Thread: Misfire

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*

Misfire

ok, so a while back, it had a little misfire out of nowhere. it only did it once for a long time. now its started doing it consistantly. hopefully its just something to do with the ingnition. maybe like the cap, rotor, wires or plugs. i was thinking that it could be. i have put a bunch of miles on those parts over a few years, not so much the plugs which have been changed out more frequently. anyways, looks like it has a good vacuum reading, so i dont think i have a low cylinder. but that is still possible. anyways, if i dont figure it out, leave me some suggestions. valve and ignition timing are correct. it kinda sounds like what my friends 302 was doing. but it was because of a crossed wire. my wires arent that great, one's boot is cut and may be causeing spark to jump. well, i'll be inspecting those parts tomorrow. probably will use a volt meter to check the resistance in the differnt parts. i dont have a problem replacing anything i've thought of. hopefully something easy. i was thinking if i dont find anything wrong, i might want to do a compression test.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX

Re: Misfire

geez man, replace the wires, cap and rotor immediately. make sure your distributor isn't advanced too far. too much advance can cause backfire.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

I think you pretty much answered your own question. Post anything new after you checked all that, in case that aint it.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

been pushing that a20 to the limit huh?

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*

^ some what. i dont know if racing it fried those plugs or if rich running cold starts did it. but it looked like they have been in there a while. the V channel in the electrode was rounded down on all the plugs and after starting it collected a lot of carbon deposit on the cold start when i moved the car. i ended up replacing the plugs and wires. but i have a set of bosch wires on order. i got some alright ones for now. so now i have a back up set for later on. also found a vacuum line not capped. i think maybe that was causing some problems. still kinda runs funny but maybe i'm paying too close attention to it. feels more responsive through the revs though, so thats good. i think i'm going to get a new cap and rotor tomorrow if i get around to it. i may wait on that till the other wires come in.

Vehicle

well looks like those plugs and wires did the trick for the power loss and misfireing. i honestly cant remember the last time i had changed those plugs. over a year ago i know, maybe a year and a half. and i have the miles put on them too. i really should get my manual choke working, thats what i need to not run so rich on start up.