Page 1 of 49 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Journey 89 turbo'ed-----89T

Lightbulb The Journey 89 turbo'ed-----89T

what do you guy's think would be the best way to go stand alone?
    i have a holley commander950...
    4g dist.
    vacume to digital conversion from crane.
    hall effect pickup.
    magnetic pickup.
    so far the crane conversion has the best price, easier to install.
    let me know what you guy's think!
    Last edited by 89T; 02-24-2015 at 02:07 PM. Reason: tital change

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

Re: stand alone thoughts.

Hmm... i prolly woulda just gone OBD-1 honda instead of full standalone. So let me get this straight, you have a crane digital ignition right now and a holley commander 950? What is wrong with this setup and what are you trying to achieve... i honestly dont know much about it.
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

i already have the commander,from a previos turbo project whitch didn't need anything extra to control ignition timming.

i dont know much on the crank triggers either, but i need to convert over to digital or electronic controlled dist or trigger.

i am looking to find the best possible and most reliable way to control timming.

why would you go with obd-1 vs standalone? just currious.

my goal is probbably unreasonable so i wont answer that.

Vehicle

Price and driveability of going obd1 seems to be better than standalone, but with either youll get digital ignition with the distributor, but the most accurate ignitions are electronic distributorless crank trigger'd wasted spark type setups (with coilpacks instead of a distributor) which can be adapted to either setup i believe. Thats gonna take some time and money to setup. For me personally, obd1 with electronically controlled timing is more than adequate.

thank's for the info.
    Afriend of mine said there was a write up "coil on plug" on honda-tech but for the life of me i couldn't find it. More searching i guess.
    I would definately look at doing that.

I need to get a hand-full of other part's before i go standalone.
    no time like the present to start planning.

Vehicle

coil on plug is real good too but ive never seen an aftermarket conversion to run it either with a stand alone or a honda ecu. Most new hondas are coil on plug too.

this is what i found so far on a dis system.
    electromotive dis system http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/electro3a.htm
    and still nothing on coil on plug.

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord LX

one thought MEGASQUIRT
    Zeph Uusitalo
    Proof That Bike Carbs Work On An A20!
    Dyno'd the accord. It made 104HP 117TQ.... And blew smoke everywhere. I guess the 210K motor really is done

what about neptune?

j/k

i have a standalone.

i am looking for the best way to control timming.
    you know spark up a descussion.
    I know we are limmited on what we can do with our engines but I think there is more here not only for turbo guy's but the na guy's as well.

I was hopin someone would catch what i did with the link.
    i dont need something to control timming..
    i need the trigger.

"my goal is probbably unreasonable so i wont answer that."
    400 or #2 on the list. the list does need to be updated btw....

here i did it for you.:

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..

Quote Originally Posted by 89turbo'ed
    what about neptune?
    ..quite possibly what I'll end up with

SEi User
    Vehicle

what do you think, rtp vs s300?

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe
    Houston, Texas (Home of the Quicksilver project)

Why did you choose the Holley? Do you have any of this installed yet?
    "Feed their greed with your need for speed"

I have heard nothing but good things about neptune, with a good tuner you'r destined for good dyno numbers.

I went with holley becuase i got it fairly cheap. you know the money thing.
    as for triggers i haven't decided yet.

i still need injector's, intake manifold, throttle body, vaccumme block, wide band ect.
    before i install it.

Vehicle
    1987 honda accord lx

Even though Neptune is cheaper isn't it olso easier to tune than the AEM EMS. I'm still stuck on which is a good way to go for my turbo setup.

SEi User
    Vehicle

I don't understand..89turbo'ed, you want to have Separate controllers for fuel and ignition? And you're going to have intake air and coolant temp timing and fuel compensation with that? If not, all the 'accuracy' with a crank triggered system would be totally pointless. And what about knock control, closed loop fuel control, datalogging, etc, etc? I would adapt an obd-1 factory system, or get the aem ems, which still has to be adapted.
    So then its 'ostrich'+cromePRO vs hondata s300vs neptune rtp vs aem ems. All real time programmable, and probably all almost as good, I don't know. Aem is really expensive, but supposedly you can use cbr coil on plug ignition with that. There is a writeup on H-T about that.

dont let the price fool you...
    neptune is alote easier to tune than the AEM EMS, with more funtionability.
    shoot a pm over to Servion on honda-tech. He has tuned both and is a athurized dealer of neptune.

here are some of his work..
    http://www.serviontuning.com/tuned.php

look at the stock h22 #'s
    Last edited by 89T; 12-06-2005 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Accordtheory
    I don't understand..89turbo'ed, you want to have Separate controllers for fuel and ignition?
    no sir i just threw that one out there...

the commander will control timming with a trigger as well the fuel as you stated.
    it has data logging real time programming, the whole nine yards...
    i am fixin to send it in to get the pro software and wideband installed.

with the commander i can run closed loop, open loop, alpha-n, or speed density.
    I'll look for the thread on the cbr thanks.
    Last edited by 89T; 12-06-2005 at 01:17 PM.

