Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holley 5200, or maybe another model?

2ndGenGuy

Holley 5200, or maybe another model?

So I got this free carb. It's a Holley 2 barrel, and it's a clone of a Weber 32/36 DGEV. It came off of an old AMC Jeep mail truck converted into an ice cream truck. I thought for sure it was a 5200 carb, but in more research, I found there are 5210's, 5220's, 6520's, etc. I was wondering if you guys could help me identify it so I can rebuild it and put it on one of my Hondas.

So there's this little thing that the 5200 doesn't have, and as far as I can tell, it's the only thing different between it and the 5200. I don't even know what it does. It's not in ANY diagrams that I could find. It looks like some sort of diaphragm, that maybe you hook vacuum to? I'm not really sure, it connects into the float bowl, but I don't know what it does...

Here it is with the cap.

When you take the cap off, here is the diaphragm.

This is the diaphragm removed.

And you can see the extra 'divot' out of the float bowl under where that diaphragm sits.

And also the difference between the main gaskets. The new 5200 rebuild kit came with the one on the left.

The thing is the rebuild kit also didn't come with a new diaphragm for that, like it did the other diaphragms.

This is a tag that was screwed onto the carb... Googling then numbers came up with nothing.

So I guess my questions are:

A) Anybody know how to identify this carb? I can't find anything online...
    B) Anybody know what that thing is in the picture that makes this carb slightly different from the 5200? Can I just cap it and call it a day?

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Re: Holley 5200, or maybe another model?

You have the tag , it looks like AMC, hence mail jeep. It is definatley in the 5200 familiy. The mystery valve is just a bowl vent, you may be able to just bypass it or hook it up to charcoal canister, or maybe run the vent into one of those little breather filters.
    That gives me an idea that a yaar or two later models of that engine may have throttle body FI that would bolt up to the same intake, AMC does thingis like that.. lol
    The engine is probably GM origin, 2.5 iron duke most likely.
    Gm used it in early s-10 but most of those had a varijet rochester carb,I think.I would check and see if the Holley was ever used on those s-10 2.5 too.

Try looking in a Holley book for the carb numbers and applications, but you already have the tag so a old school parts store should be able to get you a kit with that top hat gasket.
    As a last resort you could just fill in the cavity with gas resistant epoxy and file it down to fit the gasket you have.
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 12-10-2007 at 05:05 AM.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

OK it is from a 1979 AMC OHC 4 cyl. the Model is 5210-C
    That is not the GM 2.5 since it is OHV. The 5210-C is used on GM four cyl. engines from 1978-80 Chevettes USA till 82 Can. and AMC four cyl engines 1977-79, The AMC engine is of VW origin (121 cc)

you have to set the float level and float drop on those
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 12-10-2007 at 06:11 AM.

2ndGenGuy

Wow roodoo, thanks for the great help. How did you figure out what that came off of anyways? You have an old-school carb book of some kind?

That's pretty interesting that the AMC engine is a design from VW. It's wierd all the mish-mash engines that AMC had. Seems the 4.0 inline 6 is the one that lived on the longest.

So you suppose that if I ask for a carb rebuild kit for a 78-80 Chevette, that I will get all my gaskets and a float vent diaphragm?

Thanks again for your help man, that's simply awesome!

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

It pays to save those old Chilton hard backs
    I looked up the carb number on the tag, then cross referenced it.
    I wonder if that was a Rabbit engine or Audi OHC that they used in the Jeep.

Well that niched the idea of a throttle body fitting that base since it was not off a 2.5. I did not rememeber they used that Holley on Chevettes either.. learned from the research.. >>>
    I found a bunch of Chrysler products that used the Holley 5200 family too, crappy feedback systems BUT ALSO ran across some information about the turbos they used in Chrysler 4 bangers back then.

2ndGenGuy

Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    It pays to save those old Chilton hard backs
    I looked up the carb number on the tag, then cross referenced it.
    I wonder if that was a Rabbit engine or Audi OHC that they used in the Jeep.

