Re: PROJECT: A20A to B18A Tranny Adapter Plate

Surprise YT drop from the homie Dana.
    A bit of knowledge and insight on the halfshaft mount. Check it out

https://youtu.be/l9cbMmdSZUA

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Stamp of approval from Mr 9s a2b himself Jason budd. Well at least his wife that is. Must be doing something right because they never reply and I always keep him posted on my progress since he gave me the info

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Axles

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Had a bit of time to test fit the drivers side axle today. I had the option of two different lengths tested longer one first and it was about 1in maybe two too long. The second shorter one fit like it was meant to be. Oem integra axles ftw. Here is the photo of it Installed I'll work on the other side in coming days.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

So here's a back to the future post. This shot weeks ago when I posted the photos of the shifter mounted. I finally got around to editing the video footage so enjoy.

https://youtu.be/upX1CWBAXc0

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

I got axle 2 in yesterday so side of the rear mount needing to be remade to fit the new plate and notching the front mount most of the fab work is out of them way just a functional test drive is need after the last two mount parts are workedout. But for a test drive to happen I'll have to finish assembly of my boosted motor so if it's not one thing it's another with me. So tbc

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Finally got around to making and posting the latest video update so here you guys go.

https://youtu.be/k4F4YjfOiCw

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Okay, so quick update, so I was able to swap everything out and put it all back together and drop in the car. I had to modify the front mount just a bit to get that mount 100% bolted down but its in now. Drivers' side mount 100% bolts in nothing changed there. Rear mount the top two bolts, and one of the bottom bolts are in so that 3 out of 4 there, I'll call that 75% but even with just those 3 boltded up and rest of the mounts the motor doesn't move at all. If you recall, the rear mount is the one that needs heavy modifications and/or redesign. This I plan to work more on with Dana Prum in the near future.
    I've tested the shifter now that everything is bolt up and sitting in the bay correctly. The shifter is smooth, fuild, and responsive. The clutch cable bracket work and hydro to cable conversion kit work's great. The pedal is stiff from the exedy stage 1 clutch kit and flywheel but smooth and responsive like stock.

At this point, the only thing holding the a2b from being 100% is a test drive. The plate itself doesn't seem to need any other modifications outside of the starter holes cut during production, which will be done.

The test drive will happen as soon as I get my car together, which I've been working on all week. Here are some photos to hold you guys over. I'm editing a video and have one more video to make after.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Here is the latest on the A2B setup. Getting closer and closer

https://youtu.be/ap_qdaxrYps

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Well, I'm putting the final touches on the project. Here is the last thing needed. To make room for the intermediate half and the mount plate, the black box has to be deleted, and the oil returns neck needed to be cut off and then welded shut. Now, for me, this is a problem because I planned to delete the black box and run a catch can anyway as my build it's going boosted.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Man I have updated this in a while sorry about that definitely more on top of fb and yt but a lot has happened over the weekend and there will be a video to go with it all but for now the latest is that everything is in the car mounted bolted up and ready to go.
    mounts have been redesign/made and fitted/welded to the car so there is no going back, starter engagement has be tested and is functioning properly, shifter cables functional, Clutch cable to hydro conversion functional. But the car doesn't start so I'm not able to test drive it at this point. As mentioned before the car was taken to my friend Dana aka youngstatic on yt to have some work done related to a2b and my turbo setup so I could get ot dyno tuned. That did go as planned but all the a2b stuff was taken of. The car cranks but didn't start so no test drive yet. More on that in a yt video but for now here's the photos

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

I hope you get it running soon, its currently fwd though right?

What is left in the process of releasing the tranny adapter plate? Is it going to be released solely through your fabricator or are you going to be able to release a dxf file so anyone can make it if the send it in somewhere like sendcutsend?

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Quote Originally Posted by ShiRen View Post
    I hope you get it running soon, its currently fwd though right?

What is left in the process of releasing the tranny adapter plate? Is it going to be released solely through your fabricator or are you going to be able to release a dxf file so anyone can make it if the send it in somewhere like sendcutsend?
    Yeah its fwd right now. The awd stuff is gonna be a while as I'm gonna need to develop a lot of parts for the rear end. I'm sure I'll have get rid of the double wish bone rear suspension to make something work and a whole Lott more.

