Thread: My next part out project...

2ndGenGuy

My next part out project...

It's an 81 LX. Pretty spiffy. These people live about a half hour away from me. They are cool enough to let me rob pretty much anything I want off of this car for $50. I started pulling door panels, but it got too cold, and I think they were hinting at me to come back another day. I gave them the $50 and they said they were going to hang on to it.

I guess the story behind this one is that they bought it broken from the little old lady who had it forever. They drove the crap out of it and blew the head gasket, as what happens to EVERY CVCC ENGINE! (NOTE TO CVCC OWNERS: Don't let your car overheat even once! You're done!)

So here's the pics before I head up next weekend and rape the car of what I can. Trim, clips, panels, are all coming with me. Plastic is too. And the mounts for the hatch cover are there! Probably will snag the grille, headlights, chrome trim, basically see my 2g part out thread...

Here's the car:

It's kinda trashed, and I think I overpaid for $50. But oh well. These people are really cool, and very accomodating. And they used to have a 2g that they recently sold. So they're kinda Honda folks too.

More pics to come as the chaos ensues next weekend!

SEi User
    Vehicle
    81 HB LX, 84 HB S, 89 LX-i Coupe

Re: My next part out project...

Naw man, you did fine. It is kinda rough, but I'ma hook you up with a parts list and we'll get r done. Then, we'll be that much closer to getting our 1G's tight tight. That's cool they let you have at it on their property for $50. I'll hook you up on some ends for it. They're just hard to find anymore. You'll be platinum level Honda tech once you get all this work done. Sweetness once again.

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

Nice find, even if it can't provide the 5-speed you're really after. Looks like straight bumpers even -you can never have too many (every time I fit a good one it attracts damage), maybe even uncracked dash (almost unheard of here).

Yea, once you've got the luggage cover mounts, or a broken cover, there's not much more too it than some board, carpet & piano hinge... not that I've got round to fixing or refitting mine.

Almost wish we'd got LX here for the colour-coded trimmings, even though I can't understand the need for power steering & galdly do without the added complexity & weight of air-con (The Accord has great flow through ventilation -UNLIKE my CR-X).

Still can't believe ALL you guys seem to have '81's
    Anyone with a 'pre 80 model should put in for it's wheelarch liners -unless salted contries got them earlier...
    Last edited by 79cord; 02-03-2007 at 09:18 PM.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    81 HB LX, 84 HB S, 89 LX-i Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by 79cord
    Nice find, even if it can't provide the 5-speed you're really after. Looks like straight bumpers even -you can never have too many (every time I fit a good one it attracts damage), maybe even uncracked dash (almost unheard of here).

Yea, once you've got the luggage cover mounts, or a broken cover, there's not much more too it than some board, carpet & piano hinge... not that I've got round to fixing or refitting mine.

Almost wish we'd got LX here for the colour-coded trimmings, even though I can't understand the need for power steering & galdly do without the added complexity & weight of air-con (The Accord has great flow through ventilation -UNLIKE my CR-X).

Still can't believe ALL you guys seem to have '81's
    Anyone with a 'pre 80 model should put in for it's wheelarch liners -unless salted contries got them earlier...
    I kinda looked for an 81 personally. Seems Honda did a little something to decrease the head gasket failures of the 76-80 Accords. Of course, we still see failures, but the last year of a production style is what I like the most. I had some inside info. from some Honda techs. and they told me my "best" choice would be an 81. I guess the small changes Honda made to the 81 actually were viewed as addressing some problems. Having said that, I probably would have bought an 80 Accord if I HAD to. 2ndgenguy had a nice 81 fall into his lap and he chose to keep it when jis friend sold it. Brilliant move on his part. Seems like some of the other users have gotten lucky with snatching up an 81 Accord as well.

Not sure what year we got the front fender liners, but I know my 81 has them and my 78 did NOT have them. Maybe 79? Yeah, straight chrome bumpers (and corners) are rare indeed. Shiny chrome bumpers look tight on the old Hondas; rusty or bent chrome bumpers look like crap on the old Hondas.

I think John and I will get him a 5 speed and he can fab. up a luggage cover that will look good. That little green Accord has me excited. It looks like a frog, but it's gonna do us some good.

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

Seems Honda did a little something to decrease the head gasket failures of the 76-80 Accords
    I'm glad that seems to have been an CVCC problem, & partially explains the EK head changes during 1980 to the more 'EL' style head casting. & maybe the change in stud pattern for the 2nd gen, to move the head studs further from the combustion chamber to allow more movement before heads warped or cracked. I guess the CVCC lean fuel mixtures must have created a LOT more heat.

I've overheated both my EL '79 Accords briefly with no ill affect when their thermo-fan switches failed & I had to bypass the switches wiring to activate the radiator fan.

I really like that teal green, so much nicer than the browner metallic green that preceeded it. Green interior would take some getting used to though... probably not as surprising these days as the blue ... or Red for that matter, I don't think we ever got Red interiors here, mostly beige & blue with a rare few in black.

2ndGenGuy

Man I'd love to have a black interior. Those old Hondas with all black and wood trim look so tight. Even though the Accord didn't get the wood trim, the all black sure looks nice. The '81 SE with the charcoal and grey looks so pimpin'! I'll add that to my stable of Hondas one day maybe.

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

nice

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.