Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: PROJECT: A20A to B18A Tranny Adapter Plate

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Re: PROJECT: A20A to B18A Tranny Adapter Plate

Soooooo this will shed light on what and how the clutch cable to hydro setup should be.

AWD BUILD 4: Custom Hasport Cable to Hydro Conversion - YouTube

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Hope your guy gets his act together soon.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Yeah he got big and better cnc mills and shit too so on the bright side of things he is able to make a the plate just bigger and all one piece. But that are making Billet blocks and Trans parts now as well. If you follow the ig page you can see that they are pretty busy.

Login • Instagram

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Side note on the Feb 28th he was looking for new employees

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Cable Hydro kits secured

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Welp knew the mount would fit not a big loss but the linkage works out nice and I sure I can cut this cable holder bracket to use it to weld to the new mount once I get that worked out.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Oh hi ok good bye

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

So it's been a minute since last up of the plate being ready. Here some the latest.

First there was a pick of miscommunication on my side about picking up or having the plate shipped out to me. Of part of that is that tdurr was in the working in the area needs to pick up his AWD transmission from Allen so he can have is space back but he's been lagging on that and once that's done the plate will be shipped out to me. We're working on that part.

A big advancement way made on the clutch cables bracket tho. Around the time tdurr went to the shop to meet Allen to make Arrangements to pick/shipped the trans I was able to meet up with my friend Dana aka youngstatic(on YT) at a meet in middle if July near my house. I asked about the clutch cable bracket that is meant for awd b series transmissions cable to hydro conversion kit. I think I posted a video from is yt channel. It shows his progress making one a couple years ago and he's been asked many times to make them of other people he said we was going to make a couple and one would have my name on it. Well this weekend he's going make good on his word and I'll be picking up my bracket on Sunday at the Northern California EF vs DA meet at the same spot by my place. So long story long that's where we're at with all things a2b related.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Welp I picked up the first of many clutch cable brackets that Dana will produce for the awd hydro conversion. Here some photos to compare the differences from what comes in the kit and what he make. As far as durability goes Dana drives a heavily modified(by himself) awd crx among other ef civic builds. The car has been dd for over 3 years with the bracket. He's running a twin disk clutch and he just took 3rd place in the 11.90 index at racewars over the weekend. So there's no doubt this will work and hold up to anything we can toss at it.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Ok so good news bad news. Bad news is that the prototype plate also needs to be clearance for the starter but it will be fixed on the final run already reached out to Allen and sent the measurements he asked for to make the changes required. Good news in next post.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Good news. Pulled the carpet out and cut the some of the sound mat off the firewall so that I could cut a hole to run the cable for the shifter. The basic concept here is the cables can trun and slightly bend but should be as straight as possible with in reason. The straighter the more smoothly the shifting will be. Other then that it's really up to you how and where to cut it. So I cut mine and I probably could have cut more towards the driver side but I wanted it in the flattest spot people to make easier to mount the shift cable grommet and plate I picked up. So here's the damage.

Here's the link to the plate grommet I got.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Billet-Fire...-127632-2357-0

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Welp had a chance over the last couple of days to work on getting the starter to fit so I able to put the cable bracket on. Use a holesaw and dermal to trim it tell it fit nicely. Bolted up the clutch cable bracket that Dana makes and put the stock accord cable on to test fitment. At the time of the photos I was waiting for my parts to show up so the angle of the cable was a bit off because I didn't have a shifter fork installed But the Parts showed up last night after I was in emt/firefighter night class. The photos from Dana's setup the correct angle of the cable so you guys can see how it works when 100% assembled.

I also fitted the shifter cable grommet mount. I will say a couple things for anyone that's gonna attempt this. First is that the cables don't bend much and shouldn't for that matter so the hole placement is important. If I could change things I would go just a bit higher up. But you want it to be on the flattest spot/surface you can put to help with laying the cable grommet mount flatland get the cables a straight shot so it fits in the grommet better. Now with the being said you could always cut the factory grommet off and flip to angle the cable though the grommet at a slanted angle if you choose and save yourself $15ish. But what is done is done and I can use either one so .

I also talked with tdurr and he's talking about making his way to Allen over the holiday weekend to pick up the parts so thing's are moving along nicely right now.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Ok here is the latest on all things a2b. I had some time to work on getting the shifter mounted. Basically used the stock shifter plate and drill holes in it and made the plate to bolt the shifter to the stock plate. So Basically everything bolt up securely and the shifter runs the grears properly just need to put the clutch fork on to fully test it. I'll probably cut a new plate without the center hole in it. Out of some flat plate but for now it's function is pretty good in his operational and that's good enough for me to move on to the next part.
    Side note I would post a video clip of the shifter working but have had time to cut the video together and upload it to yt so stand by I'll have something for you shortly.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Speaking of which I was able to meet with a member near me to pick up b series mount swap kit so I could see the placement of the trans mounts position compared to the the cable mount that it came with its pretty close but way out at the same time. So a mount would have to be made but here is a quick look at how close it was. So it was worth a shot I guess worst case scenario I can just t fully be swap my car if this fails miserably lol ahahahaha

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

So after some more thought and playing around I think I can make something work for a trans mount. A combination of the ef hydro conversion mount and the b series transmissions bracket and we get this close. Would have to cut the mount and drill a second hole for the second bolts on the trans but this is very close. The hydro mount for the Ef is two pieces made from the mount and the bottom plate its bolts to so there is a good possibility the a simple flat plate mounts can bee made to work the the post mounts part of the hydro mount.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

How does that B series starter bolt up. Our A series i think one bolt goes into the engine block, is it the same for the this setup?
    Last edited by conozo; 09-22-2021 at 05:37 PM.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

So the starter blots to the transmission not the block or a2b plate in anyway. The b series had and threaded mount area for the starter it's been a while since I looked at the a series but I'm sure that it's the same. The only real difference here is the location of the starter. It's now on the top in the front vs on the back or middle because of the awd transmission. Other then that nothing here really changes.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Update......
    Ok so I've lagged a bit but after selling off some parts I had laying around I've made the decision to just have the a2b plate and a awd transmission shipped from Allen to me. Once I get the plate I'll be able to test fits it for final dimensions and they will be ready to roll out. The plate I get will not have the starter hole cut in as it was something that I hadn't tested at the time of production but I've since cuts and cleared on the the prototype plate already. This has been brought to his attention and will be sorted out before the roll out to everyone that is planning on getting one. The plate and trans should be at my buddy's shop I'm the next couple weeks I'll keep you posted

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Quick update

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Welp I hit Allen up to see where the plate was and as he text me back I'm getting call from my buddy at his shop saying hey are you expecting a delivery today lol ahahahaha so the trans plate and block made it today. Now to take everything back out/test fit everything again/finish the rear mount and make the intermediate half shaft mount.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Ok so I'm a little slow to update here but the my homie Dana also faster then 99% of the people I've dealt with to date. Now that all gushing and love fest is over here is it a2b plate with intermediate half shaft mounted. At this point the only thing left swap everything out and test so the hard work.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Picked the parts back up tonight. Guess I got work to do.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Had some time today to test fitment the halfshaft mount plate in the car today after I went the jy and pulled a 3rd awd transmission shifter cable's halfshaft and start because you can never have to many spare parts.

So here's some photos of everything mounted up in the engine bay. I put a Alternator and ITM on as well to show the clearance of everything. You'll see that there is plenty of room for the plate and the halfshaft just have to get a set of axles to put in then but at this point is clear that they will fit without hitting anything. I'll me making a couple videos and posting them YT later for your viewing pleasure. But for now enjoy

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Almost forgot to mention that I got that I also was give a drive line so that should help figuring out how possible it would be to run awd.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Update video drops in the morning for those that want to see video footage
    https://youtu.be/fO0Lizd6dLs