Thread: used carb trouble

DX User

used carb trouble

ok so last weekend i decided to brave the brutal cold and go up to the local pick a part, and pull a really nice shiny carb off a 1986 honda accord, a20a1, same engine as mine, mines a 1989, but when i get it home and get started ripping my old one out, i notice a difference on the top hat of the carb, there is three vac lines sticking out of the top hat on my at the back, but the carb i just got only has one, anyone know if its possible to swap top hats of carbs around, or will i have to get another carb.. (the right one) lol. any info would be much appreciated.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    hrm, they do swap over, just check that there are holes drilled in the carb body.

the two missing ports are for the air jet controller A,B,C

you can see where the rubber hose "B" & "C" go into the top hat and channel to each of the holes or jets.

"C" goes to what I assume is the primary air correction jet. The jet isn't located inside the top hat directly above the emulsion tube like the secondary Jet is, it's placed remotely along the path of "C" and exits into the float bowl.

"B" also exits from a jet into the float bowl but there is another passageway that is drilled down into the carb body.

"A" is the only other Air Jet Controller port and it's on the front of the carb, it also has a vertical passage through the carb.

All Air Jet controller ports can be plugged but doing so will cause the car to run richer.

The Jet hole for "C" was plugged up by me in that image.
    The Powervalve was also removed in that image

if you need to make a new top hat gasket you can get some blank thin gasket material and run it through a printer, I made a printable gasket image.
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showpost....3&postcount=30

run a test print on regular paper to check that the scale of the image and the printing settings are correct.

- llia

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Re: used carb trouble

sweet

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

DX User

thanks man for the info, one more question, is it possible for me to run this 86 carb on my 89 and get rid of some of those vacume lines? next question is, with all those dumb vacume hoses, which ones do i really need? i would like to get rid of them all..
    thanks again.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

well I'm not really the one to ask... the carb will run as long as there is vacuum and fuel, you can ditch all the lines if you want, it's pretty much what I did, there are a few you can put back on after to maintain some control over the ignition and brakes and powervalve.

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11067

- llia