Re: PROJECT: A20A to B18A Tranny Adapter Plate

Unboxing video I made

https://youtu.be/lm35JeqHJAY

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

****Bump update****01/05/2020

Well it been a week and a busy one at that. I was did some traveling to my inlaws and wasn't able to work on this tell Friday. But fast forward to 2020 and we have some success. Lots to cover so here we go(photos will follow full detailed video in the next weekish).

First things bolts finding them was a but harder then I thought. Fine thread metric bolts is impossible local and online they have little to no real information on length so ordered them and can be a chance at best. I called a bunch of place last Monday to chase down the flywheel bolts and not even arp could help the sent me to the company's that make there bolts and they didn't have what was needed. So once I got back home started the search locally and had about the same success. I reached out to allen and he was able provide me with part's numbers for OEM Hondas flywheel bolt at Both 40mm and 45mm
    Length.(I will provide the number once I have the bolts). I went to my local dealer where they were able to order me one of each to test fitment and that will happen Tomorrow and I will order the rest(7 out of 8) to be here next day couple days.

As far as the socket head bolts needed to mate the plate to the head nothing in the right length locally.
    but I found some(m10x60mm) that would require some trimming and re-threading of the shoulder. After that I should end up with a 4 m10x29mm 1.25 pitch socket head bolt to bolt the plate to the block and clear the transmission. But these definitely would need be ordered I just wanted some for testing before I bought something that's gonna be hard to return if they were incorrect. Also they dont make a 29mm long bolt.(this part still needs to be worked out 100%). But m10x30mm bolts are easily found online and trimming 1mm shouldn't be hard thing to do once I learn how to that is lol.

T-bracket/rear mount seem to fit the stock A series with a bit of modifications. First the bolt holes have to be stepped up to fit the larger bolts for the b series transmission. Next there may need to be a bit of cutting on the transmission of the bracket to clear then trans but that easy fix(not totally sure this will need to be done see next part) and the same with the bolt area where b series bolts go in due to the size of the heads on the bolts. So its trim of new bolt either way it's not hard.
    The second part of the t-bracket(rear mount) is there would need be a spacer to make up the difference between the mount and transmission. This shouldn't be a issue due to the fact that this is a test plate so the material can be left or added to the final version of the plates. Seeing how the axle hole has to be cut in the same general area the plate has to be redone not matter what.

I also but the starter in and it clears the plate so that's great news. Just need the flywheel wheel bolts to test engagement of the starter and flywheel so more to come here.

I also took some time to get my accord back on all fours and removed the engine for the most part. So the bay is not freeish to test fitment. Just gave bought a hoist that can hold all the weight because this setup is heavy af.

So I've let allen know of the changes that will need to be made and there are still something's that need to be worked out but progress is progress and I'll continue to plug away at it.

*update flywheel bolts*01/07/2020
    So 40mm bolts are gonna be the ones. The bolt can be trimmed a hair, the spacer can be made a hair thicker or a crush washers can be added. There are a couple work arounds for these so its really a non issue. Each will effect where the flywheel sits in relation to the starter so there's bit more investigation but nothing major.

So with that being said the part number is 90011-PGE-000 they cost $4.82 each $38.56 for the set. You can get then next day from the dealer in most cases. These came from a 03-07 accord so technically you could go to the jy and get a set because these are no stretch bolts and can be reused for those of you on a budget.

Heres a sample. The world's first look at a2b awd trans swap.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

So did a thing. Well kinda I was able to drop the A2B setup in today. There's some issues with space in the rear the trans hits the rear sub frame nothing a bit hammer can't fix and the trans sits on the radius arm from the front cross member. I would assume that this is a problem for AWD trans but not for the Fwd. So with that being said I will test a Fwd and go from there. Also the front and rear mount seem to line up with little to no problems. The drivers side will need to move but this is because of where the trans is hitting. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by obd0driver View Post
    So did a thing. Well kinda I was able to drop the A2B setup in today. There's some issues with space in the rear the trans hits the rear sub frame nothing a bit hammer can't fix and the trans sits on the radius arm from the front cross member. I would assume that this is a problem for AWD trans but not for the Fwd. So with that being said I will test a Fwd and go from there. Also the front and rear mount seem to line up with little to no problems. The drivers side will need to move but this is because of where the trans is hitting. Cheers

Good job

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
    un-motivated!
    someone make me an offer i just could not say no to.

3GR

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Here the latest.

https://youtu.be/PqeX0BnXStQ

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

So I'm still working out some of the rear mount things but for the most part the plates are ready for production.

If you are interested in buying a plate send Allen a email with your contact information so he can send out invoices and post your reply back from him below so I can add you to the list.

[email protected]

List of buyers:

Me(obd0driver)[paid]
    *Ethan(susanoo)*
    *Chris burger(cygnus x-1)*
    Jeremy Gallegos(89T)
    Tim Taylor (tdurr)
    Gabe Grossmann(knifemind on 3geez & prelude power)

* for those that have sent contact information for invoices to make payment.

Last edited by obd0driver; 03-23-2020 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Added a photo

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Hit us with an update when you can.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post
    Hit us with an update when you can.
    I've been looking for a reasonably priced 5 speed awd trans so I can make the mount rear more. I'll looking for a second rear mount so that's I can make both the awd and fwd ls hydro transmission. The reason I've decided to go with the awd trans it because the shift linkage would much easier to detect with and leave room to 3 in exhaust.

