Thread: Strange motor issue. (also what motor is in it?)

DX User

Strange motor issue. (also what motor is in it?)

Well I made a post last night about my clutch... and I am here to start another one...

I have a 1986 accord hatch (base model)... The issue i'm having is that on some occasions (regardless of whether the engine is hot or cold, moreso when it's cold)... the engine idles at around 3 grand or so... it eventually goes down after driving for 5-6 minutes once it has started doing it (idle at 3kish)... or when I closed my door after the car started and I guess the little shake brought it right back down.. wich leads me to suspect something is just sticking, or a vaccume line is loose or something like that. Also, if the motor is at idleing at 3k if I go to shut it off the car diesles like a mofo for a little bit (too much fuel i guess)...

So ya that's the problem... I'm about to bring the accord into my nice warm garage and take a look at it (I guess i'll need to take the airbox(?) off eh?). and see if the throttle is sticking at all, of if it could be an issue with the float....

My question really is what type of motor is in my car (dont know much about 3g accords let alone a carbed motor) so I can get a proper diagram and pictures of the carb system.. .and also if anybody has any ideas as to what could be causing this to save me some headache that would be greatly appreciated.. I tried searching for a while and came up with a lot about a high idle, but i'm assuming it is for a warm idle at over 1k or so, not the issue i'm having with a strange idle of 3k on occasion....

Also, when the car ISN'T doing that 3k thing it idles cold at around 1250 and warm at 750 so i'm pretty dang sure it aint the idle adjustment!
    1988 Toyota Supra - Down for Winter
    |---------------------------------------------|
    1986 Honda Accord - Daily Driver

Vehicle
    72 145s my dad has the million k 87 lx

Re: Strange motor issue. (also what motor is in it?)

ok umm next time it does that pull on the gas petle slightly see if it drops if it does its posibly your cable or you need to spray some wd40 on the carb

also the search tool is your best friend

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

this happens to me sometimes, i just tap the gas and it goes down.
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)

DX User

no no gas tapping to bring it down... it stays that way while driving for over 15 minutes sometimes.... can't be good for my already pooched clutch :S... anywho... I took it apart and found the culprit, I dont know what it's called but it's the little plate that makes contact with the idle control screw beside the throttle linkage (actually... attatched to it really)... I have noticed that it stays away from the screw when it's reving at 3k but when it's running normally it's touching the idle adjustment screw....

So what controls this little plate? I can't move it by hand but it seems to move while the engine is running, so something must be controlling it...

To recap... The plate that touches the idle adjustment screw is away from the idle screw when revving at 3k and touching the screw when it's running normally, but I can't move it by hand to bring it back down
    1988 Toyota Supra - Down for Winter
    |---------------------------------------------|
    1986 Honda Accord - Daily Driver

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

If it's doing that when the engine is cold then thats the warm up sequence these carbs have. I dont recall mine revving to 3k.
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA

Quote Originally Posted by fotosoup
    no no gas tapping to bring it down... it stays that way while driving for over 15 minutes sometimes.... can't be good for my already pooched clutch :S... anywho... I took it apart and found the culprit, I dont know what it's called but it's the little plate that makes contact with the idle control screw beside the throttle linkage (actually... attatched to it really)... I have noticed that it stays away from the screw when it's reving at 3k but when it's running normally it's touching the idle adjustment screw....
    So what controls this little plate? I can't move it by hand but it seems to move while the engine is running, so something must be controlling it...
    To recap... The plate that touches the idle adjustment screw is away from the idle screw when revving at 3k and touching the screw when it's running normally, but I can't move it by hand to bring it back down
    The throttle stop before the idle screw because the warm-up system is engaged. There is a notched cam that prevents the throttle from closing all the way. The cam is operated by the bi-metal spring located under the big round cover on the side. If the spring isn't quick enough, you will experience exactly what you are describing. You may be able to readjust the cover by drilling out the rivets and rotating it to loosen up the spring slightly. Also, make sure you have a good connection in the wiring for the spring/heater and that you choke pull off (front passenger side of carb. Has two vacuum lines and an arm reaching back to the choke plate) are functioning.
    3axap.
    ------------------------------------------------