Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: The Journey 89 turbo'ed-----89T

SEi User
    Vehicle
    86 Accord LX -EFI OBD1 Turbo, 2006 Ram 1500

re: The Journey 89 turbo'ed-----89T

That will definitely ruin a day at the track. Can't wait to see what you do next.

Pgm-fi conversion 4-16-05
    OBD1 11-25-06
    Turbo 2-26-07
    Tuned with eCtune 239whp 237wtq

Vehicle
    1988 Hatch LXI

Woe Jerry this sucks man..........I hope you get everything fixed up. Let me know if i can help you out

Quote Originally Posted by EricW View Post
    That will definitely ruin a day at the track. Can't wait to see what you do next.
    dam i want to try a gt35r but that 62 -1 is capable of 72lbs a minute or around 1000 cfm... it will cost me around 250 - 350 bucks to rebuild. i guess that would be better than 1100-1300 for the gt35r.

I think the glass has got to go for safety sake. i am going to look into a carbon fiber filler or just sheet metal it. I'll leave the motors and all but do some sort of filler.

the engine probably needs to be pulled and replace the rod and main bearings and i might re-ring it as well.

another thing on the agenda is to go back to a Honda dizzy and go with a Neptune setup.

for some stupid Reason the car wouldn't idle unless it was fat on fuel(at the strip). I am also thinking of going with 65mm Honda TB vs the mustang 70mm TB .
    it just sucks that i couldn't get a full run in.

opinions are more than welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by bullard123 View Post
    Woe Jerry this sucks man..........I hope you get everything fixed up. Let me know if i can help you out
    i am just being hard on my self bro, i am getting tired of pulling the engine and pulling the tranny, but if i want to play i have to pay. Right.

its just more body work,paint and about $700 in other parts.

I'll let you know if i need a hand. thanks!

SIDE NOTE:
    The Phantom grip works like a dream!
    the car launched straight pulled straight and i have no complaints.
    i did an oil change before i went to the track and had no signs of metal shavings.

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Holy hell, that would of been pretty sketchy! Good luck with the repairs.
    Andrew.

My hatch build thread(started in winter of 07).

SEi User
    Vehicle
    86 Accord LX -EFI OBD1 Turbo, 2006 Ram 1500

Since your looking into Neptune you should also check out Ectune. I went over what neptune can do and ectune does all of the same things and is priced pretty much the same for the Pro version.

Pgm-fi conversion 4-16-05
    OBD1 11-25-06
    Turbo 2-26-07
    Tuned with eCtune 239whp 237wtq

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

Why would you switch back to a Honda dist from the EECIV? As I understand it EECIV is basically equivalent to EDIS?

C|

Quote Originally Posted by EricW View Post
    Since your looking into Neptune you should also check out Ectune. I went over what Neptune can do and ectune does all of the same things and is priced pretty much the same for the Pro version.
    i will sure look into it, but i can get a hell of a deal on the Neptune with dyno tunning.

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus x-1 View Post
    Why would you switch back to a Honda dist from the EECIV? As I understand it EECIV is basically equivalent to EDIS?

C|
    this is a pre 90 dist so it uses a tfi module to control a hall effect sensor.here is a link to kinda explain what i have.
    do you think it could be to be controlled by a Neptune or Ectune? i may do some more research.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...iagnostic.html
    Last edited by 89T; 10-28-2008 at 03:58 AM.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 89turbo'ed View Post
    i will sure look into it, but i can get a hell of a deal on the Neptune with dyno tunning.

this is a pre 90 dist so it uses a tfi module to control a hall effect sensor.here is a link to kinda explain what i have.
    do you think it could be to be controlled by a Neptune or Ectune? i may do some more research.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...iagnostic.html

Had to go back and read through the thread, but now I see what you have. EECIV is a distributor setup and I was thinking it was all electronic. I was confused on why you would be going back to a distributor after having no distributor. But I see that's not the case.

So since you mentioned Ectune and Neptune it sounds like you are thinking of going with OBD1 instead of the Holley Commander? Is OBD1 better in some way? I'm not familiar with either really. I'm running a Megasquirt with a Ford EDIS (distributorless) ignition. It uses a crank trigger instead of a cam trigger which in the end I think is more reliable. And since there is no distributor you don't have to deal with caps and rotors anymore. If the Holley supports it I would highly recommend an EDIS system. It won't be compatible with any Honda stuff though.

But if you do switch to OBD1, would you be interested in an adapter plate to fit an F22 dist. to the A20? I ask because we're working on a design over in the R&D section.

C|

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus x-1 View Post
    Had to go back and read through the thread, but now I see what you have. EECIV is a distributor setup and I was thinking it was all electronic. I was confused on why you would be going back to a distributor after having no distributor. But I see that's not the case.