As far as the plates go. Allen built will produce them once I tell it's a go only thing stop that us a test drive. I want to be 100% it's gonna to work before I give him the word. But as far as the plate goes there's nothing really stopping them from getting ran as is

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

What about fwd trans compatibility? Starter is in a different location, so if anyone wants that should we just forgo the starter hole in the current design or leave it and cut a new one? I for one am wanting an S80/Y80/S4C trans and I want to keep the shift linkage. I think everything else looks good in terms of compatibility

Did you end up using a stock mount for the trans or what is that? I see the custom part you welded to the frame.

And mainly the steps to do the swap are:
    Add passenger side mount bracket to frame
    Modify rear mount
    Modify alternator bracket and sump drain for jackshaft
    Mount made for jack shaft
    Fit integra axles
    Shifter depends on awd or fwd
    fwd trans need a traction bar

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

So the video I'll post after this will clear things up about the side mount so check it out then we can go over that more in depth if need be. Dana just posted a video about my car and some to things I got going on to his yt today.

As far as fwd vs awd stuff is concerned I will make this as simple as I can and have stated before you can remain fwd with the awd transmission/case. You don't have to go awd to use the awd transmission case. If you would like to use a fwd gears stack you can put that in the awd case and remove the transfer case from the transmission and block off the hole. There is only one part you need to make this possible. It's the speed factory awd to fwd Shift Fork replacement. Every thing else with a2b would the same you just install the Fork can swap out the gear stack that simple. Need to redesign the plate or use different Shift linkage, cut new starter holes ect. I've mentioned this in past post (or at least I have on the fb thread).

As far as the list yeah you got it 90% right. The axels are gonna be thing that kinda of tricky but not really. The halfshaft side is dependent on the what halfshaft you run. If you have a teg you can run a teg axel if you have a crv you'll need a crv axle. Kinda straight forward. Passenger side would be a crv however you can fit a teg axel in a crv Transmission sooooooo technically speaking you could run either. For example I have crv Passenger side axel and the halfshaft is from a teg because at the time I didn't have a crv halfshaft to use so I have to use a teg drive side axel. But I can swap the halfshaft to a crv then use the just crv axels. However I would have to make new mount because the halfshaft mount holes are slightly different. Seeing how this is up the each person(maybe working with Dana to make mass produce them both) that's really up to you.

Other then that you got it spot on. I just would focus on the awd vs fwd transmission so much because there is a work around that make this setup usable either way its most fit of the bell housing and rear mount and clearance in the bay that make the awd case more useful in the long run. Even if you plan to fwd only if you later want to join the awd crowd you can and still keep you fwd gearing with a single part.

https://www.speedfactoryracing.net/c...conversion-kit

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

https://youtu.be/5Bp_IgCrM5A

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

So I got the car running today I even test rolled it 5 feet I'm 1st and 5 feet In reverse. Steps closer to a road test.
    https://instagram.com/stories/chia_p...d=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

And we have a test drive. A2b is fully functional. the car needs a tune so I wasn't able to really drive it drive it but here is one of a couple trips around my neighborhood. At this point there is nothing really left to say/do. It works this is proof of concept. I can most likely have Allen roll the plates out just have to let him know.

https://youtu.be/8jbKCQj3muM

Last edited by obd0driver; 06-16-2022 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Embeded video.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

Catching up on your post. Great work, quite a build going on there too.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Here's me mine post. This is really just a2b related and from here its really just gonna be updates on the plates rollout and those that do the swap themselves. Not much else to add well tell I make it awd but that's forward new topic post

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Two years later and still doing A2B stuff. Welp progress. Big s/o Seth Witte for helping me step my game up in a major way. Update coming soon.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Glad its moving along!
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post
    Glad its moving along!
    I mean really it's been done like it works and I drove my car with the setup but I just can't leave well enough alone. The files is just for shits and giggles not sure what's the plan after that.. most likely post it up for grabs but if anyone wants to make me assemble weld them together I'd be down for a fee. He's also making a shifter mount so that the shifter will be a bolt on process as well. So with any luck by years end the A2B plate will be an A2B transmission kit making the process more streamlined for the next person.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk