Thread: battery Light question

1988starter

battery Light question

Ok I am working on a new 86 LX and It's battery light is on but it shut of every so often what could the problem be I just changed the batery I thing the cold output is 405 and the hot is 500.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX
    can come from the carging system. Check your alternator and every wire comming to it... this might be the problem.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle
    1987 Hatchback phreak project

is it on?

if the car is not running, and tyhe key is at II then it comes on and stays on. if it is running, then i have no clue.
    www.cardomain.com/id/dxhatchback

1988starter
    it comes on after about 2000 rpm then goes off after you get below it.

1988starter
    Any other hints

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX
    no need for other hints, I gave you the correct answer :p

This is a problem with the charging system..

Check the wire connections around the alternator and remove any rust you find. If the problem is still there, get your alternator checked. It may not charge enough or the voltage regulator is busted and pumpingtoo high voltage... thus causing the problem at higher RPM

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

1988starter
    would that also make the battery drain every night. Or after it has been off for a while. I had it running last night but it just was drained this morning I will do what you said this morning or after class I only have a few today and no english. Also sorry for my stupidity I do trust what you say just making sure any other possibalitys are gone. Just one more thing are rotors hard to change out I have a manual and it does not look hard. Usually I only do the pads my self. thanx.
    Last edited by 1988starter; 05-08-2002 at 04:26 AM.

Vehicle
    1987 Hatchback phreak project

easy as pie

it takes about ten seconds, if you have an impact screwdriver or impact gun.
    1. Take off the wheel.
    2. Take the caliper off.
    3. There are two little flush mount screws between the bolts. Take ur impact tool with the right tip, and take them off. After that, the rotor will fall off.
    4. To put back on, reverse the steps and it will be oooo tay!

P.S Dont even bother tryin wit a regular screwdriver. I did and it didnt even budge. I had to walk all the way to my neighbors to borrow his impact gun. (my gun ate itself a week ago, dont forget to oil ur gun every time u use it boys and girls, cuz i forgot!)
    www.cardomain.com/id/dxhatchback

Vehicle
    see user name
    Originally posted by 1988starter
    would that also make the battery drain every night. Or after it has been off for a while. I had it running last night but it just was drained this morning I will do what you said this morning or after class I only have a few today and no english. Also sorry for my stupidity I do trust what you say just making sure any other possibalitys are gone. Just one more thing are rotors hard to change out I have a manual and it does not look hard. Usually I only do the pads my self. thanx.
    Definitely sounds like a charging system problem. If you run the car and the battery is still draining then that means the alternator is not charging the battery. So either the alternator is bad or the wiring somewhere along the line is bad. Do what carotman suggests and see what happens.
    Another thing you can do is use a voltmeter and test the voltage at the battery with the engine off and then with the engine on. With the engine off it should be about 12v with the engine on about 14v.
    good luck
    I'm out...
    89 Lx-i
    Performance: K&N filter,custom CAI, Accel coil, MSD 6aL ignition, magnecor wires, high flow injectors, FPR, sport exhaust,Tokico springs/struts
    Appearance: white gauges, side markers, headlight conversion, clear bumper signal/fog light conversion, SE-i center armrest and cupholder, SE-i leather seats
    17" ADRs with 205/40/17 khumos
    future plans: 16" or 17" rims(can scratch that one off the list 9-12-02), headers-high flow cat.-cat back piping. Rear disc brakes from SE-i, reground cam.

1988starter
    Well my mechanic let me borrow his match testor. My new battery is perfect and the altermator burried the needle on the high side I am currently looking for a new one I will try some junkyards tomorrow.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    if u wanna replace, get a refurbished one or an aftermarket altenator. dont go to the junkyard. of course u would get a cheap one, but how long would it last? do think about it before u hit the junk. those are crucial ones which need to be replaced by good ones, or cars in the junk that were driven in or just met with an accident.

1988starter
    Yea I am probably going to action auto the sell rebuilt ones and junked ones but I will go rebuit.