Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad carb?

Re: Bad carb?

tonight im going to clean the carb again and fully clean it, then check out the recommended spark plugs and gap sizes tomorrow and probably take apart the distributor.

DX User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord EX 4dr automatic

Quote Originally Posted by ahmad89
    Ok now as some of you know, i have a problem that wont go away, my car shuts down after awhile of driving, the rpms would slowly drop while in gear but when i shift to neutral it would drop to 0 then i would have to start it up while rolling.
    Now could this be from a bad carb? i changed spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel filters, intake filter. its an 89 accord DX carbed (obviously) please i need advice on how to change the carb, what kind to get or let a professional change it please help.
    If you live in an area with a cold climate and it's damp and around the freezing temperature you may be icing up the carb. If freezing is a possibility then check heat stove pipe and make sure snorkle flapper is closing almost completely while the car is running. If freezing isn't a concern, check fuel filters. Good luck.

well i found out that my car has two carburetors thats all i know so far.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

i dont think so...it has a dual barrel design tho

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX

it is a single carburator with 2 barrel design.

You just proved it again that you know squad about cars. let the mechanic do the work.
    Alex.

Did i forget to post that my car is at a shop? well its been at the shop since yesterday and they're working on it and figuring out whats wrong. So yea shepherd i my dad told me that the mechanic said that it has two carbs and why are you trying to make me look stupid you act like you know everything about cars. if you really knew everything then you would know what my problem is, if not then stfu and give me useful advice and help.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

there is a chance that he has a prelude engine in the car. around here, i've seen LXi's in the junkyards with carbs, so why is it such a surprise to possibly have a prelude engine in his car? remember, those DID come dual carbed.

Vehicle

Did i forget to post that my car is at a shop? well its been at the shop since yesterday and they're working on it and figuring out whats wrong. So yea shepherd i my dad told me that the mechanic said that it has two carbs and why are you trying to make me look stupid you act like you know everything about cars. if you really knew everything then you would know what my problem is, if not then stfu and give me useful advice and help.
    you know what, the machanic you have doesn't know shit about 3G accord.
    US version of Accord never came with 2 carburators. It is 1 carburator, Keihin the brand, and has 2 barrels.
    I am not making you look stupid. i am trying for you to realize that fixing cars is not your thing.

PS. This is my second accord. My first one was carburated and I worked on it night and day. So don't tell me to shut up, our engines are very tricky. anything can set off avalanch of problems.

I tried to help you, but you are one big prick. So don't fucking even bother asking for help from me.
    Good luck with your car, i hope that mechanic knows how to fix hondas.
    Alex.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky
    there is a chance that he has a prelude engine in the car. around here, i've seen LXi's in the junkyards with carbs, so why is it such a surprise to possibly have a prelude engine in his car? remember, those DID come dual carbed.
    it is possible that he has prelude engine, which means he has A18 engine. 1.8L engine. they are even harder to figure out how all the vacuum plumbing works.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Quote Originally Posted by shepherd79
    it is possible that he has prelude engine, which means he has A18 engine. 1.8L engine. they are even harder to figure out how all the vacuum plumbing works.

he posted pics and the engine one looked like it had a kehin carb.....its just a 2 barrel desing...so only one opens but when you floor it the 2nd one opens to flow more air and power

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

lol "flip mode is the greatest!"

hey ahmad in my experience the best thing to do is find an auto junkyard that allows you to go in and remove your own parts. You will learn a lot doing this and if you mess up at least it is not your car.
    It will be easier to go to one of these and pull out another carburetor. Get the exchange warranty. Install it in place of yours and it should run very different if you had an issue. if the carb does not work then go back and yank another one. They're like $25. That is cheaper than a rebuild and there is less you can fk up. Try and get one from a car that hasn't sat catching rain in the engine, also crashed cars are better (that means they still ran when they were put to rest, unlike perfect cars, anything in the engine could be broken, especially the carb/emmissions stuff)
    The hardest part will be hooking up all the vacuum lines but you'll get the hang of it by the 2nd or 3rd time The stock lines have numbers. Replace anything with a crack or hole. Take pictures, download the shop manual from www.pauldesign.ru for vacuum lines, they have diagrams for the 1.8 (dual carb) and the 2.0 (single carb) engines
    Good luck.
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

your biggest prick in this forum shep, you shouldnt be bad mouthing me in the first place. I can think of atleast 10 people who should be a mod instead of you.
    Anyway back on subject, i will find out more when i hear from my dad or bro and i will keep yall up to date thankyou everyone.

ok i picked up my car today and i jsut have to keep it under 3k rpm and be easy on the gas and i have to put premium to clean it out and get an engine seal.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

ok i picked up my car today and i jsut have to keep it under 3k rpm and be easy on the gas and i have to put premium to clean it out and get an engine seal.

so the mechanic did not fix it?

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda
    so the mechanic did not fix it?
    The mechanic, according to what ahmad told me, said that when giving a lot of throttle, the carb gets clogged with dirt. My opinion on this, is that that shouldn't happen, fuel filters are there for that.
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)
    Quote Originally Posted by russiankid
    The mechanic, according to what ahmad told me, said that when giving a lot of throttle, the carb gets clogged with dirt. My opinion on this, is that that shouldn't happen, fuel filters are there for that.
    yeah even if you have low flow level dirt would go in and in high level also. i would check all the vac lines.

well the easy way is to spray carb cleaner on the vac lines that go to the carb and black box and if your idle changes that means a line has a leak...and replace it. also spray around the carb to see if you dont have leaks.
    Last edited by HostileJava; 01-11-2007 at 06:16 AM.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

problem is i dunno where the vac lines are

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

problem is i dunno where the vac lines are
    lol.... they are pretty much all those smalkl hoses

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

Sounds like maybe there is crud built up in the carb's float bowl. It's probably also varnished up as well. Some fuel system cleaner in the gas tank might help, or maybe some Seafoam. Best would probably be to rebuild the carb, but that's not a job for the inexperienced. And most shops probably wouldn't even touch a carburetor these days.
    Which seal needs to be replaced?

C|

i dunno but im goin to buy this sealant thing tonight or tomorrow.

where can i get my vacume lines tested and checked? or do i have to do it myself?
    Last edited by HostileJava; 01-11-2007 at 06:18 AM.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

yeah to test it out just spray some carb cleaner and see if the idle changes...

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

when i spray carb cleaner in the carb the idle drops for a second but i keep spraying it the engine would die.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

you spray the cleaner on the hoses, not into the carb.

i'm sure if you lived close to any of us, we'd show up at your place and help you out.

lol i wish yall did i live all the way in houston,tx the directions on the can says to spray it in the carb and then in some hose for throat cleaning.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

you're using the cleaner to detect vacuum leaks. the directions on the can are to clean the carb, not find leaks.

spray down your vacuum hoses with the carb cleaner. when the idle changes, you found the leak. replace that hose and check the rest of the lines.