So since you mentioned Ectune and Neptune it sounds like you are thinking of going with OBD1 instead of the Holley Commander? Is OBD1 better in some way? I'm not familiar with either really. I'm running a Megasquirt with a Ford EDIS (distributor less) ignition. It uses a crank trigger instead of a cam trigger which in the end I think is more reliable. And since there is no distributor you don't have to deal with caps and rotors anymore. If the Holley supports it I would highly recommend an EDIS system. It won't be compatible with any Honda stuff though.

But if you do switch to OBD1, would you be interested in an adapter plate to fit an F22 dist. to the A20? I ask because we're working on a design over in the R&D section.
    C|
    my commander is a bit out of date, and is in need of a re-flash.
    most of the Honda programs these days run boost by gear or 4 stages,anti-lag,2 step and a host of other options Holley does not offer.

the Holley does have 4 input/output sections i can configure for some of those options but not all.

the commander is sweet for it's usability and reliability but lacks the bells and whistles that Neptune RTP and Ectune include..

also i am having an issue with the idle, i have to run it dangerously rich at idle for it to stay idling. i tried to lean it, advance timing / retard timing
    and nothing it wants lots of fuel like 10:1 afr....

i know my problem may be elsewhere though. i just have to find it.

i have been lurking in the the adaptor plate thread and i have the f22 dist already, just waiting to see if it comes through or not.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

man that sucks...next time an accord makes that much power you need hood pins

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

lol it had hood pins... those stupid ass key lock type . maybe i'll use the slide lock type next.
    i got a new hood, glass, and a vent visor for 100 bucks the other day.I have to start sanding it down, and prep the car for paint again.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 89turbo'ed View Post
    also i am having an issue with the idle, i have to run it dangerously rich at idle for it to stay idling. i tried to lean it, advance timing / retard timing
    and nothing it wants lots of fuel like 10:1 afr....

i know my problem may be elsewhere though. i just have to find it.

i have been lurking in the the adaptor plate thread and i have the f22 dist already, just waiting to see if it comes through or not.

I've noticed mine likes to idle fairly rich too, 12-13:1. But 10:1 is extreme. Have you tried recalibrating the WBO2? They do drift sometimes.

C|

no sir i haven't in a while, but the black smoke coming from the exhaust is quite evident along with black plugs.their not fuel soaked but they are black.
    the turbo is taking a dump too so that may have helped with the dis-coloration.

well i got some work done today .the roof is pulled back into place and the glass is in. the hood has been sanded,cleaned, and the first coat is on in side and out.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

nice to hear its coming back together

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Just wow !I decided last night to go ahead and swap out center the section of my turbo with a new center section, and this is what i found when i removed the compressor housing.

I must have sucked up a rock or somthing at the track.

it's a travesty.. I had to put this on.

ooh well it is back on the road.
    un-motivated!
    someone make me an offer i just could not say no to.

3GR

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Where did all that junk end up? Engine or intercooler?
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

wow man. thats crazy..damn man thats sad...well she back on the road now. thats good to hear. hopefully that dont happen to me at the track. IM also gettting black plugs fucken sucks man but. im going to have to lean it out a little. i need to get obd1 fast as i can.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Quote Originally Posted by guyhatesmycar View Post
    Where did all that junk end up? Engine or intercooler?
    there were a few tiny shavings at the throttle body so sum of it ended up in the engine for sure.

i purged the intercooler with a shop vac , but i am unsure if anything came out. I was trying to get a good seal with my hands.

i am also getting a slight knock out of the bottem end. I figure i'll pull the pan and replace the bearings and check for shavings, i really dont feel like removing the engine again.
    un-motivated!

3GR

Quote Originally Posted by Rendon LX-i View Post
    wow man. thats crazy..damn man thats sad...well she back on the road now. thats good to hear. hopefully that dont happen to me at the track. IM also gettting black plugs fucken sucks man but. im going to have to lean it out a little. i need to get obd1 fast as i can.
    thanks for the kind words..you'v got to pay to play, i guess..lol

did you do the blue wire mod to check the afr?
    If you dont already have a wideband i'd get one before something goes wrong.
    un-motivated!

3GR

OK guy's sorry this is the last 89turbo'ed pic that will be posted in this thread.I am done with it the way she sits. There will be some changes made and possibly a full tear down and rebuild.

this thread was awesome even with a smart ass member which caused me to start to loose interest in the whole thing. you know who you are. lol!
    A to those who supported it. thanks. there Will be more to come.

bump this bitch every now and then to keep it alive for me.
    89turbo'ed.

By zues800
    un-motivated!

3GR

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

Just just looks HOTT. damn dude. you got 2step.....i really want one. idk if that 2 step module from msd would work on my mallory 6al. NICE DUDE. Whaty out of the game now or just a break? dont tell me..................

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

thanks, hmm... their both msd's though. 6btm and 2 step.
    i think its time to go back to honda management, head work and general cleaning up of the engine bay.possibly re-ringing the pistons and fresh bearings.
    i am sure you were thinking b18. no thats a long ways away if that would even happen. I think the hatch is getting the built b18a/T.
    Last edited by 89T; 03-14-2009 at 09:44 PM.
    un-motivated!

3GR