Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MODIFICATION, MANUAL TRANSMISSION ( TEG )

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI HB 5-sp
    Originally posted by A20A1
    Sounds like you had fun...

I didn't realize sticking your head out the window was against the law? heck I do it all the time...
    Some how I don't want to know why. :lol :lol
    H&R springs revalved Bilstein front struts, koni struts in the rear 195/55-15 Dunlop W-10's Dc Sports header custom cat-back with Dynomax super turbo w/3" Brembo slotted & dimpled rotor's EBC pads
    Well, that's what I used to have, wrecked, 7/3/02.

Now I d

Vehicle
    85 accord (2x DCOE) 88 Nova (4AGZE + msII) 98 Jetta TDI
    I didn't get any tickets, just pulled over. It just added insult to injury. I'm driving along cursing that I didn't put it back together right (I have a pretty good idea of what I think I did wrong now though) and I get pulled over twice. Fortunately not knowing how to rebuilt a tranny properly is not a crime.

andy

Vehicle
    Ok, I drove the car back to the shop and parked it. It's a pain with out 4th gear and I don't want to mess anything up driving it the way it is. It still grinds 3rd gear. I'm not sure if that could have anything to do with me not putting the thing back together right. I'm almost positive that I put the 4th gear collar on backwards. I might have to invest in a new 3rd gear set.

Anyway on to why this post is about. I decieded what the hell and I got on it a bit on my way back to the shop, there were no cops around this time. I didn't do any standing starts. From a roll in first gear it doesn't feel too much diferent. It felt like only one tire was spinning though. A hard shift into second got a good amount of wheel spin goin. At first it felt like both were going and the front started to slide, then if felt like one grabed and then other just a second later. It also felt a bit stronger in second. It still grinds third so I couldn't get a good solid abusive wheel spinning shift. Third is alot closer to second and I feel its just about where it should be. I didn't have to wait for it to get back up into the power band to start pulling. Soon as I let the clutch out it was pulled back into the seat, smileing the whole way. No 4th gear still . I would like to have the lude 5th back, I don't do that much highway driving though so I'm not really going to complain.

Once I was on the main road I happend to look over and saw a buddy of mine in his pos 6cyl camaro. I looked over, waved, dumped it in second, and mashed it. The wheels didn't break loose so the phantom grip must be doing something. It just hooked up and went, almost felt like I was in first on my old trans. Left him in the dust. A quick shift into 3rd and I was doing 60 in a 40 zone with him well behind me. On thing that I had always disliked about the car is the lack of pull it had in 3rd, thats rectified now, and I think it was worth it. That has me motivated to pull it back out and get it right. I sent a mail to Aasco to see if they will make me a flywheel. Hopefuly they still have the stuff out from doing jteuton's and can get it to me quick. If its less then a month then I might wait on the trans, if not then I'm going to probalby pull it back out this weekend.

andy
    Last edited by PhydeauX; 09-30-2002 at 01:07 PM.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXi
    So if everything goes smoothly with the flywheel and rearranging the guts again, when do you plan on posting the official how-to on this project? This sounds like an excellent mod that could easily help 1/4 mile times on the track.
    1988 Accord LXi Sedan
    Custom Cold Air Intake -- Custom Exhaust -- Neuspeed Springs -- ACT Stage II Clutch

Alpine 9815 -- MTX 2300X -- 2 JL 10W3V2's

SEi User
    Vehicle
    burgundy 86 honda accord/ brown 89 chevy caprice wagon
    if all else fails andy i ll be available on saturday to come up and help out.
    Want your A series to kick a B series engines ass?email me for detials or check out our site

WWW.ACCORDCENTRAL.COM

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXi
    Another question I had...what year trans did you use? Or does it matter. I know that the 86-87 Integra differ a bit from the 88-89 Integra (intake manifold, distributor, other crap) but not sure if they used the same trans for all 4 years.
    1988 Accord LXi Sedan
    Custom Cold Air Intake -- Custom Exhaust -- Neuspeed Springs -- ACT Stage II Clutch

Alpine 9815 -- MTX 2300X -- 2 JL 10W3V2's

SEi User
    Vehicle
    burgundy 86 honda accord/ brown 89 chevy caprice wagon
    86-89 teg. i do believe is what andy came up with. anything with a zc motor basicay.
    Want your A series to kick a B series engines ass?email me for detials or check out our site

WWW.ACCORDCENTRAL.COM

Vehicle
    I just looked in the parts catalog and they are diferent, but I don't know how much. A quick peek give them the same counter shaft and case, but a diferent main shaft. I'd bet that either one would work. Maybe there is some revision to the main shaft on the later modles. All the info that I've dug up on them points to all the zc integra tranines to have the same ratios. I don't know about the crx zc trans. I had some info on it but I've forgoten it. I believe that it had a 4.25 final drive as compaired to the tegs 4.20. I looked at so many web pages though that the info I though was irrevelant to what I was doing is just a blur.

The trans that I used is from an 87. I believe that it worked fine and my lack of 4th gear is just a minor mistake in assembly. I have a replacement for the wrong bearing that came in the kit on order, it should be in friday. I haven't heard back from aasco about them making me a flywheel yet so I'll problaby do the trans this weekend.

andy
    Last edited by PhydeauX; 10-02-2002 at 06:49 PM.

Vehicle
    68rs camaro, 89 formula 350
    I have a prelude trans that the 5th gear is gone, I mean you can sit at a red light in 5th with the cluth out and it is like you are in N! any Ideas on how bad this could be. I havent taken it apart yet. no grinding though.

Vehicle
    Its a common problem with the accord and prelude transmissions. I've never taken one apart and looked at it, but if you fill it with the teg guts then it will solve the problem . I believe that the problem is usualy caused by the splines wearing out, but I'm not sure.

andy

Vehicle
    68rs camaro, 89 formula 350
    im on the interstate alot, and I like my top end, would it be possible to use the teg gears up to 4th and then use the 5th from the prelude or would that be to much of a jump?

Vehicle
    Yes and no. The teg's 5th gear is thicker then the prelude's so things won't line up. You can shim it to make it fit though. I wanted to keep the prelude 5th as well, but I don't have any suitable shims. The drop won't be too much of a problem. You'll have to run it up a bit higher in 4th but thats about it. It'll feel kinda like going from 3rd to 5th, thouhg not quite that far. The teg in 5th tachs almost 3,000rpm at 60mph.

andy