Thread: Sway Bars

Vehicle
    89 Accord SE-i Coupe

Sway Bars

This is probaly a stupid question....

What is a sway bar?

Performance Modz: Short Ram Air Intake, Custom Exhaust w/o Cat & Resonator, Cherry Bomb Turbo Muffler, Accel Coil, Removed AC

Other Modz: Clear Blinkers, Purple Calipers, Accord Emblem On Dash, Winking Headlights

Vehicle
    89 Accord SE-i Coupe
    Performance Modz: Short Ram Air Intake, Custom Exhaust w/o Cat & Resonator, Cherry Bomb Turbo Muffler, Accel Coil, Removed AC

Other Modz: Clear Blinkers, Purple Calipers, Accord Emblem On Dash, Winking Headlights

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXI - sold, 1996 TL - sold, now I have a 2003 Acura CL Type S
    Helps with cornering, driving, and staying low to the ground. I have a strut bar and notice huge diff when driving.

Started with a 89 Accord LXI - 96 Acura TL - 2003 Acura CL Type S..

my other site, www.brandonlee.com!

Vehicle
    Previous: '89 Accord LXi hatch, '89 Accord LXi hatch, '86 Prelude Si
    a SWAY BAR (not strut tower bar) helps keep the car more level when cornering. It works by connecting both sides of the car's suspenion together with a bar that works as a torsion spring. When turning, one side of the car will go up and the other will go down. This difference in suspension positions twists the sway bar (it's working to keep the car more level). If the sides are doing the same thing (like a speed bump) then the sway bar does nothing since there is no difference between the position of the left and right suspension. All our cars came with a front sway bar, the FI models have a larger front bar (harder to twist) and a rear sway bar.

A strut tower bar reduces the amount the car's frame flexes at the strut mounts by connecting them with a brace above the engine (front), or in the trunk (rear).
    Mike

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Lx auto
    i have an lx and an extra front sway car. does any know how hard if possible would it be to make it fit on the rear?

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Lx auto
    oh and i believe the Se-i models came with bigger front and rear sway bars

Vehicle
    89 Accord SE-i Coupe
    cool, thanks alot

Vehicle
    88 Hybrid Accord LX-i
    Originally posted by tyne89
    oh and i believe the Se-i models came with bigger front and rear sway bars
    The Lx-i and Se-i have the same front and rear sway bars, they are the same thickness.

Fact is that the Lx-i and Se-i have thicker front sway bars than any model DX and LX. Yes you can install LX-i and Se-i sway bars (thicker) to an LX or DX model.

LX and DX do not come with rear sway bars. Rear Lx-i and Se-i sway bars will also fit DX and LX models as well.

Here's an old thread i posted about sway bars https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4362
    http://vtecnos.tripod.com

Member Since 7-9-01

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI HB 5-sp
    Originally posted by tyne89
    i have an lx and an extra front sway bar. does any know how hard if possible would it be to make it fit on the rear?
    Not possible, it's totally different. You have 3 options. 1. go to a junk yard and pull a rear sway bar, mounts, and links off a LXI (cheap and real easy to do, btw). 2. Purchase a rear sway bar from Suspension Techniques, it will be 1/8" thicker than a LXI rear bar. 3. go to a junk yard and pull a rear sway bar, mounts, bushing and links off a LXI and send it to sannerprefab and have them make you a 3/4" or 7/8" copy, it would cost $180. 3/4" is the same size as the addco rear bar that is not avaible at this time (or anytime soon for that matter). Each option will increase your rear roll stiffness, which will reduce your cars understeer or it's tendency to push around corners.
    H&R springs revalved Bilstein front struts, koni struts in the rear 195/55-15 Dunlop W-10's Dc Sports header custom cat-back with Dynomax super turbo w/3" Brembo slotted & dimpled rotor's EBC pads
    Well, that's what I used to have, wrecked, 7/3/02.

Now I d