Vehicle
    1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, 2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i, 1989 Sei(Project Honda SVX)

SDS.. is my friend...
    I haven't played with it to much.. But i know thats what i'm gonna use with my turbo set up...

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SEI Coupe, 08 Ford E-250

If you have money AEM is not a bad choice and they now have a functionaly OBD-0 available. I ran my turbo B20A with a OBD-1 AEM EMS and it was great for the most part. Just check around for competent tuners in your area cause i paid big bucks to have someone travel here to help me out. Im going to still aim for 350+ WHP cause a friend has a prelude B20A putting that down so i should be able to do that with ease consider the stuff i have once i get a new turbo.

If your on a budget neptune is said to be very good but remember its only as good as the tuner. Iv seen a lot of hackers so you might have a good system but a bad tuner will turn you away from any system if not done right. Good luck with your setup hopefully i can bring a better video next summer but for now im set on buying an 06 EVO MR for a daily driver and hopefully get the accord done cause iv dragged it out way to long granted the amount of money spent on it is a rediculous amount no matter how you look at it.

SEi User
    Vehicle

supposedly the neptune rtp can interface with your laptop wirelessly via bluetooth, qualifying it for pimp status in my book. I also don't like hondata just on principle, I don't like their support and I'm just a counter the status quo kind of guy. They were also behind the curve with their previous systems.

As far as tuning, personally, I would Never hire anyone to tune my car. Every Single time I have Ever hired Anyone to do Anything to my car, they have fucked it up. Seriously. Shit, I just paid Rywire for my b series conversion harness, and I had to redo about half of it to get the wires where they needed to be. To me, tuning is the final aspect to the educational process, once you have selected all of your components, built the engine, wiring, mounts, turbosystem, etc. Why do we do this, modify cars? (especially an old ass car like the 3g) To be express yourself, to learn, to compete, paying someone else and giving up an opportunity to learn just isn't the same.

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe
    Houston, Texas (Home of the Quicksilver project)

"To me, tuning is the final aspect to the educational process, once you have selected all of your components, built the engine, wiring, mounts, turbosystem, etc. Why do we do this, modify cars? (especially an old ass car like the 3g) To be express yourself, to learn, to compete, paying someone else and giving up an opportunity to learn just isn't the same."

LOL. Amen. I'm glad to see someone else who thinks the same.
    "Feed their greed with your need for speed"

LXi User

I agree with you AccordTheory but, the problem at least in the view that I see it is I personally don't have enough competence/confidence in myself to tune it and have it function and run correctly much less as best as it can. So I try to do everything I can but, when I come to something that I personally can't do I hire it done and try to arrange it to where I can come by and watch them work. I would love to learn how to tune a car but, I'm not sure how to. I know the "basic principles" but, I guess you could compare it to book smarts that you learn about a subject in college and then actually doing the job in the "real world". The book smarts might help you a little in your job but, you have to learn how it "really works" and that can contain some very very expensive lessons and if you don't have the money to counter the expenses you go out of buisness or lose your job.

Hopefully you can see the comparison I'm trying to draw. I just find it hard to get the "real world" experience needed to successfully tune your engine. Any guidence on that subject would be great but, for now that's my .02cents.
    For Sale:
    T3/T4 Turbo, wastegate, and BOV
    P75 ECU
    Untouched Head

Port & Polished, 5-angle valve job, bowl and swirl job, Head -$1000 invested in machining alone

Misc.
    DDR Pad and DDR Extreme
    PS1
    NES
    Needed:
    Dremel
    Money

I agree with what you'r saying, but I am smart enough to know that I am not very good at tunning an ecu. So instead of guessing what i am doing I can learn from someone who tunes it for a living. I am a mechanical type person I can build or make almost anything. When it comes to something as technical as tunning a ecu, I guess you can say that i am not comfertible doing something that i dont know alot about.

thats just me.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SEI Coupe, 08 Ford E-250

Quote Originally Posted by Robs89LXi
    "To me, tuning is the final aspect to the educational process, once you have selected all of your components, built the engine, wiring, mounts, turbosystem, etc. Why do we do this, modify cars? (especially an old ass car like the 3g) To be express yourself, to learn, to compete, paying someone else and giving up an opportunity to learn just isn't the same."
    LOL. Amen. I'm glad to see someone else who thinks the same.
    I agree and i got the best feeling this summer taking my car to the honda-tech show in CT and just hanging around my hometown at some shops. People do a tripple take and ask "what yeah is that accord" and they're like holly crap thats a sleeper. This is one reason i never settled for any car and i honestly love the accord style and layout its almost flawless in my eyes. Iv driven many cars and for some reason id still take the accord over many other cars. As for tuning i dont feel any where near competent enough to do what has been done to my car already. The thing is when it comes to tuning and an engine i spent $15k+ its not worth blowing it up over something stupid. Granted iv had plenty of issues thus far but none tuning related that im aware of.