Thread: JDM Dual Piston Brake Caliper Rebuild Info

2ndGenGuy

JDM Dual Piston Brake Caliper Rebuild Info

I figure these brakes make a good performance upgrade for your braking system, so this would be the place to post it...

I have been doing some research on getting my JDM dual piston calipers rebuilt. Since the rebuild kits aren't available in the USA, the best bet was to find some brakes from another Honda that had the same size pistons.

The Accord's calipers are both 40mm. Turns out that the NSX calipers have a 36mm and a 40mm piston in it. So today I went to the local Honda dealer to get a price on the seals and dust boots. Here's what I got:

1991-1992 NSX 40mm Boot P/N: 45215-SL0-023... $21.90
    1991-1992 NSX 40mm Seal P/N: 45218-SL0-023... $32.53

Yikes! Multiply that by 4 for each piston, and you end up with a $200 brake rebuild.

Been searching online at parts stores, and so far I can't find anybody that carries a full rebuild kit for the NSX. I will post the updated info if I can find any as soon as possible. Going to check into some Legends or any other Honda with dual piston calipers... Update coming soon.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Re: JDM Dual Piston Brake Caliper Rebuild Info

man that is alot of money....with that much i got sloted and dimpled front rotors and AEM pads

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

Awesome dude, I knew there had to have been another caliper that shared the same piston design. Check the 1995 GS Legend that was one of the only models that had the duel piston. There were a few other models, but I cant remember.
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

2ndGenGuy

Sweet man! Thanks for the info. You were the one who gave me this idea in the first place. Luckily some NSX forums had the parts list posted on their website... Still searching for a parts list for the Legend, and looking for cheaper NSX rebuild kits... I thought it was funny that the Accord has overall better front calipers than the 1st gen NSX. Can you imagine, Accord JDM calipers on NSX.

Maybe I'll hit the Honda dealer tomorrow and see if they can find me some Legend stuff. The nearest Acura dealer is a 30 minute drive.
    Last edited by 2ndGenGuy; 01-09-2007 at 04:40 PM.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy
    Sweet man! Thanks for the info. You were the one who gave me this idea in the first place. Luckily some NSX forums had the parts list posted on their website... Still searching for a parts list for the Legend, and looking for cheaper NSX rebuild kits... I thought it was funny that the Accord has overall better front calipers than the 1st gen NSX. Can you imagine, Accord JDM calipers on NSX.

Maybe I'll hit the Honda dealer tomorrow and see if they can find me some Legend stuff. The nearest Acura dealer is a 30 minute drive.

Check out acura-legend.com

2ndGenGuy

Yeah, been reading there all day!

Found this post that shows the Type II legend caliper pot sizes:

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ht=piston+size

According to that post the piston sizes are 38mm and 42mm.

That means rebuild kits for these will not work on the Accord JDM calipers.

Vehicle

Yeah, been reading there all day!

Found this post that shows the Type II legend caliper pot sizes:

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ht=piston+size

According to that post the piston sizes are 38mm and 42mm.

That means rebuild kits for these will not work on the Accord JDM calipers.

I read another quote that said 38/40 I asked in a thread and I will let you know when they respond.

2ndGenGuy

I know this is off topic, but don't you have Legend calipers and rotors on your car? Doesn't that mean that the next step up is the Legend dual-pot calipers for you? Or even the lighter, vented NSX calipers?

Vehicle

I know this is off topic, but don't you have Legend calipers and rotors on your car? Doesn't that mean that the next step up is the Legend dual-pot calipers for you? Or even the lighter, vented NSX calipers?

Well on the front I have legend rotors and Integra Type R calipers, but the legend calipers will bolt onto my brackets. The problem with the legend calipers is that you have to flip them left and right or use them upside down(then you would have to bench bleed them). The NSX will bolt on with no modification, but they are HELLA expensive. So my next upgrade will be a willwood kit or something along that line.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Pretty much yes. Any Type R brake up grade would work with the proper mods (same mods) as the original. That was the whole reason I dd mine was to open up the possibility of differant brake combos that could readily be bought. JIC i ever win the lottery and want a 3k$ brake system on my 500$ car.

I was looking at these yesterday.

http://fastbrakes.com/shop/index.php?cPath=28_103

wp

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord
    Pretty much yes. Any Type R brake up grade would work with the proper mods (same mods) as the original. That was the whole reason I dd mine was to open up the possibility of differant brake combos that could readily be bought. JIC i ever win the lottery and want a 3k$ brake system on my 500$ car.
    I was looking at these yesterday.
    http://fastbrakes.com/shop/index.php?cPath=28_103
    wp

i dont want to know how much i have spent on my breaks...but yeah...its alot and it stops soo good so i cant complain

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

2ndGenGuy

Well I've yet to see a response on acura-legend.com. I went ahead and registered there and bumped that thread. Also posted on another Honda forum... We'll see if I get a response, or if anybody on those other forums knows what other Hondas might have 2 piston calipers...

2ndGenGuy

Okay so the fact stands, the pistons are 38 and 42mm on the Type II legend. The responder on acura-legend.com posted a picture. So that idea is out. Guess it's either order them overseas from somebody, or do the NSX seals.

Funny thing though. I called CarQuest, they said that they will never carry NSX rebuild kits because the caliper housings are weak. Since they're weak nobody will carry the rebuild kits. I wonder if it's because they're aluminum or what the deal is... strange.
    Last edited by 2ndGenGuy; 01-12-2007 at 04:28 PM.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Okay so the fact stands, the pistons are 38 and 42mm on the Type II legend. The responder on acura-legend.com posted a picture. So that idea is out. Guess it's either order them overseas from somebody, or do the NSX seals.

Funny thing though. I called CarQuest, they said that they will never carry NSX rebuild kits because the caliper housings are weak. Since they're weak nobody will carry the rebuild kits. I wonder if it's because they're aluminum or what the deal is... strange.

man that sucks...NSX is a super car tho...they would not put in crap parts in a 90k car

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Hey john, when I ordered my rear knuckles for the 2g a couple of years ago, there was one in Canada (well, all of north america) and the other one was backordered from japan, it took almost 2 months to show up. If you talk to the honda dealer, they might be able to order you non-usdm parts, as they are coming from the same place as any parts on backorder. I know it's a long shot, but it might help. I was gonna suggest you try aftermarket, but I guess they don't carry anything along those lines.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

2ndGenGuy

Quote Originally Posted by guyhatesmycar
    Hey john, when I ordered my rear knuckles for the 2g a couple of years ago, there was one in Canada (well, all of north america) and the other one was backordered from japan, it took almost 2 months to show up. If you talk to the honda dealer, they might be able to order you non-usdm parts, as they are coming from the same place as any parts on backorder. I know it's a long shot, but it might help. I was gonna suggest you try aftermarket, but I guess they don't carry anything along those lines.

I did ask my Honda dealer. I'm in there often enough that they know me by name. Never have asked them for "JDM" parts before, but this time I did. Before I even finished my sentence he was shaking his head. For some reason the Canadian dealerships seem to be able to. It could be due to the lesser quantity of Hondas in Canada vs the US overall. That's my only guess...

2ndGenGuy

I may have come across some new info. I found that the rear 2g Prelude calipers are actually 40mm (I think actually 39.8mm or something really close). The problem is that they're made by Tokico, and not Nissin. I'm not sure if they'll have the same kind seals or not, but I'm going to order a rebuild kit for the 2g Prelude rear calipers, and see if they will work...