Thread: whats going on?

DX User

whats going on?

Ok I just have a quick question... I have a strange issue with my car sometimes idling at 3k-4k sometimes... and I can't for the life of me figure out the circumstances that cause it to do this... I can see the issue.. the throttle linkage is away from the idle stop screw.. but what I don't know is what controls the throttle linkage, because it cannot be moved by hand...

The little plate that gets pushed by the screw, when my car idles at 3k-4k the plate is AWAY from the screw, when it's running normal it's touching the screw... So what is pulling the little plate away from the screw? Because the rest of the throttle linkage (that is attatched to the throttle cable) is stationary and the throttle cable is slack.
    1988 Toyota Supra - Down for Winter
    |---------------------------------------------|
    1986 Honda Accord - Daily Driver

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Re: whats going on?

If vacuum drops the screw pushes, but at idle vacuum is high so the screw doesn't touch. Just depends how you set up the carb. I like to have the throttle stop as the lowest idle speed, then have the throttle controller bump up the idle a little.

If the car idles at 3 -4 K when cold that is normal.
    as long as it goes down to about 1K when the motor is warm you're okay.
    - llia

DX User

Re: whats going on?

hmm, see the screw doesnt push on it, the thing that gets pushed is too far away from it when it idles at 3k... when the car is running normally it does touch the little screw, but not because of the screw...

and sometimes it doesnt matter wether or not the car is hot or cold it will idle at 3k like it's stuck somehow... but when it's not doing that it idles at 1,250 cold and 750 warm....

i'm stumped.. also the issue with the car dieseling when i shut it off after it itdles at 3k... it's like somebody is stepping on the gas and flooding it... but it's inconsistant so i dunno!
    1988 Toyota Supra - Down for Winter
    |---------------------------------------------|
    1986 Honda Accord - Daily Driver