Well that niched the idea of a throttle body fitting that base since it was not off a 2.5. I did not rememeber they used that Holley on Chevettes either.. learned from the research.. >>>
    I found a bunch of Chrysler products that used the Holley 5200 family too, crappy feedback systems BUT ALSO ran across some information about the turbos they used in Chrysler 4 bangers back then.

Sounds like your onto some junkyard turbo carb setups! If you find anything out, I'm interested. I read a little bit about the feedback carbs. Pretty interesting. Holley made a kit at one time that you could bypass the O2 sensor, and install a knob in your car. Then you could adjust your fuel mixture while you were driving. Sounds pretty sweet to me!

I'm going to head out to the guy's place where I picked up that carb. He's got 2 more of those Jeep mail trucks, I'll try to snag pictures of the engines just for shits and giggles. They were converted to ice cream trucks, and somehow this guy wound up with them. Maybe he had plans to build a badass off-road ice cream Jeep!
    Last edited by 2ndGenGuy; 12-10-2007 at 11:06 AM.

Vehicle
    ???? ????? ???? ?? ???

Rural Ice Cream Trucks! What a Idea!
    2004-2011?

2ndGenGuy

So I ordered the rebuild kit from my local parts store. Should be in tomorrow... we'll see how it goes.

2ndGenGuy

Thank you again roodoo! You are the man. Got that carb right spot on!

Here's the gasket I needed, and it came with the new valve. Wee! Time to get building now!

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

So what jets , emulsion tubes and whatnot does that carb have?
    I may be interested in getting one of those if there are more.
    121 CC equals what Liters? 151 is 2.5 so about 1.9?

2ndGenGuy

So what jets , emulsion tubes and whatnot does that carb have?
    I may be interested in getting one of those if there are more.
    121 CC equals what Liters? 151 is 2.5 so about 1.9?
    I haven't quite been able to get the emulsion tubes out yet. I soaked bottom end of the carb in some wheel acid for about 10 minutes to get all the nasty stuff off, then sprayed some WD40 down on the emulsion tubes in hopes that they'll come out tonight. If not, I'm going to have to get a small tap, and thread a screw in there to get them out. I hope I don't have to do that, since I think it will ruin them...

I've been trying all week to get a hold of the guy I got this one from. He's got 2 more of them (why he bought 3 ice cream trucks, I'll never know). I was hoping to take them off his hands and rebuild or just sell them. If I get a hold of one, I'll let you know. They seem to be in great shape for their age.

EDIT: Roodoo, I think you'll love this. I use it for everything! Google rocks:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=121+c...ches+to+liters

121 (cubic inches) = 1.98283474 liters

You can even get super complicated with currency conversion and metric to standard conversion too. Like wohdog was telling me gas is $1.71NZ / liter and I wanted to convert it to US dollars and gallons. I no longer felt bad about our gas prices:

http://www.google.com/search?q=1.70+...ars+per+gallon
    Last edited by 2ndGenGuy; 12-13-2007 at 06:29 PM.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

ice cream man draws kids young and old out of the house, I know the business is there, but if it is profitable I am skeptical. I always tip those guys cuz I don't see how they make money but I sure appreciate them.

keep us posted on the numbers inside that carb, good info...

2ndGenGuy

Well, there seem to be brass caps over the idle jets, which I didn't have time to figure out since I worked late tonight. Any idea of an easy way to get them out? They seem to be press fit... The Webers have nice screw on caps to get to those...

These sizes seem kinda wierd, but this is what they said on them:
    Primary Main Jet: 183
    Secondary Main Jet: 243
    Primary Air Corrector: 125
    Secondary Air Corrector: 180
    Primary Emulsion Tube: 75
    Secondary Emulsion Tube: 74

Maybe the 7 is the equivalent to the F? I dunno?

