Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2g Koni / Eibach Install

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Re: 2g Koni / Eibach Install

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy

The only weird issue I ran into when putting the struts back together was on the rears. The springs were so short that when the shocks were fully extended, the spring wouldn't be seated in the perches. It wasn't drastic like my springs were going to pop out, but it was enough to concern me. I figured if I'm autocrossing, and I get the car up on 3 wheels (which has happened), or if I hit an unexpected pothole and the shock drops clear out, it could be bad news.

To solve this, I simply cut the collar that goes between the strut rod at the top and the bushings. I only took about 1/8 inch at the top off, but it tightened the perches down on the springs tighter. It also tightened the cap up on the bushings much more securely. I felt much better with this assembly than without those cut off.

Here you can see how they looked originally, vs how they look after cutting. There's not a lot cut off, but it made all the difference.
    ...So what ended up happening is that you effectively drew the shock shaft higher, so the shock tops out sooner and holds the pressure on the spring, as opposed to the shock continuing to extend and releasing the spring to fly around and jam sideways into your tire? Good thinking, I'll probably end up doing much the same on my car here. Why does it look like your collars have a big fat weld around the middle? They look sorta home made.

We should see about a group revalving! I wonder if its a kit we can install ourselves...save some cash. I fully intend on buying another set of koni's when cash permits.

I can't wait to hear how these perform on the track. I bet they're a vast improvement over any 2gen suspension, Se-i, 85 hatch or not. BTW I need a rear swaybar setup for my hatch (wink wink)
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Prelude Si

what did you use to cut the top of those struts off, that is what im trying to figure out when I put them in my prelude

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Well, I'm gonna do it with a lathe. John used a grinder, like his post says. You could use a hacksaw.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

2ndGenGuy

Those sleeves are all corroded, thats why they look like that. Right where the bushing meets up with the strut top is where that corrosion is built up. They almost didn't come out.

I gotta give some mad props to my buddy on this project. He helped me out a ton, couldn't have done it without him. It was his idea to grind down those sleeves.

Next hatch I find, I'll snag that rear swaybar for ya. Only takes a few minutes to pull it off.
    Last edited by 2ndGenGuy; 02-05-2007 at 07:50 PM.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    81 HB LX, 84 HB S, 89 LX-i Coupe

Another proper project from beginning to end. Functional as all Hell, too. SO fresh and so clean.

DX User

Sick, Makes me wanna drop my 2g Accord to the flooor haha :P

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Do it!!! Wanna see that shit hella flush, yo!!!