD transmission. Just because is AWD doesn't mean you have to go awd. You can pull the transfer case and cap the space were it go's in and run it FWD. Doing so will be close to running a LS FWD trans. There some specific reasons why this was the final choice.

Cable shift link making it's easier to run then rod linkage. More space for larger 3in+ exhaust. You can also stuff the exhaust higher up giving you more ground clearance for those that want to be slammed.

The option for both AWD and FWD

Price of the AWD vs GSR/Type are transmission is cheaper. This will allow for people to spend money on other things like LSD, replacement shift Fork to have the ability to run front wheel drive gear sets in the awd transmission, And better gears sets like straight cut or dog box gears over stock gears. In the end you'll have a much better overall built trans vs a stock used trans.

And most importantly fitment. The awd transmission just flat out fits better without other modifications to the chassis. Compared to the FWD transmission the AWD fit like it was meant to be there. The FWD trans was laying on the torsion arm coming off the front crossmember. Meaning everyone would have get a traction bar to clear it vs being able to run what you got. Secondly the rear mount fitment is much better. Now that isn't to say that you can use the stock mount without modification but that the AWD trans lines up better so with modifications the stock mount can be made to work without completely redesigning the rear mount for the Fwd trans. These two things save money and make it easier for everyone. I will continue to work on a better mount but for those with a grinder, cut off wheel and a someone who welds you could make the mount for dollars at home.

After market parts are plentiful for the awd transmission just like the FWD and if you swap out the shift Fork all the same gear options are available for the awd transmission.

Now none of this means that the plate won't work for both but that awd will be a sure thing first. I will talk to Allen about making it work for both if it's possible on the same plate but I wanted to give guys this good news. I'm sure I left things out but yeah some progress

Welp shit happens people lag but better late then pregnant. Awd transmission delivered to Allen built on Friday. Had a short conversation with him about what else is needed on my side and he said he needs nothing else from me to make the adjustments and/or redesign the plate. So we wait. S/O tdurr for pulling the trigger on the trans for his a2b swap making this possible

Now that that's been said y'all better get your money right because this pretty much is a done deal. The a2b plate will be based off the AWD transmission. Just because is AWD doesn't mean you have to go awd. You can pull the transfer case and cap the space were it go's in and run it FWD. Doing so will be close to running a LS FWD trans. There some specific reasons why this was the final choice.

Cable shift link making it's easier to run then rod linkage. More space for larger 3in+ exhaust. You can also stuff the exhaust higher up giving you more ground clearance for those that want to be slammed.

The option for both AWD and FWD

Price of the AWD vs GSR/Type are transmission is cheaper. This will allow for people to spend money on other things like LSD, replacement shift Fork to have the ability to run front wheel drive gear sets in the awd transmission, And better gears sets like straight cut or dog box gears over stock gears. In the end you'll have a much better overall built trans vs a stock used trans.

And most importantly fitment. The awd transmission just flat out fits better without other modifications to the chassis. Compared to the FWD transmission the AWD fit like it was meant to be there. The FWD trans was laying on the torsion arm coming off the front crossmember. Meaning everyone would have get a traction bar to clear it vs being able to run what you got. Secondly the rear mount fitment is much better. Now that isn't to say that you can use the stock mount without modification but that the AWD trans lines up better so with modifications the stock mount can be made to work without completely redesigning the rear mount for the Fwd trans. These two things save money and make it easier for everyone. I will continue to work on a better mount but for those with a grinder, cut off wheel and a someone who welds you could make the mount for dollars at home.

After market parts are plentiful for the awd transmission just like the FWD and if you swap out the shift Fork all the same gear options are available for the awd transmission.

Now none of this means that the plate won't work for both but that awd will be a sure thing first. I will talk to Allen about making it work for both if it's possible on the same plate but I wanted to give guys this good news. I'm sure I left things out but yeah some progress

What's the time-line for completion?
    I'm ready to pick one up when they come available

un-motivated!

3GR

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Quote Originally Posted by 89T View Post
    What's the time-line for completion?
    I'm ready to pick one up when they come available

I'm gonna hold back the eta because I always end up putting me foot in my mouth when I do. But it's gonna sooner then later I'll get a better idea by the end of the week. Side if you already reached out to Allen with you email and contact information for the a2b plate and your name is on the list you will get contacted first. But from the previous discussion about this all plates will have to paid for before he runs any of them you as soon as I get the word or you guys are emailed don't lag on sending payment otherwise it will slow thing down more.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

He's the foot for mouth. Eta a few weeks

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Update from last week he has everything so the ball is really in his court.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Sounds like a job opportunity for you...learn CNC work.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Sounds like a job opportunity for you...learn CNC work.
    Yeah except for I don't have space for a CNC machine and he's on the other side of the map from me how many California he's in Virginia and that's what I paid him for sooooooo I wait

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Ah ok sorry I thought he was Socal like you.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

I'm in norcal lol ahahahaha Oakland ca not LA and there even a 6 hr drive from each other. But wish he was closer