EDIT: Also, both the primary and secondary venturis say 4.0 on them.
    Last edited by 2ndGenGuy; 12-13-2007 at 10:49 PM.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

did you get another one or two carbs from the ice dreams guy?
    I am hunting around for a carb for the DX

Not sure about the numbers letters thing, maybe somebody knows the conversion

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

oh, on removing the caps, you find a good bulky place around the cap you can drill into with a very small drillbit. Preferably not on the bottom side, but it ok as long as it is not too close to the ventrui opening or vacuum track. Drill down beside the plug so you can get under it with a pick and pop it out. Another way is to drill into the plug itself ifyou can and screw in something you can grip to pull it out, they actually used to make a mini slide hammer kit to do this with.

2ndGenGuy

No, I couldn't get a hold of the guy. I know where he lives, but I don't really know him well enough to just stop by his place. Of course, I suppose he could be on vacation or something too, so I am going to call him after the new year. He also has a flywheel that I desperately need for my 1g Accord.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

any progress with the holley? I am going to the JY soon for parts to upgrade the DX, think I will add chevettes to my list.

2ndGenGuy

I got it all rebuilt, but it's been sitting up on the shelf while I work on my hatch. Now that the hatch is happy, I'm going to toss the Weber on my '84 hopefully on Sunday. Going to have to fab linkage, since the current linkage on it hits the intake manifold. Then I'll probably toss my spare Weber jets in it and see how it does. The sucky part is that the idle jets are behind these little pressed in brass caps. So I'll have to figure out how to get those out too.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

I used to have to pull those caps all the time, post a picture of that and I will tell you which method would be best.. if you want.
    check out my DX thread, I found a real Weber at the yard this morning.

2ndGenGuy

That was a deal you got at the junk yard man for a real Weber. I thought my Holley was a deal for free, but after buying 2 rebuild kits for it, I've paid almost $50 for it. I've been finding rebuilt Holley 5200 carbs for about $60.

2ndGenGuy

Hey Roodoo, scored some more Holley 5200s. Traded these two for a quick format and reinstall of Windows on a friends computer. Needed the high idle kickdown lever for the AMC carb on the 2g anyways.

Here's the tags, can you work your magic and identify them?

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Cool two to one barrel adapter !
    Are either of those sychronous or are both the progressive type?\I have been researching for oem carbs, seems like there were some sychronous opening webers oem on a few, very few cars, but I can't nail it for sure. Also would like to find one of those DFAV 40 I keep reading about on BMW 2002 sites, I can't locate anybody that still sells those.

Do you still have the first top hat gasket shown in this thread? can you measure the space between the two holes in front by the fuel inlet, I am having a hard time getting that gasket for this DGV 5A I have, of course I am trying to get it without ordering it from weber. lol I have one but it is way small, must have been for a 28/32.
    I went thru some old carb kit books yesterday at that obsolete parts store. I will look up your tags and post them shortley.
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 04-02-2008 at 03:37 AM.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

No luck on ID, those are tough ones. The motorcraft tag must be for a reman. per application. The other one runs in line with some Chrysler numbers but I can't find it.
    Good thing is you can get the jets and emulsion tubes out for a tuning kit. I would be interested to know what all of them are. That adapter kind of looks OEM, maybe for an industrial application of some sort.

2ndGenGuy

No luck on ID, those are tough ones. The motorcraft tag must be for a reman. per application. The other one runs in line with some Chrysler numbers but I can't find it.
    Good thing is you can get the jets and emulsion tubes out for a tuning kit. I would be interested to know what all of them are. That adapter kind of looks OEM, maybe for an industrial application of some sort.
    Thanks for checking. That adapter is for the air cooled VW motors. Bolts to the manifold where that old tiny Solex used to go. After I get the 2g going this week, I'll dissect these things and check out the jetting in all of them. Might need to anyways just to get the jets if the AMC carb doesn't run right. They're both progressive. I'd love to find a synchronous.

I'll check out that gasket too and get you the measurements tonight. I'll let you know how that AMC carb works out too.

Oh also, did you check eBay for those top hat gaskets? They sell them there for about $1.50 each.
    Last edited by 2ndGenGuy; 04-02-2008 at 09:04 AM.

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

If you can't find a gasket you could always get some gasket paper and cut out your own. It's tedious but works in a pinch.

C|