As far as the group buy we ended 2 (out of 5)more people to contact allen ready to buy before he'll run the plates. I've sent home the final details for the adjustments needed to the pate and he said that's it wouldn't take him more then a couple mines to do and he'll run the plates at that moment. So in other words the hang up is we need more commit people.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Once we get the last person to email him I'll reach out to for updated information

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Updated
    Awd drive transmission found and will ship out Monday. Reach out to Allen and will follow up Monday still looking for in one ready to buy person.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Someday, we're all going to have 3d printers and CNC machines in our garages. Then we'll simply post "Can someone please upload the files for the A2B adapter plate? I need to make one." Then we won't have to mess with group buys anymore. Won't that be nice?
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Someday, we're all going to have 3d printers and CNC machines in our garages. Then we'll simply post "Can someone please upload the files for the A2B adapter plate? I need to make one." Then we won't have to mess with group buys anymore. Won't that be nice?
    Yeah you have no Idea. I've been thinking about get a plasma table for my inlaws place for this reason. Lol

Last edited by obd0driver; 06-15-2020 at 09:31 PM.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Updated trans in on it's way.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Bump update
    Welp the trans showed up finally. Not 100% the way it should have been enough to move forward with test fitment.
    Good news is that nothing seems broken bad news is someone took the t case, clutch slave and fork. I have contacted the seller and he's trying to work out a solution. I have a spare tcase from my automatic transmission so it shouldn't be a problem to put that on for now.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Welp got so time to work on the accord. Good news is the 5speed awd trans fit even better then I expected. It clears the front tierods no problems. In photos 2 and 3 you can see the rear mount bolt holes and see how far off they are. But I'm able to get one of them in so I can mount the motor in the car for the fab work to be done.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...0&id=535772639

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Shifter photos I forgot to post

Last edited by obd0driver; 08-11-2020 at 07:14 PM.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

For the trans parts. Housing s separated from the rest of the transmission going to try to get over to my buddies to weld the rear mount together then ship the house over to Alan to finish the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by obd0driver View Post
    For the trans parts. Housing s separated from the rest of the transmission going to try to get over to my buddies to weld the rear mount together then ship the house over to Alan to finish the plate.

So whats the time frame on completion

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    un-motivated!
    someone make me an offer i just could not say no to.

3GR

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Quote Originally Posted by 89T View Post
    So whats the time frame on completion

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    Don't really have one tbh but if I had to put a timeline on it I'd say a month out. I mean allen makes it sound like it can done as soon as he gets the parts. "It should take 5 minutes" to make changes to the cad file. Also I don't have access to a fwd trans at the moment so that's gonna slow things down if your dead set on fwd trans. Now if awd if fine I could send this out this afternoon and in say 7-10 days we'd have something new to look at. That's shipping and the holiday taken into consideration and baring any mail/shipping delays. If I have to get fwd trans I'll have use the lexan to make a template for the rear mount because its different from the awd trans slowing things down more. That's where I'm at any input or suggestions

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Ok so it been a while since I posted here. So here in the later without the bs.

Made/modified the stock accord rear mount and my dd was stolen with it in. Get the mount back some time later. Test fit mount with tac weld modification. Fits like it was meant to be there. The mount modifications consist of cutting(top hole) and widening bottom the hole of the stock mount. Then I tack welded a piece of 1/2 inch steel plate that I had drilled the holes for the transmission to the modified rear mount. After final plate this with change in some fashion but it's also up for debate(feel free to give me some thoughts).

Oreder a 60mm holesaw bit then drill a hole in the plate for the half staft. Drill hole in plate grind it a bit do clearance fits like a glove.(this will be done on the final plate)

Half staft hits black box to oil pan hose. Delete black box replace with D series block plug fitting.
    GO-AUTOWORKS Block Plug Adaptor D16 D15 DOHC ZC

And then I cut off the neck off the oil pan. I'll weld it shut and all it a day. Next update will be to cut the 3rd hole off the alternator bracket to make room for some ⅛inch plate where I'll drill holes for 3 14mm wheel studs that will bolt the halfshaft to the mount plate. The mount plate will bolted to the alt mount and a couple other of the now freed up bolts hole location on the block suggested by Jason budd had previously mentioned above.

From there get crv axles to test fit axle. Then to move to the cables. Which I also have a plan for.
    Cut a hole in the firewall and use one of these k series shift cable grommet like this.
    Billet Firewall Shifter Cable Grommet for Civic Integra K-Series Swap K20 K24 | eBay

Last order of business would be send the plate back for final adjustments and then have Allen run the plates. So Merry Christmas and Happy New Years sometime after the first of the year I'll have a update on the plate roll out. At this point I'm gonna gonna say it best for people to get a awd transmission to do this. For those that would like fwd I would say pick this up SpeedFactory Racing FWD2AWD B-Series Gear Conversion Kit
    – SpeedFactoryRacing

Then you can run whatever b series gears you would like. As far as the transfer case you just pull it off and cap it.

Umm photos

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

So some reason tap talk is being weird and hella selective of the photos I can and can't post so they are gonna be random in order. If you want them in order see the fb link.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

The back of the block after removing the black box and cutting the oil pan tube off.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Cool Re: PROJECT: A20A to B18A Tranny Adapter Plate

And a video so you can hear my beautiful voice and get a better look at things.

Last edited by Oldblueaccord; 12-24-2020 at 10:33 AM.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Great Job!

EDIT: Can you imbed your youtube? the link is tripping the safety in the software.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post
    Great Job!

EDIT: Can you imbed your youtube? the link is tripping the safety in the software.
    So I've tried it a couple time and its not working either tap talk or the site is cockblocking me same with the photos. I have a ton of them but even with the pro tap talk I can't ad half of them. I'll try on my desktop in and see what happens